Do you peek at grocery carts to see what other people buy?

Options
I try not to be obvious, but I am always curious what other people buy at the grocery store.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I do - it's an entertaining game when I waiting in a queue. I try to guess if they are buying for a family or if they are a single person or a gourmet eater or a convenience food junkie.... and then I look in mine to see what people might be thinking about me too!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am completely a "cart-peeker". Sometimes it reminds me I need something or gives me ideas for new foods to buy! Other times, I must admit, I think, "ewww--do they really understand what they are putting in their bodies with that?" Usually on the tail of that thought, I happen to see the package of Oreos or some other junk resting on top of my cabbage and broccoli...LOL.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Yes I must admit I am guilty of this- especially in the check-out line
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Omg, I do this all the time. I must say that all the junk people buy makes me feel diciplined. :)
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    absolutely.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS! Especially when I see a VERY overweight person, walking around with a cart full of junk. I love knowing thats not me anymore! I also love walking around seeing a fit person with nothing but produce in their cart. :)
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    In my redneck town it is mostly Slim Jims & beer!
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do it all the time. Especially at Whole Foods, where people buy all kinds of healthy and not-so-healthy things.
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yep. Every time.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    always.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I love peeking to get ideas about what I should get and make. :D
  • nomayo
    nomayo Posts: 228
    Options
    I do - it's an entertaining game when I waiting in a queue. I try to guess if they are buying for a family or if they are a single person or a gourmet eater or a convenience food junkie.... and then I look in mine to see what people might be thinking about me too!

Me too! I like to see what kind of food they're buying, magazines, even make up! I just hope I'm not being too obvious...
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I peek into people's carts all the time. There're so many things I see on Walmart shelves I don't know how and where to use and foods that I always wonder if anybody ever buys. I like to play a silly sort of guessing game about people according to what I see in their carts.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    this thread reminds me....the last few times I have been to the store and have been checking out the cashiers have made comments about my cart contents. "hmmm, lots of produce..." or "wow, there's a ton of fruit and veggies in here..." or something of that sort. I find that to be very telling that most people don't buy lots of fresh foods.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yes. Especially parents with overweight children. I'm not usually judgemental, but sometimes I just want to pull the the frozen pizzas, pop, chips and Little Debbies out of their cart and drag them over to the fresh produce aisle....while asking them if they know what they're doing to their children.
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. I shop at Whole Foods mostly and what really surprises me is that I STILL see people running around with all kinds of crap in their carts. I started shopping at Whole Foods because it inspires me to shop healthier!

I have to admit though, seeing what other people are buying usually makes me feel pretty good about what's in my cart. Even if other people have fairly healthy stuff, mine is usually one of my most produce-laden, least convenience food carts that I see. As a single woman, I feel it's important to feed myself something real instead of something out of a box. Makes me feel better about what I eat... and less divorced. =P
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Nope. I never knew other people did it, either.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist from my gym shops at the same supermarket I use ...... we've bumped into each other ...... I look into her cart, it's filled with salmon & veggies ...... she looks into my cart ...... it's loaded with soda & icecream ..... for my husband, of course .......

Might have to change stores ROFL
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes and I always see chips and cans or 2L bottles of soda.

I wonder about the people who buy 6 big bags of chips at a time...

srsteier - they're probably commenting because they have to weigh and look up most of that stuff... :P
This discussion has been closed.