First Negative Comment

Options

Replies

• thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't share my MFP with Facebook and honestly I don't really share my weight loss with most people including my friends. I have TONS of support here and have gotten ridiculed at work for not participating in treats that have been brought in (mostly due to jealousy, I think). This whole process is important to me and those people in my life who are interested have asked. The rest I don't bother with.

I know you are working hard. Keep it up and be proud of what you are doing. I know I'll keep supporting your posts here.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I am not linked to facebook either and have not told many people that I am attempting to lose weight this way. My close family and a couple of friends that I know are also interested in losing weight and/or are always supportive anyway. Mainly coz I am a little ashamed that I let my body get out of hand and also because ultinately I am doing this for me and no one else, not for a holiday, special event etc.. If they notice at some point or if they too are wanting a way to help them lose weight then I will tell them about here, otherwise I prefer not to get them involved in reviewing my journey.
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This is the exact reason I have nothing linked with facebook, if I want to share my weight loss I will but I would never do that on facebook!
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I don't have facebook, facebook is evil. If I did I wouldn't link the two. I don't talk about working out to anyone, nor about nutrition, I go about my daily life like it isn't part of it, even though it's a HUGE part of it. Why? Because I know how controversial the subject can be to people who aren't willing to change their lifestyles, I also know how annoying it is to be one of those people and have someone CONSTANTLY talk about bench pressing etc. OP, I am not saying you are doing this, what I am saying is that people who make comments or get annoyed are the ones that feel so insecure about themselves they become judgemental of how you are doing it.

Either ignore it (which I'm sure you will) or dissasociate MFP from facebook.
  • lbergdvm
    lbergdvm Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you are right - your friends miss you and are jealous of the time you spend with your new hobby - hard to imagine that anyone would consider exercise to be a negative attribute. Maybe you need to motivate your friends to share some of your fun workouts with you - you may get some converts!
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    my mom said something similar....she said all i ever seem to talk about is working out and dieting. I can't help it, i'm extremely involved in the aspect of fitness and health. Why would I not talk about something I'm so in to, right?

Just tell her (or anyone who questions one's obsession with fitness/health) "Beats drinking and gambling, doesn't it?"
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, most people who are not on MFP don't understand and think it's obsessive. But at least it's obsessive about being healthy which is great! Don't listen to anyone trying to put you down. Most likely they are just jealous or resentful because you're trying to better yourself and they don't have the drive to. Just keep at your goals and they will see how your dedication has paid off. Who knows? You may even inspire some of them to do the same as you and if not, then :tongue: to them!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    my mom said something similar....she said all i ever seem to talk about is working out and dieting. I can't help it, i'm extremely involved in the aspect of fitness and health. Why would I not talk about something I'm so in to, right?

I would ask her would she wants me healthy and living a long productive life or be wasted all the time......Food for thought I know I would want my sons leading the type of life my husband and I do (we dont smoke or drink)
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think it makes them feel guilty but don't stop because you are also motivating others. I became vegetarian almost a year ago when I found out my cholesterol was high. I was posting about it because I was learning how to eat differently. I got a lot of negative responses but I also inspired some friends to eat better and many have told me that their health has improved so it's worth it. Same goes with exercise. Also one of the people that is now healthier started off teasing me and constantly trying to tempt me with bacon. She was secretly paying attention to what I was doing then started herself.

I will say though that I have one friend who I wouldn't mind seeing a little less posting about exercise. The thing is that she now posts several times a day about these very long exercises throughout the day. Like 4 hours a day! Her posts went from being family oriented with some exercise to being about throwing the kids in daycare or leaving them home sick so she could work out. That just makes me sad. There definitely should be a balance.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't have my MFP linked to my Facebook, but I do link my Map My Run workouts. These people sound a little jealous and honestly if you are trying to better yourself you do not need negativity surrounding you. They do not seem very supportive at all.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I get the same from my fiance. He tells me to turn it down a couple of notches lol This is why I keep facebook out of this and that's why this website is so great! You get support from people who have the same concerns like you!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    So I have facebook linked to MFP, like most people would, I imagine.

I can't think of a single reason I would want to link MFP and Facebook...
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    So I have facebook linked to MFP, like most people would, I imagine. Everytime I log my exercises it shows up on facebook. So today, I logged my exercises and it posted to facebook, but I alos made a comment about a dislike towards Bear Crawls, and for the first time I actually had someone tell me to stop posting all the exercise posts and what not. Then another one said that all I talk about is working out, rewind back about 3 months and all you would read would be, "hangover, drunk, passed out, beer, drunk...."

They say they are joking, but as a person that jokes i know there is always a bit of truth to every joke. It's not demotivating, but interesting because I just started to think to myself that I have not had to deal with any negativity/hate towards my workouts. It's a first and I imagine I'll deal with more. I wonder if it's a shock for them to see me devoting more time to being healthy then the partying. I'm telling myself it's a little envy and sadness. They envy the all the effort I'm putting forth and they are sad that they don't have me around at parties as much and miss me :laugh: That's how I deal with this bit of negativity.

I have been there! I had someone (a family member) tell me once that all I talked about was running. She said she was kidding but I knew she was saying it because she believed it. What I also realized was just how jealous she was that I'm now an athlete who can run marathons and takes my health very seriously! It's envy pure and simple! They are so jealous that you are doing something they wish they were doing but either can't or won't make those changes in their own life. In my experience as I lost weight people felt they needed to justify their own unhealthy lifestyle to me. They didn't need to do that but the changes I was making in my life put them on the defensive. The way I figure it is this person who said that to me talks about her kids ALL the time so how is that any different than when I talk about running? It isn't but people who are jealous can't see anything past their own insecurities. You KEEP posting and don't let the haters get to you because that is all they are, jealous, insecure little (or maybe big) haters :smile:

Just send them instructions to "how to hide soemone's stream", or if you really want to make a point "how to unfriend someone". Frankly, anyone who takes the effort to hinder me (ie. take the effort to tell me "all I talk about is health") is not my friend. Quote that whiny sounding lady on TV: "You ARE the weakest link. Goodbye".

I don't link FB to this. I don't post my weight/health stuff anywhere but here. Maybe when I hit a major goal i'll do something cryptic like "50 down." and see who cares enough to ask about it. Dunno, haven't found anything major enough yet to do this on, but 50 down for me would be the same as "below 200", so that double whammy might be worth it.

Also, don't ever link your real name with your health information posted publicly on the intarwebs. Sooner or later someone you DON'T want to will come across it.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    I don´t link anything to fb.
    1. People don´t understand what I am doing here and think I am obsessed or weird (well, they think that anyway:laugh: ).
    2. It is none of their business. Not everyone has to know everything about me.
  • packergirl2007
    Options
    I totally feel you!!! I've lost SOOO MANY friends from losing weight (FROM 233(full disclosure I was preggos at the time) down to 155.)

So many girls won't talk to me or send me hateful glances or looks and it SUCKS *kitten*. People constantly tell me I'm obessed that I think about calories and food way to often.

I'm sorry though, it's a huge part of my life right now. I'm focused and dedicated so of course I think about it constantly. ESPECIALLY, since when i didn't think about it I GOT HUGE.

The worse is when they just stop talking to me. and i haven't done anything differently except lose weight. :(
  • packergirl2007
    Options
    POSTING THIS TODAY!!! LOVE IT!
    Throw this at them

408082_330224830348956_153592064678901_937955_1563836951_n1.jpg
  • kristynkayte
    kristynkayte Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't have my fb linked to this site either...but when I work out hard or lose weight/inches you bet I put it on my fb. Keeps me accountable. Every one of my friends knows i'm doing this...but i don't need them to see every time i complete my food journal or enter an exercise. I know how i feel about getting all their stupid farm & ville invitations and seeing all their awards with that (annoys the crap out of me)...so i imagine having my MFP linked to my fb would annoy them in the same way. Lol
  • ChiefsChick4Life
    Options
    with regards to facebook/twitter, that's what those sites are for, updating people on your thoughts/actions and interests. right now, those are the things that i'm in to. They are going to learn to love these new things....or they are going to be force fed them like lab rats, in which I will then start running studies on them. force feed the updates and test their vitals and levels of hate.

Let me tell you, when I became a follower of Christ I posted it, and I told them if you don't want to hear about my love of the Lord and all the wonderful things he is doing in my life, delete me, I won't get offended". And Yes I did lose some friends, but I needed the ones in my life who would encourage not discourage!

Who really needs them negative people anyways right?

Good luck and great job! I'm struggling... And have only 84 days till my wedding.
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! Some of my friends think I am obsessed with working out and have said something like that to me.... sorry but I didn't know 5-6 times per week 30-60 mins each day was obsessed.... I thought that was maybe just over the recommended amount? I don't link MFP to Facebook for reasons such as that. I am doing this for me I don't need to announce it to the whole world - especially the very judgemental world in which we live. I gave up A LOT of partying when I decided to make the healthy lifestyle change - partying and weight loss just don't mix!!! It probably is a shock to your friends! I feel like it could be a shock for some of my friends too because they could not even imagine giving up partying for a weekend or two for health reasons. I think you have a really great attitude and outlook though.... they probably are envious in some ways and missing you in others. I hope my friends miss me coming out with them as much too, but I also hope they understand why I don't and respect my decisions and my want to be thinner/healthy.

P.S. I'm not a fan of bear crawls either - or duck walk! ugh! haha!
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't link my MFP account to Facebook. What's interesting to people on here isn't necessarily interesting to the wider FB group. Too much of anything on FB is annoying, whether it be logging exercise, weight loss, what's shown up in someones kid's nappies (yeah, I've had people post that), what they're having for dinner, how long they've been stuck in traffic, what their cat did, yet another bottle of wine tonight etc. etc. .... the list goes on. Anyone posting about the same thing time after time on FB gets blocked! Harsh maybe, but I don't want to read the same thing over and over, if I did I'd join a specific group for that (like MFP).

I'd liken it to those annoying games people play on FB, unless I'm playing too (which I'm not), I really don't need constant updates on what you need for your farm, city, cafe etc. So kerrr-block!!!

I keep my fitness updates on MFP because it's a site specifically for that. I have a couple of real life friends on here who are interested in my updates and vice versa, but I wouldn't post everything on FB for fear of annoying the crap out of everyone. I posted when I hit my goal weight and that's it. No one wants to know every time I go to Zumba or go for a walk unless something interesting happened while I was there.