Calling all 5K times!

Options

Replies

• Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    In my twenties - 21:40, and in my late forties - 24:30, I am looking to beat my twenties goal - not sure how long it will take - but I can run 800m fast! (still! :happy: ).

Sounds like you are doing well! and will have a time in the 24s or better. Have fun!
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    A long long time ago, I could do one in under 30 minutes. My goal this summer is to be back under 30. Hoping to get there! Cheers!
  • achief192
    achief192 Posts: 192
    Options
    My fastest was 29:07 so far :)
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My best? 21:52 (7:03 pace. DAMMIT I WANT THAT SUB-SEVEN!)
  • gorunjogger
    gorunjogger Posts: 58
    Options
    PR 18:30, March 10 this year!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My first 5K last year was 36 minutes. Since then, I've gotten it down to a personal best of 32:09. Someday, I want to get under 30, then I'll set a new goal. Good luck and enjoy your first race! They are addictive! :bigsmile:
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I surprised myself with a 28:31 a couple weeks ago. :bigsmile:
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k in April at 29:28. It was road race with a really tough graveled trail (uphill) in the middle. I'm hoping to have a better idea when I run my next 1 in June(? Hopefully). Of course I'll be dealing with heat & humidity, but I hope to shave off a couple of minutes.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    My best time was a 22:10, 2 years ago. But, I warmed up really good and sprinted the entire race. Not sure why I didn't pass out at the end!! I generally average between 24 and 30 mins, depending on whether conditions- the hotter it is, the slower I am, motivation- some I run for fun with friends and some I am really trying for PR, and my overall fitness/ injuries, etc. Good luck!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your race! I just finished my first 5k on memorial day came in at 30 minutes. I didn't walk the whole way which was a first for me
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    My first 5k time was around 28 minutes and 45 seconds in 2010. I just ran my fastest time ever this past weekend... 22:56. I am hoping to get under 22 this year and ultimately under 20 minutes!
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am running my first 5K June 16th and will be thrilled with anything under 40 mins. I am not a runner, just finishing up C25K.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5K last fall, and this ten year old kid finished second out of about 200 people...grown men included (very athletic men, btw). Not sure what his official time was, but it had to be under 20 minutes.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    35 min for my first.
    36 min for my second.

I run/walk it, since I still can't run the whole time. It'll come though, just gotta be patient.
    My first one has a-bajillion racers (and I got a medal!!). My second one had about 250 (?), and I can honestly say, I liked it better.

I know what you mean. My first 5K (Greenville Hospital System Swamp Rabbit Trail 5K in May 2011) had about 2,000 participants. My second one only had a couple hundred (Benson Twilight 5K in Greer, SC October 2011) . I ran the Swamp Rabbit again this year, and there were over 3,000 participants. I wish I had lined up with the 10min milers, because I got stuck behind all the people who were strictly walking and I couldn't get around them. I think I could've finished about five minutes faster if my running segments hadn't been impeded. :angry: :grumble:
  • erintheinspiration
    erintheinspiration Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I ran my first one on Mother's Day in 40:23. My goal was to get under 40- not accomplished, LOL. There was a hill at the very beginning which psyched me out and I ended up walking more than I wanted to. I'm getting ready to put another one on my calendar and I KNOW I can beat that time! Good luck! :)
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k in 26.46 in Feb this year, after only about 8 weeks of running, having never run before in my life (not at school, and am now in my late 30's). Started C25K last year in Dec, I have done two others but they were slower times, and have done two 10k in 58 and 59 minutes. I am currently training for a half marathon, and would like to try a 5 k again soon to see if I have gotten better. Even though I run further now I still find it a challenge. I am hoping to get to a sub 25 5K towards the end of the year.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I did my first one without stopping or walking April 19th in 32:42. Slow I know but I was so pleased to actually DO it.

Have a race this weekend, my goal is to come in under 30:00

Have gotten my mile and a half time from 19:40 in January to 13:14 on May 15th!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Your goal for your first should be just crossing the finish line.

That said, my first was 29:42 and my best about 7 months later was 24:59.
  • Skywalker_Dub
    Options
    best time for 5K is 19:36 I always burn myself out on the 1st mile I hate it.

Average time is 21:00 to 22:00
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My first one was 27: something and I don't have a time for the most recent because the course was mis-marked (they had to redo the timing as a 2.6 mile). I would have been around 25 minutes based on my pace.

I'm shooting for a sub 20 minute before I get too much older and slower :smile:

Good luck to you. Take it slow and finish strong. I learned that lesson the hard way on my first race. I had to stop and walk a bit in the middle becase I took off too fast. I finished fine but was disappointed about having to walk.