What annoys you about your Zumba class?

Options

Replies

• yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    F-ing mirrors... I really don't want to see myself, or for anyone else to. Seriously if I could be invisible when I wanted to, that would be a dream come true. Also, when the instructor is late. Or when the instructor has to cue up every song. I try to keep moving, but I'm just picturing the blood pooling in my legs while we wait.
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The only thing that annoys me about my zumba class is that my amazing instructor decided to grown up and get a job when she finished nursing school ;) Now she cant teach as many classes. She is an awesome instructor, and so far, I think that has ruined me on all other instructors.

As far as overcrowding, when she taught at the Y, they had to institute a class limit. The day before class, you could call in and sign up for her class, and you got a wristband when you arrived for class. That way you didn't show up and there were no spots available. It worked really well. If people cancelled, the Y would call the next person on the wait list.

I personally love a mix of music.

As for not getting a good workout...you have to find a good instructor. I run minimum of 3-5 miles 3-6 times a week, lift, and I still consider zumba my hard workout for the week. I can't say it enough - zumba good or bad is ALL about the instructor.

You stole the words right out of my mouth! My regular instructor is AMAZING and after taking her class i can't enjoy Zumba with any other instructor...i love her enough to drive to a scary part of town and take the free class she teaches at her church once a week (i normally go to the Y for regular class)

The only complaints i really have are:

1. Small, unattended children running around (this doesn't happen much anymore because my instructor has started making announcements at the beginning to tell people she won't allow it- lol)

2. When i leave to go get a drink of water and i come back to see someone has stolen my spot (wouldn't be a huge deal but my friends and i like to zumba next to each other)

3. Our YMCA is soooo hot to the point of passing out and it seems like there are more and more people at every class so we all get packed in like sardines :grumble:

That being said, Zumba is BY FAR the best aerobic workout i have ever experienced! It feels like dancing in the club with my friends and not so much like a workout...I love that my instructor plays 30% reggaeton, 30% hip hop, 20% latin and 10% Bellydancing type music. And when those booty shaking song come on i MOST DEF get all SKANKY :bigsmile: I love how it helps me get in tune with my body and what it's capable of...Viva La Zumba :drinker:
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think the worst is when an instructor mouths the words to every single song and exxagerated facial expressions like a mime!
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The only thing that annoys me about my zumba class is that my amazing instructor decided to grown up and get a job when she finished nursing school ;) Now she cant teach as many classes. She is an awesome instructor, and so far, I think that has ruined me on all other instructors.

As far as overcrowding, when she taught at the Y, they had to institute a class limit. The day before class, you could call in and sign up for her class, and you got a wristband when you arrived for class. That way you didn't show up and there were no spots available. It worked really well. If people cancelled, the Y would call the next person on the wait list.

I personally love a mix of music.

As for not getting a good workout...you have to find a good instructor. I run minimum of 3-5 miles 3-6 times a week, lift, and I still consider zumba my hard workout for the week. I can't say it enough - zumba good or bad is ALL about the instructor.

You stole the words right out of my mouth! My regular instructor is AMAZING and after taking her class i can't enjoy Zumba with any other instructor...i love her enough to drive to a scary part of town and take the free class she teaches at her church once a week (i normally go to the Y for regular class)

The only complaints i really have are:

1. Small, unattended children running around (this doesn't happen much anymore because my instructor has started making announcements at the beginning to tell people she won't allow it- lol)

2. When i leave to go get a drink of water and i come back to see someone has stolen my spot (wouldn't be a huge deal but my friends and i like to zumba next to each other)

3. Our YMCA is soooo hot to the point of passing out and it seems like there are more and more people at every class so we all get packed in like sardines :grumble:

That being said, Zumba is BY FAR the best aerobic workout i have ever experienced! It feels like dancing in the club with my friends and not so much like a workout...I love that my instructor plays 30% reggaeton, 30% hip hop, 20% latin and 10% Bellydancing type music. And when those booty shaking song come on i MOST DEF get all SKANKY :bigsmile: I love how it helps me get in tune with my body and what it's capable of...Viva La Zumba :drinker:

Love love love your comment!!!!!!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Way too many people.
  • kimmers1027
    kimmers1027 Posts: 122
    Options
    That is exactly why I bought it and do it at home... So much nicer. :))
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Nothing since it is in my living room on my Wii! lol
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    Options
    Hate Zumba. Everything about it.

I did two classes and I find it gets boring very quickly. I don't break a sweat, ever. My last class was yesterday.

And the above quote sums it up for me now. Glad it is over!

You didn't have a very good instructor then. My instructor is AWESOME! We never stop moving and EVERYONE in the class in drenched within the first 15 minutes. I typically burn 600-650 cals in an hour and never get bored but am I always so thankful when it's over lol
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My instructor finally found a great solution to the problem of children. We have a VERY large room, and we probably have close to 100 people or more every week, which brings in a lot of children (big and small). Small children were always under foot, big ones wandering in and out to the bathrooms, etc. So the last few weeks, after months of unsuccessful pleas to keep your children with you or on stage, she brought out the painters tape. Now, we put a line of tape from front to back at least 1/4 way from each side. If you have children under 18, you need to stay on the "kid" side of the tape WITH them. It has worked like a charm and EVERYONE is much happier.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    You guys just made me not want to go to a class. :(

Don't let the comments here deter you. The trick is to try a couple of different classes to find one that fits your needs. The very first class I went to was packed and I had about and arm's length all around me. Fortunately we all moved in the same direction. I liked it so much that I looked into a class closer to home and found the one I registered for with half the attendees. I checked out another one still to see what other styles were available in my area. Three totally different styles: one more Reggaeton with more reggae and R&B flavored music; the one I registered for is strictly Latin beats and songs (even the pop songs she incororates from time to time - like Michael Jackson - have a latin beat; the last one I tried uses a crazy mix of whatever she feels like hearing. I don't mind a set list that's not strictly latin but please just make it flow.

All instructors and classes are not created equal. I love my zumba lady even though she tries to kill me.
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The word Zumba
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I love my Zumba!

BUT...

I get annoyed when the room is too small for the group and people are 3 feet from the wall and the instructor has us doing moves that requires us to move 6-10 feet in one direction. And then makes the comment that "it's ok if you bump into each other, you're still burning calories!"

WTF? I came here to get in a workout and have fun, not get trampled!!

Also, when the instructor does not have a playlist set up ahead of time and has to cue up every. single. song.

Last, when people come in late and try to insert themself into a row that does not have room! Back row, people, come on!

What annoys you about your Zumba class (or any similar class)?

^^^ Yup, pretty much everything you said!
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Thank you I agree! I thought I was the only person lol. I have never really gotten good work out from zumba. I WANT TO SWEAT, not smell other people's sweat
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    The one lady that wears a belly dancing belt during class. And a teacher that doesn't know how own dance.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options

This. I tried it over & over. I have a friend that keeps inviting me & I just cant get her to understand, I.DON'T.LIKE.IT.
  • rodafer
    rodafer Posts: 63
    Options
    I honestly cant think of one thing that annoys me about my Zumba class. I am so sad for those of you who are so crowded you cant move. That would be horrible! My instructor is amazing and the group that goes is stellar. Its so fun! I wish you all had a fun class :-( MOVE TO WYOMING!!! no one here ha ha ha!
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options

I did two classes and I find it gets boring very quickly. I don't break a sweat, ever. My last class was yesterday.

And the above quote sums it up for me now. Glad it is over!

I'm with you guys. I found the entire class annoying and not a very good workout.
  • JessaAnn407
    JessaAnn407 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For me it is yelling and making cat calls. I hate talking or anything like that while I am zumbaing, so it drives me nuts to hear all the women around me do it. It is also part my instructor, she does everything so over the top you have to think "Realy?! This isn't a place to pick up men, just do the routine."
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    F-ing mirrors... I really don't want to see myself, or for anyone else to. Seriously if I could be invisible when I wanted to, that would be a dream come true.

Agreed, I know that I am in a process of getting my body to where I want it, I don't want to see myself jiggling and looking dumb in the mirror. lol.

I stay in the back row because I am still new to Zumba, only been 2times so far, I love it but I'm learning the style and the moves they use so I don't want to look like an idiot when I have to pause for a moment to watch the instructor when she switches moves...

Taking my first Hip-Hop class today at 4:30, we will see how THAT goes... LOL
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have been to Zumba classes at three different studios under 6 different instructors. They are ALL different.

The one I attend now is my absolute favorite.

I don't like a class if it doesn't feel "dancy" ... if we are doing kicks, squats, jumping jacks, and lunges, that is NOT zumba! This was the problem I had with one place.. I did like her "toning" songs.. but the others just didn't feel right to me.

The class I attend now is taught by a lady who is also a personal trainer, she always has a box of coin skirt things if anyone wants to borrow and wear one.. her routines are well thought out, fun, easy to follow, but still a great work out!

I don't care for big classes or classes on carpet. I also don't like kids running around.. Zumba is my time for myself, so I leave my kid at home.