bump
  • xLissyx
    xLissyx Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if I must've usually been in 'starvation mode' because recently I've been trying really hard to actually eat all of my calories (hardly ever was before) and I've gained weight. It's not that I necessarily feel bigger but it's certainly showing on the scales. My instinctive reaction is to restrict majorly but clearly that doesn't work. So are you saying this gain is probably temporary as my body settles into what it should be operating in? It's just also that I run (starting to train for a marathon) and I do other cross-training too and sometimes I don't seem to be able to eat all my calories. True I'm definitely hungry but I feel like I'm eating heaps, especially compared to the people around me. I don't want people thinking I eat huge amounts. But like today, I burnt 846 calories running before breakfast, and I can't seem to make them up! I honestly have such a fear of eating all my calories because I am so afraid to trust that this weight gain is temporary.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if I must've usually been in 'starvation mode' because recently I've been trying really hard to actually eat all of my calories (hardly ever was before) and I've gained weight. It's not that I necessarily feel bigger but it's certainly showing on the scales. My instinctive reaction is to restrict majorly but clearly that doesn't work. So are you saying this gain is probably temporary as my body settles into what it should be operating in? It's just also that I run (starting to train for a marathon) and I do other cross-training too and sometimes I don't seem to be able to eat all my calories. True I'm definitely hungry but I feel like I'm eating heaps, especially compared to the people around me. I don't want people thinking I eat huge amounts. But like today, I burnt 846 calories running before breakfast, and I can't seem to make them up! I honestly have such a fear of eating all my calories because I am so afraid to trust that this weight gain is temporary.

I'll let Banks address the weight gain. But I wanted to comment on the food aspect. Remember that you don't necessarily have to eat a lot more volume to increase cals. You obviously don't want to just be shoving in 800 cals worth of cupcakes, but you can increase cals with small changes.

Things like adding just 25-50 cals per meal/snack add up. And using natural oils (olive, canola) for good fats. Eat whole eggs instead of egg whites. Nuts are great way to get some good cals in a small amount of food. A good protein shake/bar can add a quick boost. You just need to look for healthy fats and good protein to get the cals higher. Good luck to you!
  • wellyourenotSKINNY
    Options
    bump
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Bump:flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Well, I won't really comment on whether you were in starvation mode or not as I have no idea about your stats. But I will say that it takes time for the body to recover from a fasting state, when in that state the body puts an emphasis on fat storage, and remember, when you are in a fasting state, the amount of calories your body needs to stay where it is (homeostasis) has been reduced because it perceived the true (meaning a deficit that it can't make up via fat conversion and protein conversion along with ingested calories) energy intake (food you eat) at being to low. Therefore, in order to "reset" your maintenance calories back to where they should be, you need to consistently eat enough for a few weeks at least. While you are resetting your body, there is a chance that you will gain a few lbs. It depends on your individual body whether this happens and to what extent, and it also depends on how quickly and how much you raise your calories. The slower you do it, the less likely it is you will gain weight doing it. Once your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is back up to where it needs to be, you'll stop gaining, and you'll probably also notice increased energy levels, increased abilities with regards to exercise, and overall more alertness and better outward appearance (skin, hair, nails, coordination, and also a better immune system which means less colds and minor infections).

I will caution everyone that each of us is in a unique situation, and our bodies all react differently within certain guidelines. So what may take 1 person two weeks, may take another 6 days. While 1 person may gain 4 or 5 lbs, another may lose weight. It's all a complex calculation involving chemical output, hormones, genetics, age, sex, weight, height, body fat levels, and physical attributes. So just because I give a timeline, doesn't mean you'll conform to it exactly, I generally talk in averages simply because I can't speak to each person individually.
  • annpat28
    annpat28 Posts: 42
    Options
    bump
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options

So now we can figure out where your goal should be.
    Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

So with my BMI being 27.2, it says I should only be shooting to lose 1/2 lb a week. Gosh that seems like such a small amount. You are saying if I bump up my weekly weightloss goal and my calorie intake goes down, I won't lose?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

So with my BMI being 27.2, it says I should only be shooting to lose 1/2 lb a week. Gosh that seems like such a small amount. You are saying if I bump up my weekly weightloss goal and my calorie intake goes down, I won't lose?

not necessarily, remember, this is very generic. A lot of it has to do with your personal stats, one of the largest variables is your age and how much body fat you have, the higher that number, the more likely you are to lose weight faster.

Here's the thing though, having a BMI of 27 means you probably don't have a ton of weight to lose (without looking I'd guess your goal is probably somewhere near 20 to 30 lbs or so? Depending on your height.). I'm not saying you won't lose with a larger deficit, I'm saying that it's probable that you're going to be very difficult to lose at a much faster rate than that, even if you raise your deficit, and in all likelihood, you'll lose at least some of that weight as lean body mass (muscle and lean tissue) which is bad, we don't want to lose muscle.
    My whole goal is to try to give people information so they lose weight in a healthy manner, that they can use for long term success. You COULD lose weight faster than this, but the question isn't whether you can or not, it's whether that's healthy for someone in your situation.

Remember the other given. People that do unreasonable diets usually end up failing long term. Taking it slower, and giving your body time to adapt means there's less shock to the body, and that means it's easier in the long run. Plus, when you do switch from weight loss to maintenance, it's less dramatic, which avoids the other shock to the body, the dreaded switch from loss to maintenance, which many people have difficulty with (usually because they went screaming down the weight loss ladder and couldn't slow themselves.) Think of it like driving a car with bad breaks, you don't want to come up to that stop sign going 40 miles an hour then slam on the breaks, you want to ease off the gas 40 or 50 yards away and coast to a stop applying light pressure.
  • damcool
    damcool Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump. thanks!
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options

having a BMI of 27 means you probably don't have a ton of weight to lose (without looking I'd guess your goal is probably somewhere near 20 to 30 lbs or so? Depending on your height.). I'm not saying you won't lose with a larger deficit, I'm saying that it's probable that you're going to be very difficult to lose at a much faster rate than that, even if you raise your deficit, and in all likelihood, you'll lose at least some of that weight as lean body mass (muscle and lean tissue) which is bad, we don't want to lose muscle.

Correct. And I think after reading your post I just need to practice a little patience. :) Thank you for the info.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NitaCB
    Options

Well, I won't really comment on whether you were in starvation mode or not as I have no idea about your stats. But I will say that it takes time for the body to recover from a fasting state, when in that state the body puts an emphasis on fat storage, and remember, when you are in a fasting state, the amount of calories your body needs to stay where it is (homeostasis) has been reduced because it perceived the true (meaning a deficit that it can't make up via fat conversion and protein conversion along with ingested calories) energy intake (food you eat) at being to low. Therefore, in order to "reset" your maintenance calories back to where they should be, you need to consistently eat enough for a few weeks at least. While you are resetting your body, there is a chance that you will gain a few lbs. It depends on your individual body whether this happens and to what extent, and it also depends on how quickly and how much you raise your calories. The slower you do it, the less likely it is you will gain weight doing it. Once your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is back up to where it needs to be, you'll stop gaining, and you'll probably also notice increased energy levels, increased abilities with regards to exercise, and overall more alertness and better outward appearance (skin, hair, nails, coordination, and also a better immune system which means less colds and minor infections).

I will caution everyone that each of us is in a unique situation, and our bodies all react differently within certain guidelines. So what may take 1 person two weeks, may take another 6 days. While 1 person may gain 4 or 5 lbs, another may lose weight. It's all a complex calculation involving chemical output, hormones, genetics, age, sex, weight, height, body fat levels, and physical attributes. So just because I give a timeline, doesn't mean you'll conform to it exactly, I generally talk in averages simply because I can't speak to each person individually.
  • NitaCB
    Options
    Oops still getting the hang of how this works...
    So here are a few stats to give you a picture. I have a BMI of 22 I think and I'm about 22-23% body fat. I checked back over the last 5 or so weeks that I've been using the diary and on average I'm usually about 200-300 calories under what I should be at for the day, and usually more if I've done a really long run because it burnt off so much. I think I've been in 'diet mode' for so long that its become a habit. I don't have a problem eating all my calories when I don't do any exercise in the day, but that hardly ever happens, especially now I've ramped up my training. Do you think I've probably been in starvation mode? Because since starting on MFP I haven't seen any loss whatsoever, even though I log every day. Maybe my problem is that I'm always under.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I take a "fasting state" as being on zero calories for a period of over 24 hours. A severe calorie deficit is not a fasting state in my book. And so any theories of what the body does coming back from a fasting state and applying them on severe calorie deficits and starvation mode that are caused by that are incorrect.

I've done fasts of 4 days for religious/spiritual purposes so I'm more or less acquainted with what the body experiences coming back from a fasting state. Contrary to popular belief, binging isn't part of that. Weight gain is, and some of that is fat, as fat is also what you lose while fasting for an extended period: it's not just muscle loss. So your body responds appropriately when you feed it again. As it should. Fat is not a bad thing on a body (or for a body)