What role does faith play?

Options

Replies

• JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    100% for me. I don't eat right or work out. I just pray that God will melt the pounds right off me. :noway:
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have complete faith my chocolate chip cookies don't have any calories.

:( Sad panda.
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Also.....how do you know what kind of person god wants you to be? Do you get a phone call every day with your instructions?

He gave us the Bible which clearly outlines the things that are and are not the kind of person that He wants us to be, actually. But, the daily phone calls (aka prayer) are nice, too. :)
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    [1 Corinthians 6:20] ... Therefore honor God with your bodies.

[Quran 7:31] O children of Adam ... eat and drink moderately. Surely, He (God) does not love the gluttons.

[Proverbs 6:6] Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise!

- I try to remember God & be appreciative when I eat and while working out. So that my soul grows along with my body.
    - I also pray God keeps me safe from injury and from excess.
  • johnstegeman
    johnstegeman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This isn't my post, so I'm not going to distract from it with a theological debate...which always works out well on the internet. Stay on topic people. The OP asked a question, I just gave my opinion.
  • Kristiina67
    Kristiina67 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have faith in myself to do this.
    I personally think, everyone has faith they can do what they put their mind to. Doesn't matter what you believe in, you have faith in something.

Nicely said.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If by Faith you mean "religious beliefs"; the answer is a big "absolutely no part".

I am NOT an atheist or an agnostic. I do have religious beliefs but God does not control every aspect of my life. If He did; all I would have to do is pray and I would be fit. There would be no need for me to count calories and exercise.

I would encourage you to understand who God is through His word :) Prayer plays a huge role, but the bible clearly states many times that we have been given free will...therefore, we are told that there is also a definitive need for self-responsibility to follow through with the support God has given us.

How about dispensing with all the fluffy stuff and go directly to self-responsibility?
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I am interested in hearing what role your faith plays in your weight lose goals/success

Faith in THE CREATOR IS Everything to Me. But for Me, Spirituality is the KEY motivator in Me being able to lose weight and get healthy. Because wt loss/maintenance/WELLNESS Is My Great Challenge in Life (the thing that I have to overcome to feel successful/the thing that I have pursued most of My Life... ) it is a part of My Spirit. What ever "other" achievements I have in Life, I am Truly Grateful, but if My Weight is not "right" I can't celebrate those other achievements. OPRAH once said, "Her celebrity and wealth meant nothing to her until she lost the weight..." She could NOT "Fly" until she had Wellness (Normalized weight is a part of Wellness). When I heard her say that, I knew that Her Great Challenge in Life was also wt management and Wellness. (I can relate, ALL the "other" stuff basically comes Easy/or it seems but weight management and Wellness IS Her Life's purpose as it is Mine...Which makes it SPIRITUAL.)

ETA: FAITH and religion are two DIFFERENT things to Me. I'm DONE with religion; I have learned that religion SHOULD be a Bridge to get one to GOD, but all to often it (religion) becomes the god (with its traditions, false and/or ignorant teachers/preachers/Rabbis/Imams, rituals...) The GREAT thing about THE CREATOR is that The Prescription is set that WE DO NOT need a Bridge to get there if we choose NOT to use one!). UNFORTUNATELY, the IGNORANT THINK that for one to have FAITH or be a Believer means that one has to be in a religion...TRULY Ignorant! How THEY LIMIT the LIMITLESS!
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My faith in God can not be separated from any part of my life & that includes my quest to be thinner & healthier! Without God I am nothing and He has also given me some faith that I can do this big thing in little steps!
    Not sure just how folk cope without that?!?!?

Cope without that??? You make it seem like I'm deprived of something because I don't believe in your god. I don't use religion as a crutch to help me get thru everything. Whatever problems I have are mine to deal with and if I need help getting thru I have my husband and my family to walk beside me, not some invisible being that may or may not be listening to me. It's very narrowminded to believe that people are suffering because they don't have your belief structure. I do pretty good without it and I will continue to thrive without it.
    And to answer the OP's question, I have faith in my ability to succeed. Faith in religion? I don't believe in religion. However, if it helps you reach your goal, more power to you but I don't appreciate when people make it seem like it's the only way.

AGREE!!!!!
  • AR73
    AR73 Posts: 107
    Options
    I can't understand why so much bashing from non believers towards believers?

Please explain where there is bashing??

The ridiculing of the issue of Faith is what I consider bashing. Perhaps bashing is a strong word but I found it appropriate. The OP asked about Faith in a serious context. It is not a jokey post. Most people have expressed their views in a fair manner, yet quite a few have chosen to make a joke out of a serious issue. This I find disrespectful towards people of Faith, whatever that Faith might be.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    but I gotta think twice before I give my heart away
    and I know all the games you play, because I've played them too....\m/
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    While running on the treadmill almost 2 years ago and huffing and puffing like I was gonna die, I would say "praise God, praise Jesus" under my breath....it kept me going!!!

I pray on the treadmill too, but it sounds more like "GOD DAMN THIS TREADMILL (amen)"
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Also.....how do you know what kind of person god wants you to be? Do you get a phone call every day with your instructions?

He gave us the Bible which clearly outlines the things that are and are not the kind of person that He wants us to be, actually. But, the daily phone calls (aka prayer) are nice, too. :)

Clearly? I think not. Contradictions and outright nasty behavior (that is glorified) are all through out the bible. Actually....reading that thing is one of the major reasons why I am an atheist today. Much less cognitive dissonance to deal with. :-)
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    While running on the treadmill almost 2 years ago and huffing and puffing like I was gonna die, I would say "praise God, praise Jesus" under my breath....it kept me going!!!

I pray on the treadmill too, but it sounds more like "GOD DAMN THIS TREADMILL (amen)"

LOL I'm Christian and my prayers sound like that when I'm working out too. Especially when I'm doing Insanity! I've been known to ask God if it's some sort of sick joke He is playing on me lol.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I am interested in hearing what role your faith plays in your weight lose goals/success

Why do you ask? I am curious. I think in order to make sense of the replies you have to divide people up into

1. Those who have faith and whose faith plays a large role in their weight loss
    2. Those who have faith and whose faith does not play a role in their weight loss
    3. Those that do not have faith

Unfortunately, I think the replies of the third group (in which I include myself) are muddying the waters. Interesting question though!
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm an atheist. As a few have said before I have faith in myself and nobody else. As nobody else is going to do this journey for me.
  • tnlabaw
    tnlabaw Posts: 7
    Options
    To the OP, I notice a lot of comments from atheists, which is fine as you asked for opinions on this topic, and they are giving it.

For me, I know I've not treated this body, made in His image, that He gave me with proper respect, and that is among my motivating factors.

Believe that you can be the person God wants you to be, and that's even better.

Just wondering.......if we are made in his image.......why aren't we all invisible?

God's word in the bible is what gives us our instructions :). Nope, no phone calls...that would be nice though!
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I notice a lot of comments from atheists, which is fine as you asked for opinions on this topic, and they are giving it.

But here's another view.

If one purports to be a Christian, there should be no aspect of life untouched by the faith. It's all encompassing.

For me, I know I've not treated this body, made in His image, that He gave me with proper respect, and that is among my motivating factors.

The atheists and others are right in saying prayer won't stop from you eating too much and it won't help you get out and exercise, you have to do those things. But God can give you strength to get through it.

Believe in yourself, that's good.

Believe that you can be the person God wants you to be, and that's even better.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    but I gotta think twice before I give my heart away
    and I know all the games you play, because I've played them too....\m/

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    When I think about the Flying Spaghetti Monster it gives me the strength I need to keep going.
This discussion has been closed.