Guide to calorie deficits

Options

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I take a "fasting state" as being on zero calories for a period of over 24 hours. A severe calorie deficit is not a fasting state in my book. And so any theories of what the body does coming back from a fasting state and applying them on severe calorie deficits and starvation mode that are caused by that are incorrect.

I've done fasts of 4 days for religious/spiritual purposes so I'm more or less acquainted with what the body experiences coming back from a fasting state. Contrary to popular belief, binging isn't part of that. Weight gain is, and some of that is fat, as fat is also what you lose while fasting for an extended period: it's not just muscle loss. So your body responds appropriately when you feed it again. As it should. Fat is not a bad thing on a body (or for a body)

Could you refer back to which post you are talking about on this thread? I'm not sure what you are referring to. There's to many posts for me to go back and guess which one you are talking about.

As to the difference between a severe calorie deficit and fasting, they are essentially a difference in reaction severity only. Once your body reaches the level at which it cannot combine all it's resources to reach metabolic homeostasis, the process begins, whether that's with 0 incoming calories, or just enough so that combined nutritional intake, plus fat stores, plus glucose (and glycogen) stores, plus FFA's, plus protein cannot equal energy output, the body is designed to react, the only difference is the severity of that reaction, not the processes. I equate it, for the purposes of simplicity, as a electrical circuit with a breaker, once you trip that breaker, it doesn't matter how bad the surge is, it's still triggering the response. Granted it's not as black and white as that example, but that makes the point I believe. Maybe a more appropriate analogy would be a drain with a run off valve, not sure, I'll have to think of a correct analogy.
  • HisBeachgirl
    HisBeachgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    First I want to thank you for taking the time to help so many of us that want to get healthy in a good way, but just aren't sure on the right way to do that. I'm very mindful of all the lies society tells us (women in general) and I try to avoid them. But at the same time I know I'm not as healthy as I could be, and I'd love to play basketball with my 13 year old and keep up with him!

That said, I have a question coming from this section of your original post.
    Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)
    According to the BMI calculator my BMI is 25.3 and falls in the "overweight" category. (34yr old, 5'5", 152lb, female)
    However in your break down 25.3 is in the healthy category (barely, but it is). I totally get that BMI isn't the end all of everything, it just happens to be the only generic tool we have available. But I'm concerned about setting my goals. I suppose the fact I'm labeled "overweight" (and since I'd like to loose 20pounds I feel it's accurate) has me wanting to aim for a loss of 1pound a week (which I always thought was a healthy goal). But in the guide lines you suggest, even a goal of 1/2 lb a week is perhaps more than I should expect.

I totally understand you don't know ALL about me, you're not a doctor, and your word isn't law. But after seeing too many friends on crash diets, and doing their own bodies more harm than good, I'm wondering if perhaps my own goals (1 pound a week) isn't so healthy any more. I'm frustrated with my apparent stand still in both pounds and inches, and just getting confused.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    First I want to thank you for taking the time to help so many of us that want to get healthy in a good way, but just aren't sure on the right way to do that. I'm very mindful of all the lies society tells us (women in general) and I try to avoid them. But at the same time I know I'm not as healthy as I could be, and I'd love to play basketball with my 13 year old and keep up with him!

That said, I have a question coming from this section of your original post.
    Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)
    According to the BMI calculator my BMI is 25.3 and falls in the "overweight" category. (34yr old, 5'5", 152lb, female)
    However in your break down 25.3 is in the healthy category (barely, but it is). I totally get that BMI isn't the end all of everything, it just happens to be the only generic tool we have available. But I'm concerned about setting my goals. I suppose the fact I'm labeled "overweight" (and since I'd like to loose 20pounds I feel it's accurate) has me wanting to aim for a loss of 1pound a week (which I always thought was a healthy goal). But in the guide lines you suggest, even a goal of 1/2 lb a week is perhaps more than I should expect.

I totally understand you don't know ALL about me, you're not a doctor, and your word isn't law. But after seeing too many friends on crash diets, and doing their own bodies more harm than good, I'm wondering if perhaps my own goals (1 pound a week) isn't so healthy any more. I'm frustrated with my apparent stand still in both pounds and inches, and just getting confused.

noting everything above, I think you should banish weight from your goals. Do some measurements, set some fitness goals, and maybe have a body fat test done. That's my opinion. 25.3 is technically in the overweight category, but really, you're not overweight by that definition, that's the equivalent of one day drinking a few extra glasses of water. Seriously, if you really want it to be about healthy, forget the weight number, work on your body fat and performance. Obviously, this is all just my opinion, but if you were my client, this is what I would tell you.
  • HisBeachgirl
    HisBeachgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Now to un-wash my brain so to say.
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    welcome. :)
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, it's been a week... BUMP!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EmelyJ
    EmelyJ Posts: 208
    Options
    bump
  • BCXMC
    BCXMC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    >>>bumping :)
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    *naked bump*
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    *naked bump*

:blushing:
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, it's been a week... BUMP!

HAHA! Why does this sound familiar???

Oh yeah! :blushing:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Bump it up!
  • seeingthelight4444
    Options
    Bump
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    bump
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 90poundsoflard
    Options
    I really needed to read this. I've been trying to eat my exercise calories, but it just goes against everything I've ever heard. This totally makes sense - but it's going to take a while to convert my brain lol. I'm trying tho' - I really am - I just feel as tho' I'm pigging out and I feel so guilty. I'll see what happens.
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thanks something is working I am steadily losing every day:)
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    Bump