What annoys you about your Zumba class?

Options

Replies

• sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    i LOVE zumba. but i have to agree...popular class is always over-crowded. the instructor favorites are always upfront & of course...they look like they dont need zumba! smh...glad i'm there for ME & my health

They don't look like they need it because they do it. ;)
  • vgainey06
    vgainey06 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love my Zumba class and love the fact that fitness moves are incorporated with dance. I feel like I get a real work out when I'm done. I have a trainer and don't sweat as much as I do when I'm done with a Zumba class. Also, depending on the instructor, you will get a different type of workout. I take Zumba from 3 different instructors and each one adds a different spice.

I have to agree that this is a popular class and therefore oftentimes over crowded but I still manage to get a good workout in.
  • littleleers
    Options
    [...".Is this a fact that most gyms use sprung floors? I would hope so, but didn't think so..."]

I belong to L.A. Fitness, a big health club/gym chain, and yes, their aerobics dance floor definitely floated or sprung. It is for safety of course, but it comes down to the liability issue.

It is important to know ahead of time (as you likely are aware) because a floor with no give is a sure way to suffer knee, hip, and back problems.

Zumba workshops do teach some safety stuff, but no mention of dance/exercise floor requirements. Most Zumba instructors that work in a chain health club are required to have group fitness certification. And that is for liability reasons and to insure that instructor conducts classes safely. Zumba encourages their participants to start their own businesses, find a "spare space", etc. So, I am sure that those who are reporting knee, hip, back injuries may be due to that as well as those who don't understand the need for proper dance/exercise footwear.
  • erinnmcpherson
    Options
    I just want to say- a lot of you people are a-holes. Stop complaining about the people who have two left feet, at least they are working out and having FUN!!! Why should they have to stay home or be stuck on the treadmill just because they weren't blessed with the gift of dance?

I go to Zumba and look ridiculous, but I feel awesome. Y'all just a bunch of haterz!

Agreed! The point of Zumba is to just keep moving and have fun. I have a blast and laugh the whole time. Most of the people I know LOVE the rap/hip hop songs and dislike the Latin. The beats in hip hop keep us motivated... and we like to use Zumba as "Me time" and a break from our kids/daily grind. We are just happy, silly, and really don't care what anyone else thinks bc at the end of the day we're burning calories and building muscle and having a blast doing it.

If you dont like Zumba or havent tried, I encourage you to try again, somewhere knew, and keep an open mind. Go a few times til you learn some of the moves better. Take friends. When I dont have friends there, I'm not as motivated and don't have as much fun. Also, I've tried multiple classes/instructors and found one that I REALLY love. One of the other instructors was TOO "work-out/aerobics" and I didnt care for it. I want to dance and have fun... the other was just "eh.". The one I have now is very dancy but make no mistake it's definitely a work out!!!
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I found a great Zumba class where the instructor is AMAZING. Unfortunately I can't zumba any more per my doctor BUT a few things that annoyed me....

1) very overweight women, NOT trying and then complaining about not sweating or losing weight. I'm sorry but if I am half your weight and sweating my butt off you should be sweating too if you're trying as hard as me!

2) people talking through the whole thing

3) people who would bring their young daughters...like ages 6-12.
  • miss_vivicas
    miss_vivicas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started Zumba and the classes are always overcrowded. There is never enough room to move around and the body heat is horrible
  • miss_vivicas
    miss_vivicas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Aqua Zumba?
  • TennesseeSodaholic
    TennesseeSodaholic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    So glad to see the posts here about Zumba overcrowding. I have been to one zumba class (in 2010) and that was one too many. I got there early and already the room was overcrowded. I could not even get a sweat up because I had to take baby steps to keep from bumping into people. Just as I was beginning to get claustrophobic, some late people arrived and squeezed in between my row and the one in front of me. Just horrible. After fifteen minutes I went out for water and didn't go back.

And after reading all the posts of others experiencing the same distaste, you would think the instructors would adopt a few simple rules:
    1. Have a class size limit.
    2. Offer more classes.

Oh well, I do plenty of other activities. It's just too bad my first experience (along with SO many others) was a bad one.
  • girl1dr
    Options
    I love, love my zumba instructor. She is great about monitoring the skill level of the class and tailoring the cueing and teaching to accommodate the majority of the group. She is also great about showing modifications to either bump up the intensity or lower it if needed. Unfortunately, she's gone on maternity leave so I am making due with Zumba core for the kinnect. The thing that frustrates me most is that there isn't enough independent zumba classes at times where working people can attend. Frankly, I don't want to pay a gym membership when all I want to do is Zumba. Also, I do not get why most of the independant classes during the week in my community are at 10 am and 4:30...don't people have to work??
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I teach latin dance and the most annoying thing about zumba classes is that they make me look so damn unco-ordinated! Haha, the steps are fine, it's the damned arm movements - guess I'll just stick to dancing with a partner and faking it through shines :laugh:
  • anndelaney67
    anndelaney67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i have a great instructor, she has a fab new space with plenty of room.. great people that have a great time. my only complant is that my knees do not work and i get very frustrated with myself.. and the fact that i can't do everything. My instructor is always encouraging to those of us who have to modify. so basically .. i have no complaints.
    have to say im with you on this one i also have great instrutor space and people :)]
  • LadyCastonguay
    LadyCastonguay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just started Zumba this week. After three days and three instructors I realized I kinda hate how the instructors dont ask if there are newbies. They just start cha cha'ing and dropping it like we are in a club. How do you learn the moves if no one shows you? It's the beginning of the year, of course a butt load of new people are in there. Wouldn't it help to have a new member class?? 20 people and 16 of us were new! WTH!?!?
  • mdyorston
    mdyorston Posts: 158
    Options
    When the instructor keeps stopping to change the CD...smh
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with the crowding of people. I dont like bumping into people and getting bumped into. I love my Zumba workout on my Xbox though.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i just started zumba last week, and love it. i worked my *kitten* off in that hour, and moved every part of my body. the instructor was awesome and the music was great, but i did look like a total idiot trying to keep up and do all the moves. but who cares! my only issue was that before i could master the choreography, she was on to another move, so i really did look like a dumbass. everything was super fast.
  • gloriann1
    gloriann1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think the worst thing is the fashion. It's a cross between 80's colors and 90's baggy pants and crop tops. Even worse: suburban moms trying to look like urban break dancers. ::Face palm::
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I loved going to Zumba!! But I went to the Y and it was an open space in the basement. Guys would stare and make noises. Some women didn't buy their kids in the daycare and I almost kicked a kid in the head! I just joined a new gym and plan on doing it there. We will see!!!
  • dbh3425
    dbh3425 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba but never go anymore because my gym only offers it twice a week, during inconvenient times. I've taken classes elsewhere, too, and here are my sources of annoyance:
    - An instructor who has no rhythm and has to re-start music because she lost count.
    - Another instructor who made kissy-faces to herself in the mirror.
    - A group of regular attendees who obviously have routines memorized and go nuts showing off their moves.

I agree with other posters: the instructor makes the class.
  • aerobigirl
    Options
    One of the wonderful things about the fitness industry is that there is a format, a class, an instructor, for almost everyone. If you enjoy Zumba, great! If you don't, that's fine, too!

I was one of those people who was NEVER going to take a Zumba class. EVER. Now, I just passed my three year anniversary teaching the format (I've been in the fitness industry 23 years in group-ex and am also a personal trainer).

Like many others have said, the instructor makes the class. This isn't a pre-choreographed format where everyone teaches the same thing. Zumba gives instructors basic rules and you can use their music and choreography if you like, but we are also allowed variety in terms of intensity, amount of dance, amount of fitness, choreography, and music selection. No two classes will ever be alike, which is both a "pro" and a "con."

If you want a really dancy class and you can learn choreography quickly, there's probably an instructor for you. If you want a simple-to-follow class that is high intensity, there's probably an instructor for you. So, if you like the basic idea of Zumba, then it's worth it to shop around for an instructor you like. If you don't like the basic idea of Zumba, then don't bother. There are tons of fun and effective formats.

A lot of people on this thread have said that they don't get a good workout from Zumba. Most of the time, when I hear this comment in person, it's because a person has been to a class that hasn't been cued well and/or the choreography is too fancy. If a participant has to spend too much time trying to learn the choreography or has to read the mind of the instructor, they're not going to know what to do, so they can't work the moves in a range of motion that would get their heart rate up. 90% of the time, that's not the participant's fault, it's the instructor's fault - bad cueing, overly complex routine, or not giving intensity options. In my opinion, a routine should be simple enough to learn that the participant can be successful quickly. Once an attendee is moving properly, they can work as much or as little as they like, and the people who want to sweat, sweat.
  • endlesswonderr
    endlesswonderr Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Despite the crowded classes and sometimes bad teachers, I love zumba. Even if I can't get the moves down or they are too difficult, I still get to spend an entire hour jumping and dancing around as much as I please! It's fun once you stop taking it so seriously.