Do you peek at grocery carts to see what other people buy?

Options

Replies

• jessgrey2
    jessgrey2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Guilty!

And I try not to judge, because, sadly, healthy food is expensive and I think people are creatures of habit for the most part, in otherwords are comfortable buying the same things, making the same 8 recipes in rotation.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is when families with kids are buying tons of sugar and junk, but, again, who am I to judge.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Guilty!

And I try not to judge, because, sadly, healthy food is expensive and I think people are creatures of habit for the most part, in otherwords are comfortable buying the same things, making the same 8 recipes in rotation.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is when families with kids are buying tons of sugar and junk, but, again, who am I to judge.

I don't get the "healthy food is expensive" argument. A bag of chips is THREE DOLLARS! I could buy a bag of apples with that and the fruit would last longer than the bag. Soda is like $5 a pack, cookies are $3-5, even the snack cakes are creeping up to the $2-3 range. Now if I see a cart full of hotdogs and ramen, I will think they are too poor to buy good food, but there is no excuse with a cart full of expensive JUNK. I grew up poor and we didn't intentionally eat healthy, it's just we never had the money to keep cans of soda or bags of chips/cookies in the house.

Edit: I totally look in peoples' carts. And I try to guess what they're doing.
  • Mctree20
    Mctree20 Posts: 137
    Options
    Yes lol. I look at the person, then the cart, then back to the person.
  • Kailee360
    Kailee360 Posts: 46
    Options
    Welcome to my world ... I have stacked shelves in the Local Supermarket for 10years ..... Makes a dull job more interesting .

Single people come in late at night and buy 50 single serve tins of Tuna ... These people are always in Gym Gear .

The opposite to those are people that come in in their PJ's and Slippers and buy Chips , Chocolate , Lollies ans Soft Drink and a few DVD's .
  • patranus
    patranus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am going to get in trouble if I honesty reply to this thread so I am just going to bit my tongue.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    No. Creep.
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    all the time.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I always do and admit I often judge them because of it, which is my own problem. But I think there is something seriously wrong in this country and something else is going on that so many people have misconceptions about what food is and how to properly fuel their bodies!! The people need to take responsibility and educate themselves (like all of us are doing on this site), but then I think about all the parents setting bad examples for their kids it makes me sad :(
  • AnyaK91
    AnyaK91 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes!!
    And then I compare how their shopping compares with how they look health-wise - overweight/healthy/athletic
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I dont do it, it reminds me doing my thing at the urinal and the guy next to me checking out my junk.
  • TiffanyDeanee
    Options
    NO! It annoys me to no end when I find ppl checking out my cart. I mean dang I know we look good but go and get your own.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    quite frankly, I could care less what others buy... I have more important things to be concerned with. But to each his own... If you would like, I'll give you a list of what I buy and save you the time and effort (not really but... LOL>)
  • Mrrwmoo
    Mrrwmoo Posts: 44
    Options
    I usually don't, but sometimes some things you can't ignore. I passed by a morbidly obese mother who had her four children with her running around (all seem to have been probably a year or two a part from one another,) and her cart was chock full of cookies, ice cream, chips, and a load of other junk food. Her children weren't showing signs of being overweight yet, but maybe she should think of her children more . . .
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Never thought to even care on any level other than to check how much stuff is in their basket or cart to let them ahead of me if I have full shopping cart.

Funny thing is I have done that on countless times, I have yet to have someone offer to let me go ahead when I have one or two things.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I do, and sometimes I judge, but I try not to.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I try not to be obvious, but I am always curious what other people buy at the grocery store.

Peek? No....I stare! I'll be obvious. My cart isn't always the healthiest, partly because I get almost all my fruit and veg from a local farm, but I can't help but stare when I see someone pushing a cart full of nothing but frozen dinners and pizza and chips.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I do, and sometimes I judge, but I try not to.

I am guilty of this at restaurants and convenience stores, never cared at a grocery store. I think I know so many people that shop for other people in their families or other people in general and I don't want to judge in the event that it is not for them.

Chowing down on a double XL burger with fries and that x large diet coke is when I judge.
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    When I was a check-out chick at a supermarket I'd always notice what people were buying - it's a boring job and it made it more entertaining!

The most confusing combination was a tin of catfood, a packet of drinking straws and a box of condoms.
  • Geyser_Mountain_Dreamer
    Options
    The reason I do is because I often graciously get called out for buying healthy food. People remember a stranger who made them laugh, so I always make a joke out of it by saying, "I'm just try'n to melt me some lard'. Sometimes that below average attempt at comic relief sparks some good conversation. So, since I know people are paying attention to what I'm getting, I take sneak peaks too. I especially do it in liquor stores to see what kind of what people are drinking.
  • losingthehealthyway
    Options
    Sometimes, especially if I'm in line after them at the checkout. Sometimes I think, "Somebody's either throwing a party, or having a really bad week." :laugh: People probably think I'm strange, since I always seem to have equal parts health food and convenience food.
This discussion has been closed.