First Negative Comment

Options

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    AT first I had FB and MFP linked, but it started to annoy me so I de-linked it. FB and MFP are 2 different worlds.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom. I think Facebook friends would think workout statuses would be a step up from the on going poopy diaper tally and "guess the gross thing I found in my hair" game.
  • AngieELS
    AngieELS Posts: 18
    Options
    People get annoyed because they can't or WON'T do what you're doing!
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I do NOT have MFP linked to Facebook. I guard MFP jealously.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I deactivated my facebook account. Its great living without it! Besides most people on facebook only care about themselves.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    <entire comment deleted, don't feel like getting banned today>
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    People get annoyed because they can't or WON'T do what you're doing!
    ^^^^this!!!! Some people are jelious when anyone else makes a positive improvement in their life and they have not. Case and point, an old friend whom I was close with a few years back lashed out at me for literally no reason at all. I found I very strange....but after talking to other friends I learned that he was jelious that I have a good paying job now, and I quit drinking and am getting my life together like he is not. My other friend explained it to me like this "if he sees you are doing about the same or worse than him, he takes it as being content with the life he has chosen."
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise on here, but I don't crosspost. And, when my friends using other weight loss sites or exercise trackers crosspost to Facebook, it annoys me! I rarely talk about working out or weight loss on my Facebook because I feel like I'm bragging. Just my personal feelings.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I don't have MFP connected to Facebook or Twitter (the thing with Twitter is that i only feel comfortable using it for live updates from games, as that is my job as a sports correspondent for my local newspaper, and Facebook yeah, let's not go there). I'm sorry that your friends aren't into what you are, but that is ok, because you are happy :) Personally, my friends on Facebook don't understand my wanting to be fit and not negative and so i have been steering clear of the drama that is Facebook, and so I hardly post on there anymore except pictures so family can see our kid.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I have not and will not link my MFP to my Facebook. I also don't mention much about working out or anything like that on Facebook. Personally, what I want is when I see these people in real life, I want them to notice the differences I have made -- they can see for themselves what I have been doing. You are right... there are many out there that truly don't understand what getting healthy is all about - the restraint and perseverance is odd to them. They see it is extremism and over the top. These same people see any type of religious dedication similarly. If your lifestyle does not match theirs then either you are extremist... think you are better than they are ... obsessed ... or some similar unpleasantry. Interestingly enough, the same ones who find Restricting intake to under 2200 calories per day, lifting weights 3-4 times per week and exercising as extreme or even going to Church 2-3 times per week as extreme... think nothing of talking about downing a 5th of vodka or eating their weight at a crawfish boil all in the name of having fun... Some things are better left to be proven....
  • shodaimetruth
    shodaimetruth Posts: 137
    Options
    i've seen that mentality. if you're not with me then you are against me and weird. how could you not enjoy what i'm doing? what you are doing is not fun and deserves to be pointed at and a division must be implemented.

very intriguing. i must be mindful of my behavior and preventing myself from acting like that at all.
  • hehthurr
    hehthurr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    people who cheat always accuse people of cheating, people who are insecure pick on other people, etc. Don't let someone's insecurities about what's going on in their life stop you from succeeding in YOUR personal goals towards your health and happiness!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Throw this at them

408082_330224830348956_153592064678901_937955_1563836951_n1.jpg
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Throw this at them

408082_330224830348956_153592064678901_937955_1563836951_n1.jpg
    I f'n love this^^^^ awesome bro!
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I post my exercise and weight losses on FB (through MFP). I have friends on both sites that support me and I enjoy letting my real-life friends and family know how I'm progressing, since most of them are vividly aware that I'm overweight.

If your friends were worth worrying about, they would be supporting you. If if they aren't, then can hide the feed from MFP and live in an alcohol-induced bliss where they don't have to think about the fact that some of their friends have grown up and starting caring about themselves!

Good luck to you and keep on posting. Piss 'em off or motivate them... either is just fine :D
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I kept this whole process off Facebook for the first year or so. I still don't have MFP and FB linked, but I've been a lot more willing to discuss things on there since then. I think it was a fear of failure thing.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    my mom said something similar....she said all i ever seem to talk about is working out and dieting. I can't help it, i'm extremely involved in the aspect of fitness and health. Why would I not talk about something I'm so in to, right?

I am the same way now. I know my 'regular' friends get tired of it, but if they can't support me then its their loss. I try to get them to do this stuff "with" me. I quit posting mine to FB because I figured they were getting tired of it. I still post my C25K workouts though from my phone.
  • KiwiKim25
    KiwiKim25 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    From experience, I've found friends are happy/supportive of the weight loss progress (dieting/working out) for a initial period of time. Then they get tired of hearing about it. I'm sorry your friends are being rude about it now. It really sucks when that happens! Luckily there is a great community here to rely on for support, encouragement and commiseration.
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Haters gunner hate mate!! I put it down to jealousy, they wish they had the drive and dedication to do what you're doing.

^^^This...Keep up the dedication. Let hate...once they see what you have accomplished, they will ask you to help them reach your success!!
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    So I have facebook linked to MFP, like most people would, I imagine. Everytime I log my exercises it shows up on facebook. So today, I logged my exercises and it posted to facebook, but I alos made a comment about a dislike towards Bear Crawls, and for the first time I actually had someone tell me to stop posting all the exercise posts and what not. Then another one said that all I talk about is working out, rewind back about 3 months and all you would read would be, "hangover, drunk, passed out, beer, drunk...."

They say they are joking, but as a person that jokes i know there is always a bit of truth to every joke. It's not demotivating, but interesting because I just started to think to myself that I have not had to deal with any negativity/hate towards my workouts. It's a first and I imagine I'll deal with more. I wonder if it's a shock for them to see me devoting more time to being healthy then the partying. I'm telling myself it's a little envy and sadness. They envy the all the effort I'm putting forth and they are sad that they don't have me around at parties as much and miss me :laugh: That's how I deal with this bit of negativity.

I have been there! I had someone (a family member) tell me once that all I talked about was running. She said she was kidding but I knew she was saying it because she believed it. What I also realized was just how jealous she was that I'm now an athlete who can run marathons and takes my health very seriously! It's envy pure and simple! They are so jealous that you are doing something they wish they were doing but either can't or won't make those changes in their own life. In my experience as I lost weight people felt they needed to justify their own unhealthy lifestyle to me. They didn't need to do that but the changes I was making in my life put them on the defensive. The way I figure it is this person who said that to me talks about her kids ALL the time so how is that any different than when I talk about running? It isn't but people who are jealous can't see anything past their own insecurities. You KEEP posting and don't let the haters get to you because that is all they are, jealous, insecure little (or maybe big) haters :smile: