Is there anyone on here not looking to be a size 2?

Options

Replies

• trybabytry
    trybabytry Posts: 181
    Options
    I love being curvy! It's not my curves I have a problem with -- it's the "texture" of them, LOL!

I'm currently a contemporary size 8 or a little smaller, though in vintage/older clothes I'm more of a 10 or a 12, and I wear mostly used stuff so that's what I go by.

PLUS, the other day I bought two pairs of stretchy workout pants at the same store, though different brands: one pair was a size X-small, one was a Large! And they both fit perfectly. So, clothing sizes? I mostly ignore 'em and go with what fits.
  • samanthaspears
    samanthaspears Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'd have to be in single-digit body fat territory to be a size two. I'm 5'9" and my ideal size is a 9/10.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    lol, size what????????? Girl no size 2 is for 9th graders......I am a real woman!

Oh and this is just plain offensive. Some of my tops are US size 2s. Am I not a real woman because I'm naturally quite petite?

It's sad to see how limited is the experience of some people on this forum. Hate to break it to her, but I see lots of Size 2 women on the street.

In addition, the most expensive clothes tend to be made in smaller sizes because wealthy women are generally slimmer. It's just a fact.

Where are you from? I generally find that people are less shocked by the notion of smaller clothing sizes in parts of Europe.

Also, I really wish I could say I was wealthy :(

NYC. It's known for being a slim city compared to many other U.S. cities. There's are tons of thin people.

I've taken classes at the Fashion Institute of Technology, and have seen many young, very naturally thin people who are into fashion. There are also a number of Asian foreign students, many from Korea right now, and the vast majority are petite, tiny, tiny, little women. I feel enormous, and I'm 5'2" and 101 pounds. (I'm only half-kidding about feeling like an elephant.)

When I get better at sewing, I think I will look into Asian pattern books because at least on top I'm built more like a small Asian woman. I've also bought from brands like Ferragamo because Italian and Japanese women (big part of their sales demographic) are smaller so they things that will fit me.

I wish I could say I was wealthy as well. I'm not, but I know something about clothing sizing.

But anyone who has lived in a diverse setting, or on either of the Coasts (especially NY, LA, or SFO) or been abroad knows that Size 2, while small, is not that rare.

Yeah I speculated that you were either European or from NYC. Here in England, we're catching up with the US in terms of obesity, but it's still not uncommon to see a lot of slim women and girls walking around. I have boobs and a butt, but I've never really been much larger than a UK 10 (US 6), even at my heaviest. I have a small waist and my frame isn't particularly large, but at my heaviest, I was carrying more weight than I personally felt comfortable with. Everyone on here is different and I would never dream of judging someone for NOT wanting to be a size 2/4/whatever, so I don't see why people think it's acceptable to judge women who are.
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It may be cultural. White women tend to want to be much thinner than women of colour. I am not one of those white women..lol. but...most white women I know your height want to be 125, not 140. Weird huh? I dunno...I think Beyonce had the perfect body IMO...I see Uma thurman and think she looks sickly?

White women need to be taking lessons from our sisters of colour and love their cuves more IMO.

I'm her height & 140 would never do for me. Been there already. I carry most of my weight in my belly & my butt just isn't there. It barely was there when I 185. I could never look like Beyonce. I'm not a pear. It's hard for some ppl to get rid of their belly unless they go down 2 125lbs.

true...you have to work with your natural shape that's for sure. If you naturally are an apple...its much harder to look "thin".

My body is weird. I carry my weight in my belly, but I'm pretty sure I'm an hourglass. Ppl who have seen my pics, call me one. My waist is 29.5 & my hips are 38. Pretty sure that gap is too large to be an apple. But u def have to work with ur shape.

i have an 11 inch difference in my waist and hips
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK so your dress sizes don't mean anything to me but I'm heading for chunky rather than fat but have no wish to be thin.
  • madamepsychosis
    Options
    I'm in the UK so your dress sizes don't mean anything to me but I'm heading for chunky rather than fat but have no wish to be thin.

Just add 4 onto the sizes to get the UK size:
    US 2 = UK 6
    US 4 = UK 8
    etc, etc.

I think America also has odd-numbered sizes, but I've never been able to work out what they mean for the life of me.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    It may be cultural. White women tend to want to be much thinner than women of colour. I am not one of those white women..lol. but...most white women I know your height want to be 125, not 140. Weird huh? I dunno...I think Beyonce had the perfect body IMO...I see Uma thurman and think she looks sickly?

White women need to be taking lessons from our sisters of colour and love their cuves more IMO.

I think this is probably true because of the difference in body shapes. I feel like more women of color will store excess body fat in their hips so you have a little more leeway. When I gain weight I tend to just get a bigger butt and thighs. My friend on the other hand, her weight goes to her stomach and breasts right away.
  • jenia1976
    jenia1976 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think if you are happy with yourself and healthy. What does it matter what others think?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm right around 5'4" and I fluctuate between 145-150lbs. My highest weight was 203lbs, but I started off at 180ish in April 2010. My goal weight was 150, which I hit in Sept 2010. I see a lot of women on here that are the same height as me and their goals are far lower than mine - and a lot who are starting off where I am right now. I figure a weight loss goal is a very individual thing. There's NO WAY I want to be 120lbs or smaller. I was very tiny in high school and when I look at my pictures, I realize that I didn't look very healthy even back then. So, there's NO WAY I'm going to go down that small at 36 years old. I'm happy and content at 150lbs. My body is happy and content at this weight. It is VERY easy for me to maintain. I can walk into any store, pick a size 10 off the rack and it'll fit me. :)

Do what feels best for you and your body. Don't worry what anyone else is doing. :)
  • Pedro_Infante
    Pedro_Infante Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just want to be a Sexy Be-Atch! Owooooo!!!
  • runandbemum
    Options
    Hi there
    Being in the UK I'm not sure what size 2 is, but my goals are fairly moderate as well. I know I wouldn't ever suit really skinny and actually don't like the idea that skinny is good. I just want to be more beautifully curvy instead of fat!!!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    Being in the UK I'm not sure what size 2 is, but my goals are fairly moderate as well. I know I wouldn't ever suit really skinny and actually don't like the idea that skinny is good. I just want to be more beautifully curvy instead of fat!!!
    Its a UK 6
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

US 2 = UK 6
    US 4 = UK 8
    etc, etc.

I think America also has odd-numbered sizes, but I've never been able to work out what they mean for the life of me.

The odd numbered sizes are juniors (teenager) sizes.

0,1,3,5,7,9 = clothes cut more for teenagers. Low rise, not a lot of extra room in the hips, thighs or butts. Similar to how most people view a teenage girl as being.

2,4,6,8,10 (up to size 16 or 18) = misses clothes. These are what most women wear. Most of them are cut a little wider through the hips, thighs, butts to accommodate the curves that adult women tend to have.

16 (some brands is 18), 20, 22, 24, etc = These are plus size clothes.
  • madamepsychosis
    Options

US 2 = UK 6
    US 4 = UK 8
    etc, etc.

The odd numbered sizes are juniors (teenager) sizes.

0,1,3,5,7,9 = clothes cut more for teenagers. Low rise, not a lot of extra room in the hips, thighs or butts. Similar to how most people view a teenage girl as being.

2,4,6,8,10 (up to size 16 or 18) = misses clothes. These are what most women wear. Most of them are cut a little wider through the hips, thighs, butts to accommodate the curves that adult women tend to have.

16 (some brands is 18), 20, 22, 24, etc = These are plus size clothes.

Thank you so much! That was seriously bugging me for such a long time haha.
  • gombolyu
    gombolyu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just want to be a Sexy Be-Atch! Owooooo!!!

Haha, me too. I had to promise to my partner, that I won't be very slim. More toned body, rounder *kitten*, and flatter abs are ok, so I wanna stay curvy.:)
    But for me it's also important to get fit, have more endurance, energy and power.
  • melscrum
    melscrum Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and my goal weight is 150, which is the higher end of the healthy weight range for my height. I don't want to be skin and bones though, I am fairly curvy.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft4 and looking to be 126. This still would not be that thin for me as I do not hold weight well. I think at this weight I would be a UK size 10, Possibly an 8/10. Everyone here has different goals, some to lose weight, some to gain weight. We can all support each other no matter what :)
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and currently weigh 138lbs, I started at 168lbs. I'm a UK size 10-12 now, (US size 6-8) and just getting down to a 10 will suit me fine. Not aiming for a size 6 (which would be a US size 2....no thank you!).

I have around 12lbs left to goal but if I lose another 5lbs and decide I'm happy I'll stop there and start maintaining. I lose so slowly anyway.
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 328 lbs. I'm 5'3 and was size 28 (UK). Honestly I'll be thrilled if I can get to a size 12/14 UK. My goal weight is 140. I don't want to be mega skinny, just healthy, toned and curvy (not fat)
  • shere62
    shere62 Posts: 7
    Options
    i'm working on getting down to 180, from there to 150. if i lose too much I start to look like i'm sickly and not healthy.