What role does faith play?

Options

Replies

• RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    What more could be said than that which we see around us every day and every night? Maybe we should all consider taking more time to look at the wonders which our Lord has created.

I thought Steve Jobs created my Ipod:noway:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Our whole universe was in a hot dense state,
    Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
    The Earth began to cool,
    The autotrophs began to drool,
    Neanderthals developed tools,
    We built a wall (we built the pyramids),
    Math, science, history, unravelling the mysteries,
    That all started with the big bang!

Since the dawn of man is really not that long,
    As every galaxy was formed in less time than it takes to sing this song.
    A fraction of a second and the elements were made.
    The bipeds stood up straight,
    The dinosaurs all met their fate,
    They tried to leap but they were late
    And they all died (they froze their *kitten* off)
    The oceans and pangea

See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya
    Set in motion by the same big bang!

It all started with the big BANG!

It's expanding ever outward but one day
    It will cause the stars to go the other way,
    Collapsing ever inward, we won't be here, it wont be hurt
    Our best and brightest figure that it'll make an even bigger bang!

Australopithecus would really have been sick of us
    Debating out while here they're catching deer (we're catching viruses)
    Religion or astronomy, Encarta, Deuteronomy
    It all started with the big bang!

I LOVE that song...especially the second stanza about Wolowitz and Koothropoli...
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    More like......there is not enough evidence for a higher power. Therefore, the default position is to accept the Null Hypothesis until such time that there is enough evidence to change our minds on the subject. It's not that many atheists are not willing to accept that a higher power exists......it's just that we haven't seen any good reason to....yet.

---

Have you ever seen a baby born? Watched a thunderstorn? Been healed of disease? Smelled wild flowers? Planted a garden? Felt truly loved?

Those are just a few reasons most folks find it impossible not to believe.

As yes......The Argument from the Ineffable.

Here's one for ya:

The Argument from Torquemada......See that burning stake over there? Therefore god exists.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    none. i motivate myself.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Oh wait! The role of Faith was played by Eliza Dushku!

She was Echo in the dolls house too wasn't she ?
  • jazzguy4him
    jazzguy4him Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to drop some truth in the thread to my Athiest buddy's out there:

Athiesm is still having FAITH that nothing higher exists. Just FYI.
    ---

As for me... I

..."walk by faith, not by sight..." 2 Corinthians 5:7

FYI you're wrong. It requires no faith to not believe. Does it require faith for you NOT to believe in Bigfoot?

SOME (not Patti) Believers are so condescending and never even recognize it.

I disagree my friend. You believe there is no higher power, I believe there is... we both believe something. Whether it's Bigfoot, Aliens, or God... we are both believing in something, thus that is where our faith lies.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Yes Patti, sorry...
    knew she'd come and ruin my fun *kicks rocks*
    :flowerforyou:
  • cllovesdw4eva
    Options
    We all worship something, whether we acknowledge the Creator or not.

That being said, has anyone ever made love to an atheist before? How do they reword things when they climax? Or do they?
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    An athiest has to have faith that there is no greater power. Therefore, atheists have faith. Honestly, I believe it takes more faith to not believe in God than to believe in God.

I believe you are misunderstanding what an atheist is :flowerforyou:

Your answer makes me wonder, and perhaps you can help us to understand you better.

From an atheist's point of view, what is "faith"?

As a believer in Jesus Christ I take faith from ......Heb 11:1 - 39 NIV translation of the bible.

Or for those who are atheist's. "Faith is the substance , ("the guaranty") of things hoped for, the evidence (or "convincing proof") of things not seen."

Does that help?
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Everything! If you don't believe that you can do it, it will not get done!
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Having faith is believing without seeing. If the truth was right before your eyes, it wouldn't be "faith." Not trying to sound corny, but I hope each of you who are looking for a reason to believe, will find it.

No wonder there's so many issues with depression in this world :-( Thinking there is nothing at the end of the road is a pretty sad existence.
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I have enough faith to know I'm already going to hell so why worry about it?
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    That being said, has anyone ever made love to an atheist before? How do they reword things when they climax? Or do they?
    I didn't think this thread could get any more ridiculous............
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options

---

As for me... I

FYI you're wrong. It requires no faith to not believe. Does it require faith for you NOT to believe in Bigfoot?

I disagree my friend. You believe there is no higher power, I believe there is... we both believe something. Whether it's Bigfoot, Aliens, or God... we are both believing in something, thus that is where our faith lies.

More like.....there's not enough solid evidence to accept that there is a higher power......just like there is not enough solid evidence to accept that there is a bigfoot, Loch Ness monster, etc. Lot's of really smart folks have been working on these questions.......not enough evidence.....therefore we can only accept the Null Hypothesis at the moment.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am very surprised in the post you received. More negative than positive.

I have faith in everything I do and I pray daily.

I'm not surprised. But ditto.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

---

As for me... I

"Believing something" is not faith. I believe my name is Brett. Because my parents named me that and mentioned it to me once. No faith required.

Because faith is believing without evidence. That's you, not me. Which is fine, but quit insisting that we're the same. We're not.
  • Kristiina67
    Kristiina67 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    What role did your faith play making you fat?
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My faith is a strong encouragement to me. I choose to believe in Jesus Christ. Many people do not.

Simple as that.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

Dumb post of the day. :noway:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Having faith is believing without seeing. If the truth was right before your eyes, it wouldn't be "faith." Not trying to sound corny, but I hope each of you who are looking for a reason to believe, will find it.

No wonder there's so many issues with depression in this world :-( Thinking there is nothing at the end of the road is a pretty sad existence.

As my father always said, "It's not the destination, its the journey."
This discussion has been closed.