First Negative Comment

Options
So I have facebook linked to MFP, like most people would, I imagine. Everytime I log my exercises it shows up on facebook. So today, I logged my exercises and it posted to facebook, but I alos made a comment about a dislike towards Bear Crawls, and for the first time I actually had someone tell me to stop posting all the exercise posts and what not. Then another one said that all I talk about is working out, rewind back about 3 months and all you would read would be, "hangover, drunk, passed out, beer, drunk...."

They say they are joking, but as a person that jokes i know there is always a bit of truth to every joke. It's not demotivating, but interesting because I just started to think to myself that I have not had to deal with any negativity/hate towards my workouts. It's a first and I imagine I'll deal with more. I wonder if it's a shock for them to see me devoting more time to being healthy then the partying. I'm telling myself it's a little envy and sadness. They envy the all the effort I'm putting forth and they are sad that they don't have me around at parties as much and miss me :laugh: That's how I deal with this bit of negativity.

Replies

• jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My friends think I'm obsessed although they haven't said it in so many ways. Anyway, I love your positive attitude...of course they miss you!
  • shodaimetruth
    shodaimetruth Posts: 137
    Options
    my mom said something similar....she said all i ever seem to talk about is working out and dieting. I can't help it, i'm extremely involved in the aspect of fitness and health. Why would I not talk about something I'm so in to, right?
  • Nath07
    Nath07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Haters gunner hate mate!! I put it down to jealousy, they wish they had the drive and dedication to do what you're doing.
  • roningt
    roningt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Did you kindly explain to them how to unfriend them selves and the proper way to got #$%^ them selves? Being the gentleman that I am i know that would be my first response :)

All that aside. Dont let peoples negative action effect your success. I know for me telling people I am trying to lose weight and that i am succeeding helps me maintain going forward.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I don't post anything about fitness on Facebook or twitter. People outside MFP do not understand and it's ok
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I don't have my facebook linked to MFP. But if I do something I'm proud of (Like 70kg deadlifts! Whooot), I do post it, I think it makes it feel less like 'spam' on facebook.
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't post anything about fitness on Facebook or twitter. People outside MFP do not understand and it's ok

Ditto. The only thing I push to FB is my weekly check in. For the most part I don't think my FB friends would understand all the exercise stuff.
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    No I didn't get to that comment yet. i'll let the first one slide. the next will be responded that way :)

with regards to facebook/twitter, that's what those sites are for, updating people on your thoughts/actions and interests. right now, those are the things that i'm in to. They are going to learn to love these new things....or they are going to be force fed them like lab rats, in which I will then start running studies on them. force feed the updates and test their vitals and levels of hate.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My dad told me I was too skinny yesterday. (I’m a runner.) I told him that it really wasn’t a compliment & how would he like it if I said he was too chubby. If it wasn't my dad I would have said to pi$$ off! I eat supper healthy & don’t starve myself btw…
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    I agree....they don't understand. I think the people are just going to look at things to complain about. when you are negative, they will complain to others about your negativity. when you are in a positive place they will complain to you. when you are drunk they will try to join you :)
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I don't post my MFP stuff on Facebook.. I get a lot more support of here than I get/ would get from people that actually know me oddly enough.. Posted progress pics in here once... crazy amount of comments... posted them on FB... got 10 maybe.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options

I am rarely on FB or Twitter and I find both of these services to be crap. Many will not understand and are jealous
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't think that other people are actually very interested in my workouts or eating habits, so I don't tell them what I'm doing unless they ask. I think if you choose to share very detail of what you are doing, you have to be prepared to accept negative comments as well as positive (or nothing).
    It might come across as though you are bragging or showing them up (I'm not suggesting that you are, but it could easily be interpreted that way). Or maybe you make them feel guilty because they aren't working out - which I see as their problem not yours.

But then, I don't use Facebook, so I'm not used to sharing every minute detail of my life.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    When I was still of FB, I didn't post my MFP stuff to it. Two different worlds.

As a previous poster said: "People outside MFP do not understand and it's ok."
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    What the? My friends and I LOVE logging our exercise.

i love to YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY on their posts.

keep doing you......hit the delete button.

oh...i didnt get the facebook part...eff em anyway.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have a private group of friends on FB and we support each other's weight loss/exercise goals. We've been together on one message board of another for a decade now. I don't post MFP stuff to FB. I don't share as much there in public as I do in private. One of my dear friends had a similar comment made to her about her runs on FB and she got so upset. I love seeing her posts that she's going running because it motivates me to get off my *kitten* and get out there myself. Unfortunately, not everyone understands.
  • dlminnerjr
    dlminnerjr Posts: 9
    Options
    there are always negative people. Some people cant find anything good about them selves so they set out to tear others down to their level. what could be negative about your losing as much weight as you have so far all i can say is GREAT JOB keep it up
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Sorry your friends are acting that way about your fitness. Whatever you're into is gonna be on your mind the most and to you is fitness which isn't a bad thing. Nobody outside of MFP will understand what you are going through. I don't talk about my weightloss with anyone except my husband and my sister (she had the gastric bypass a few years ago) bu I don't feel she quite understands.
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    So I have facebook linked to MFP, like most people would, I imagine. Everytime I log my exercises it shows up on facebook. So today, I logged my exercises and it posted to facebook, but I alos made a comment about a dislike towards Bear Crawls, and for the first time I actually had someone tell me to stop posting all the exercise posts and what not.

lawls.
    **** 'em.
    oops. did i say that out loud :)
  • Klegl
    Klegl Posts: 48
    Options
    People I know said I was anorexic because I was eating healthy? I eventually ate unhealthy food around them so I didnt have to hear it. They are just jealous that you are going to have a rockin' bod :)