What annoys you about your Zumba class?

Options

Replies

• lorigreg
    lorigreg Posts: 61
    Options
    If you didn't break a sweat, you weren't doing it correctly.
  • lorigreg
    Options
    i tried zumba.... made me sick. It wasn't dancing and it wasn't exercise... :P I couldn't do full extensions, and I didn't break a sweat... :P I'd rather do a body pump class or a turbo kick(*kitten*) class...
  • lorigreg
    Options
    If you don't break a sweat, then you aren't doing it correctly. (Just like I don't think I'm replying to this post correctly.) LOL
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    All that dancing...so annoying. :)
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Or you are already in good shape and your body performs the movements too efficiently to make any difference.
  • mojo1115
    mojo1115 Posts: 21
    Options
    I have had really good luck with my Zumba classes. I did have a couple of issues but for the most part, time has just made them disappear.

First of all, I love my hip hop Zumba classes. The workouts are intense and I feel like I am in a music video. But I also dig my Latin based classes as well. I really channel my inner Latin Love Goddess.

A packed room gets hot and I wish there was more space for everyone. I really hate touching other people's sweat, ewww. But with that said, more people creates more energy and I guess that's a good thing.

I have only had 2 instructors that I did not care for. One had absolutely no rhythm and she bounced around like a grasshopper. You have to audition to instruct and I am just confused as to how she got through. But she is an amazing PiYo instructor. The second was cute and fun but she had no energy and at the end of every song she "break it down". I don't know why, but I really just wanted to hit her every time she would "break it down"

When I first started, I could not dance to save my life. But I stayed in the front rows and busted my butt till I got the steps right. After learning the basics and then the routines I turned into one of those people that a lot other people hate. Like I said, I started to feel like I was in a music video and I 'll be damned if I am not channeling my inner video vixen. I come late on occasion because life gets in the way and I find a spot up front (for shame!!) and then proceed to check out how my body moves when executing every step. And my "sexy" face is usually just me concentrating and trying not fall. But hey, I look good doing it and I am going to keep looking better as the weight falls off and the muscles tone up.

Keep on dancing!!!!
  • lorigreg
    Options
    You guys just made me not want to go to a class. :(

Don't let the comments here deter you. The trick is to try a couple of different classes to find one that fits your needs. The very first class I went to was packed and I had about and arm's length all around me. Fortunately we all moved in the same direction. I liked it so much that I looked into a class closer to home and found the one I registered for with half the attendees. I checked out another one still to see what other styles were available in my area. Three totally different styles: one more Reggaeton with more reggae and R&B flavored music; the one I registered for is strictly Latin beats and songs (even the pop songs she incororates from time to time - like Michael Jackson - have a latin beat; the last one I tried uses a crazy mix of whatever she feels like hearing. I don't mind a set list that's not strictly latin but please just make it flow.

All instructors and classes are not created equal. I love my zumba lady even though she tries to kill me.

Remember that the question was what annoys you and therefore, you are only getting the bad which there is always bad with the good. I have taken many different exercise classes and Zumba is my favorite. If you have a good instructor and a good place to go, you can really work up a sweat and I can guarantee you will feel it. I am still new to it but can't wait to go tonight. I KNOW this is going to finally get me to my goal.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I LOVE zumba class. Our location is large enough for all of us but has poor air circulation sometimes so it gets HOT.

I don’t care how others dress or don’t dress, how hard you do or dont work in class. I am there for me and my health. Our instructor is Awesome! Go Jill! She is just like the rest of us doing this for ourselves…

Zumba allowed me to go back to work Monday after having surgery on my knee Friday. Torn medial meniscus. Surgeon told me my muscle structure was excellent. Also I am down 37 # and 4 dress sizes!! Better eating but zumba has pulled everything in more than it was...
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    As a Zumba instructor, I first read this post to try to get tips about how to make my classes better. The more I hear what people DON'T like the more I can improve, right?

After reading through a few pages I started to see a pattern - and it's something I can't do anything about ....overcrowding. Your facility should have a "maximum" on the room and stick to it.

As for the "Hip Hop Zumba' vs. "Latin Zumba" - there is no such thing. Zumba is Zumba. It's SUPPOSED to be 70% Latin/International music and 30% "American Pop" (or country, or hip/hop, or...you get the idea). Any instructor actually licensed to teach Zumba knows this...whether they stick to it or not.

My first Zumba class I didn't break a sweat at all - because I was unfamiliar with the routine and therefore wasn't working hard. Now that I'm teaching, I have a BUNCH of routines that are all memorized. Even with the muscle memory I sweat HORRIBLY! To the point of using waterproof mascara because the sweat makes my makeup run down my face! (I would NOT wear makeup but I teach right after my 8-5 job).

The comment about how Zumba is not exercise...REALLY?!?! You seriously think that? One of it's tag lines is "Exercise in disguise". Yes, you're dancing - how is dancing NOT exercise? It's also based on interval training (although that's not something that's discussed a whole lot). Have you ever noticed in class you have some songs that are faster/harder than others? In a one-hour Zumba class you can burn anywhere from 400-1000 calories! How is that NOT exercise? I realize Zumba isn't for everyone, but wow....

Of course I'm biased, I was a dancer from the time I was 5 until now (I'm 38). I love Zumba and I enjoy MOST of my students. ;)
    I, too, hate crowded and overheated classes. I also have a hard time with people who stare at themselves in the mirror - because those are the ones that tend to bump into others by not paying attention to the cues I'm giving them.

OK, I think I'm done now. Sorry to interrupt.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Zumba every Friday evening - it was a great way to kick off the weekend, and an amazing workout. But the class got SO popular it was just wall-to-wall people, and I was constantly getting kicked by people who had NO RHYTHM whatsoever. I'm sorry but if you can't follow a simple left-left, right-right and stay on cue, perhaps Zumba is not the class for you! Maybe you should try Spinning where you can't hurt the people around you. Get out of my way!!!

Plus there was ALWAYS someone farting in my vicinity and it was FOUL. When I'm gasping for air, smelling someone's nasty farts is the WORST. Also a lot of people who didn't wear deodorant.

Between the farts, the B.O., and the people who were too slow/lazy/uncoordinated/or just too stupid to keep their limbs under control, I quit going.

You sound fun :yawn:
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    I used to go to Zumba every Friday evening - it was a great way to kick off the weekend, and an amazing workout. But the class got SO popular it was just wall-to-wall people, and I was constantly getting kicked by people who had NO RHYTHM whatsoever. I'm sorry but if you can't follow a simple left-left, right-right and stay on cue, perhaps Zumba is not the class for you! Maybe you should try Spinning where you can't hurt the people around you. Get out of my way!!!

Plus there was ALWAYS someone farting in my vicinity and it was FOUL. When I'm gasping for air, smelling someone's nasty farts is the WORST. Also a lot of people who didn't wear deodorant.

Between the farts, the B.O., and the people who were too slow/lazy/uncoordinated/or just too stupid to keep their limbs under control, I quit going.

You sound fun :yawn:

By the way - the "farting" in class is called "Crop Dusting".
    Being an instructor I'm up in the front/middle - the fans ALWAYS blow those smells my way!
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Wow--pretty temperamental bunch! Either that or every Zumba class I go to has been awesome. Then again, I only do it when I can make one of the classes at my gym. If I did it a LOT then I might start to notice things that annoy me.

I guess since I only go to Zumba classes occasionally, I would say that the "cliques" bother me. You know, like the clusters of girls that get together and act like the teacher's pets.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Or you are already in good shape and your body performs the movements too efficiently to make any difference.

See I don't agree with this. I am in VERY good shape and I sweat my *kitten* off doing Zumba. I sweat my *kitten* off with every exercise I do. Because I do it to full capacity and correctly.
  • redmapleleaf
    redmapleleaf Posts: 56 Member
    Options

this exactly. I'm doing the moves correctly in Zumba but it has to be the least favourite workout. I'd rather spin or do a body pump class where I know I'll break a sweat and get my HR up.
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't like when it's non-latin music for much of the class either, that and some of the instructors have such complicated moves that when you have your heart rate up, it's a big let down because you really slow down and sometimes stop in order to figure out what the heck they are doing. For the most part I like it though. Our main instructor stresses that it's to work at your own pace, burn calories and have fun.

Edit: And I must add there is a group of people that run over and check their iphones between every song. REALLY??!
  • ahoag_83
    ahoag_83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess I have a great instructor and belong to a good class. I always have a blast and don't have any of the problems that all of you are speaking of.
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I wish my gym offered more evening Zumba classes. Right now the only weeknight classes are on Wednesday and Thursday night and the Wednesday one is CROWDED. This is also probably because the girl who teaches those two nights is awesome. She pushes us hard, her playlist is always set up so we hardly stop, and she incorporates strength training moves. I wish people who showed up late would go to the back of the room though. I know life gets in the way or whatever, but everyone in that room has a life as well and still managed to get to class on time. It's just so entitled to think you can show up late and just shove your way into the already crowded front and everyone there just has to deal with it and work around you. The Saturday instructor isn't as good, his playlist is always all over the place so he has to stop afer every song to go and change it. His class is better than nothing but I don't like it as much.
  • juliebmomof3
    juliebmomof3 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Zumba on my Wii to avoid such situations lol
  • bbinka
    bbinka Posts: 1
    Options
    I do hate when people come in late and squeeze inbetween you and other people... very inconsiderate. If you are late, suck it up and go to the back. other people came early to get a good spot. You want a good spot too? then make an effort to come early like the rest of us.

Over crowding is the main reason I dont zumba anymore... I'm an inshape member and I just go to turbo kick boxing, and r.i.p.p.e.d
    and then occasionally PiYo... atleast it aint crowded there!
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    The over crowding is the worst. They really need to put a limit on how many can take that class and they don't. Last night some girl made me think of "one of these girls is doing their own thing, one of these girls is not the same"....she was all over the map...no idea what routine she was following, but it wasn't the instructor and next thing you know she is on her *kitten*. Still not sure what that was all about. Sat's instructor toned it down too much and I'm really not getting much of a burn from that class...way too many low/med insity songs this last change up.

Overll my classes are pretty good and it would take quite a bit to make me stop going.