21yo in a rut. How do you lose weight??

Options

Replies

• Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options
    Great, name calling and white knighting. The two lowest forms of internet activities.
    you half-wit.

Oh, I suppose I did say that huh? I guess I was just so baffled by that person's limited knowledge that I let it slip.
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    ...but it is that easy. If you are a slave to a material object, you are a weak person.

I understand that you're young, and it seems you have lived a very sheltered life. You're in for a rude awakening. All the best!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    im not trying to fuel and fire here but for some people it is just NOT that simple. and most of the time those people are women. So please take your simple advice elsewhere. clearly this girl has tried and not had any luck. its different for everyone. some people will eat better and workout every day and still cannot lose weight. Some people lose weight if they skip a few meals. so no..its not that simple.

You've just proved my point. I'm not going to try to argue anymore. All of you have been a hoot.

Look up "insulin resistance", "PCOS" (aka "Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome"), "metabolic syndrome", "hypothyroidism", "effects of soy on metabolism", "weight effects of high androgen levels in women", then come back and tell us all how easy it is to lose weight simply by eating less and moving more.

It may be a simple rule of thumb (and it does typically work for the general US population), but for some people, there really is a legitimate reason why we cannot lose weight.

Unless...you know...2300 calories a day is too much for someone who powerlifts an hour a day three days a week and practices martial arts two hours a day, two days a week (and sometimes an hour a day a third day in the week).
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Hey why did i just receive a PM from the troll calling me TRASH????? sounds like someone just doesn't get it. Your 21 years old you have a lot to learn little boy. Just grow up because someday you will say the wrong comment to the wrong person.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Log everything, keep your diary public. For three months I lived on 1200 cals plus exercise cals. Then I started upping my calories and working out a little less obsessively and you know what? I kept losing at the same (maybe even better) rate and I was a much happier person. Still inching my cals up to find my maintenance spot. Oh yes, just plan on going slowly...trying to lose too much weight in too little time was always my downfall.
  • jones0774
    jones0774 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try this site, it's a great meter stick for how many calories you need and how many To cut in order to lose weight. It's based on your current weight, height and age, so it's not the same formula for everyone. It also tells you how much you can expect to gain if you go over your calories. I found the calories I needed to eat then plugged it into MFP.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/bl_nutrition_guide.htm
    Or
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

After I had my two kids I also started to run like I did when I was in college. That and swimming are great calorie burners. Also eat lots of fiber and drink a ton of water. Good luck!!

I've lost 20 lbs and have 10 to go, so it's working :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OP asks for advice on weight loss, receives fat troll exemplifying the twinkie diet and laughing at spelling mistakes

And this surprises you?

You must be new to the MFP forums...
  • YepLilly
    Options
    "Eat less, move more. Not hard": brought to you by the same person who said hypothyroidism is an "excuse people make".

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/609617-hypothyroid
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    "Eat less, move more. Not hard": brought to you by the same person who said hypothyroidism is an "excuse people make".

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/609617-hypothyroid
    hahahahaha
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    he keeps sending me PM's about how im trash... hillarious... and i have bad grammar that i should not be posting on the internet.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    And this surprises you?

Not sure where I said I was surprised by it.
  • jones0774
    jones0774 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dagoth, I believe you are getting so many negative responses to your comment because it was simply unproductive. There was no point to posting it besides belittling someone who was asking for help. Maybe we can put this to rest and trust you'll think about how your comments may be recieved before you post them. :) best wishes.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    And this surprises you?

Not sure where I said I was surprised by it.

Good point.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Strictly speaking, weight loss is 'simple'. There is no getting around the fundamental idea that you need to burn more calories than you consume so that your body eats into stored energy (fat and muscle) to sustain itself.

Maximizing fat loss and muscle retention while losing weight complicates matters somewhat but is an important component to consider when trying to lose weight in a healthy fashion. Consume adequate protein and fat in your diet and eat at a caloric deficit appropriate for your current body composition/future body composition goals (very overweight people can safely maintain higher deficits more easily). A smart resistance training regime also helps with retaining muscle, but isn't as important as your diet. A smart cardio training regime helps with cv health and all sorts of other good body health things, but again isn't as important as your diet.

A healthy (read: not too big) deficit with a good macro spread coupled with a good exercise program will go a long way towards improving your health and body composition.

At the end of the day, it really is as simple as eat less, move more. The specific implementation of that may need to be tailored to accomodate your own personal situation/condition, and it definitely isn't easy...but it is simple.
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more. Not hard.

ECHO above.. start somewhere and build yourself up - you can do it
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Dagoth, I believe you are getting so many negative responses to your comment because it was simply unproductive. There was no point to posting it besides belittling someone who was asking for help. Maybe we can put this to rest and trust you'll think about how your comments may be recieved before you post them. :) best wishes.

Not that I'm defending him...(like I'm going to step in front of those arrows)...but his advice wasn't entirely bad, at least as a CW starting point or a general guideline. I think his biggest mistake was in his completely-oblivious-to-others delivery. Well, that and his follow-up messages where he continued to dig.

Eh, forget what I just said up there.

Everyone grab your torches and pitchforks!!!
  • YepLilly
    Options
    Are you an alcoholic? Stop drinking! Not hard.

Your dog is lost? Go find it! Not hard.

You have 5 finals on the same day? Study! Not hard.

A close friend died? There's nothing you can do, move on! Not hard.

Were you laid off? Look for a job! Not hard.

Are you in debt? Pay it off! Not hard.

The advice is spot on. It's also trivial, condescending, and useless.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Are you an alcoholic? Stop drinking! Not hard.

Your dog is lost? Go find it! Not hard.

You have 5 finals on the same day? Study! Not hard.

A close friend died? There's nothing you can do, move on! Not hard.

Were you laid off? Look for a job! Not hard.

Are you in debt? Pay it off! Not hard.

The advice is spot on. It's also trivial, condescending, and useless.

Indeed, ^this.

I have reconsidered my position on this, take back anything I said in his defense, and now cast my vote for YepLilly.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Okay! Now for something a little more constructive now that I've fed the troll.

OP - you appear to not need to lose much weight, which means it's going to be difficult for you. What you might want to consider is body composition - that is, body fat percentage. Start lifting (and don't be afraid to lift heavy), and find your maintenance calorie needs and start eating at about it or maybe slightly below. You may or may not lose weight (in fact, you might actually gain some), but your body fat percentage will go down, and very likely, so will your measurements.

Aside from that, really focus on your diet and make sure you're eating clean. Cut down or out the fast food, junk food, processed carbs, etc.
  • stacie48
    stacie48 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Has he been banned yet? I hope the young lady that started this was able to weed through the non-sence and find some advise that will work for her. Everybody looses, gains and builds a different way. Try several and see what the results are. I know I am always changing up the game......Otherwise we would all be masters at it. :ohwell: