Do you peek at grocery carts to see what other people buy?

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
  • Girlwithnoname77
    Girlwithnoname77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think it is sad that you all have the time to judge people. If you were looking for ideas, or to see you forgot items I can understand as sometimes when things are on the belt it will remind me I too need something. But to think that people actually JUDGE people ... based too on that persons dimensions ... sad. Very sad!

My family eats really well, but I am large. So when I have a party or something, and I go the shops to get chips and soft drink and what not for my guests, are you saying that because you see that stuff in my cart you assume I am a bad mum (if I am with my kids, or am this size because I eat like that)? COME ON. This is rubbish.

Seriously guys, if you took the same amount of time to try and know or love someone as you spend judging them the world will be a much better place ..........
  • Minifeet
    Minifeet Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do, but more out of curiosity than to judge.

After all, if you looked in my trolley (British for cart!) you would see no produce or healthy stuff, mainly cat food, magazines, snack a jacks, diet coke for hubby.

I eat tonnes of veggies and fruit, I just don't buy it at the supermarket.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Seriously guys, if you took the same amount of time to try and know or love someone as you spend judging them the world will be a much better place ..........

I can't judge any of you. I have no malice against you and no ribbons for you. But I think that it is high time that you all start looking at yourselves, and judging the lie that you live in.
    Charles Manson
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    I'm a cashier in a small town so you could say I know just about everyone's eating habits here. Sometimes I do take note when it's 300 dollars worth of debbie cakes, pop, and chips. It's hard not to, but I know it's really none of my business. Those same people are sometimes the friendliest people that make me smile every time they come through my line.
  • RmYWarrioR
    RmYWarrioR Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Why funny you should ask ....................... my wife and I both do. Being military we shop at the Commissary, the equivalent of a grocery store. To see what other people have in their carts is not for dinner ideas but, to see why we make and eat from a healthy menu and plan our grocery shopping. It seems that processed foods are a staple for a large percentage of Military families. My wife uses many fresh ingredients such as vegetables and fruits in her dishes. There are many overweight spouses and children amongst Military families .................... maybe more of the spouses should check this site out.
  • Girlwithnoname77
    Girlwithnoname77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

I can't judge any of you. I have no malice against you and no ribbons for you. But I think that it is high time that you all start looking at yourselves, and judging the lie that you live in.
    Charles Manson

I suppose you are right. I am naive on many things. Just makes me sad (not angry, just sad). Sorry this was a bad day to be posting as my son is being "judged" at school by his peers because he is "different" and I am just sick of it all. It really is very very sad ...
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm a strictly "get in, get what I need, get out" kind of shopper.
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I don't look, I couldn't be bothered. But people are free to look in mine - it's pretty boring in there. Bread, milk, cat food, sometimes soap, basic cuts of meat (one tray only) and 2 apples, bunch of bananas. YAWN.

But one time I saw a heavily overweight child shopping with his mother and she was encouraging him to get anything he wanted.

YES I admit to judging - I was disgusted.
  • jess393
    jess393 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I also work in a grocery store, so I see a lot of carts in a day! I don't judge based on what people buy, because I've had healthy, unhealthy, and a big old mix of it! But it is sad when I ring up giant orders that consist of JUST junk food. And even then, it only makes me sad because I think of how miserable I made myself buying it, and the fact that a lot of kids are potentially gonna end up like me is an aweful thought.
  • DeadEyedSuburbanite
    DeadEyedSuburbanite Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I used to be paranoid that people were checking out my shopping basket but then I convinced myself that nobody in the world gives a damn.

Guess I'm back to hiding my protein bars under a magazine again. :ohwell:
  • kimgravel
    kimgravel Posts: 32
    Options

Charles Manson

I don't judge, but I do look. I make a game of it and try to guess what they're making. It also give me good ideas when I see something that I haven't purchased in a while.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Yep. I know I am wrong but I even find myself judging.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    No, but maybe I should start..lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I usually don't pay attention, but I will admit that sometimes when I see a buggy packed full of boxed and frozen dinners, everything processed and no fresh foods, it usually draws my attention. Especially if it's someone with overweight children in tow. :frown:
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Don't hate me for this, but when I see a larger person/family I try to peek in their cart to see what's going on. Its always full of fatting processed foods, cookies, chips, sodas, boxed meals & such.

What is more interesting to me is that people always comment about what is in my cart, like “Wow, that’s a lot of green stuff” or “My kids would never eat that kind of stuff”

That’s because you feed them processed crap all the time, of course they would hate you if you tried to feed them otherwise.
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I totally look, but not to judge. Most of the time I see something and go oh! I forgot that, or hmm wonder if that's on sale. I'm a people watcher too at the airport.
  • lilcupcake213
    lilcupcake213 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Nope. I never knew other people did it, either.

me neither !I never thought of that, but actually I'm totally going to do that now ! Oh God, I wonder how many people have looked into my cart when I used to buy a bunch of crap. That's embarassing !
  • CourtLiv
    CourtLiv Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I used to a lot more when I shopped at standard grocery stores. But I recently moved to an area where there are more organic and healthier option stores, I don't notice myself doing it when I'm there.

Obviously there is a judging correlation there :ohwell:
  • librarygoddess2
    librarygoddess2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    All the time now! It doesn't make me judge them though... it simply makes me proud of the healthy choices I have made!
This discussion has been closed.