What role does faith play?

Options

Replies

• Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I guess you'd have to define 'faith'
    Some ppl use the term to describe religion or religious beliefs.
    Some people use the term as something similar to belief- as in 'I have belief/faith I can do it.'
    My personal belief is that I get to do what I want with this one precious life- it's all on me... my choices, my consequences.
    I believe I can shape my life in a better way than I have done, and so here I am!
    So mote it be!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Never thought about it in those terms. My faith is an integral part of my life. Nothing really exists apart from it.

This
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    None for me...I'm agnostic!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    None....did it through my own determination coupled with support from my friends and family both in RL and on MFP.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have no faith in anything except in my own abilities to learn about the world and how it works......and to challenge myself to continuous improvement.

I don't just "believe" in stuff......especially if there is an authority figure telling me I have to believe what they say is the "truth".

I arrive at certain conclusions in life based on the best evidence I have at hand. I am very willing to change my mind about those conclusions if newer and better evidence is presented to me......preferably if it has gone through a double-blind testing process.

:-)
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My faith in God and Jesus is my everything, my number one in all that I do! When I need strength that is what I turn too in all things!
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Secret_Agent_007 Posts: 1,082
    Options
    None for me...I'm agnostic!

+1. :devil:
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    faith in myself makes me try harder

faith in a deity... does cursing the weather gods count?
  • TrinaSpinn
    TrinaSpinn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You should read Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst. Awesome book! We just finished a bible study group on this.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I have faith that eating right and working out will help me lose weight...like faith in god, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but that doesn't change the fact that I still maintain the belief. I also don't believe in organized weight loss like Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, or Slim Fast just as I don't believe in organized religion.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My faith in God can not be separated from any part of my life & that includes my quest to be thinner & healthier! Without God I am nothing and He has also given me some faith that I can do this big thing in little steps!
    Not sure just how folk cope without that?!?!?
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I guess you'd have to define 'faith'
    Some ppl use the term to describe religion or religious beliefs.
    Some people use the term as something similar to belief- as in 'I have belief/faith I can do it.'
    My personal belief is that I get to do what I want with this one precious life- it's all on me... my choices, my consequences.
    I believe I can shape my life in a better way than I have done, and so here I am!
    So mote it be!

This closely describes my belief...I am in charge of my life...if I want something enough to put the work in...it's possible.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Faith in yourself, of course it does.

Faith in a higher being, of course it does not. Higher Beings have bigger things to worry about.
  • brooklynsfinestballerina
    Options
    i'm extremely religious, but i wouldn't say faith played a big role in this. almost no role at all actually
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Eating right and working hard are elements of temperance [self-control]. These things tie directly to the faith (II Peter 1:3-11). We're supposed to take good care of our bodies (I Corinthians 6:20). At the same time, you cannot fitness to become an idol of sorts. There is a balance. Bodily exercise profits little (I timothy 4:8). Therefore, the Scriptures enable you to have the wisdom to balance body and spirit.

-Brian (www.wordsoftruth.net)
    ^^^^^this!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I worked out to Limp Bizkits cover of George Michael's "Faith" once.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have faith that I can do this. I have faith in myself and I am kicking a**.

If religion or god makes you feel better and is your inspiration that's great too. There is more than one way to get through this big world. Peace.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    None for me. More about being true to myself and the goals I set daily.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    An athiest has to have faith that there is no greater power. Therefore, atheists have faith. Honestly, I believe it takes more faith to not believe in God than to believe in God.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Well I guess it would be nice, if I could touch your body...
This discussion has been closed.