bump
  • HiJam
    HiJam Posts: 22
    Options
    Bump!
  • jeshutch
    jeshutch Posts: 4
    Options
    :smile: You're awesome! Thanks so much for explaining this! I've been working out with a trainer for months now and am stuck at the same weight (180ish) since December. My measurements and BMI have dropped significantly (both body fat % and BMI went down some 10 points each), but I'd like to see a change in the scale as well. I'm 5'10 and the MFP tool says I should consume 1200 calories to do my weight loss goal...which hasn't budged at all. I think, if I'm reading correctly, it's not working because I'm eating (honestly) between 1200-1500 calories a day, but then am exercising roughly 800 calories and not eating them back. My body is boycotting weight loss. I'll give it a shot for a while to see whether or not eating back those calories will help with the weight loss. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the insight!
  • valz2000
    valz2000 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • Isa25
    Isa25 Posts: 46
    Options
    bump
  • curlyloca
    curlyloca Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i guess this explains my SLOW weight loss. I had to change my activity level from slightly active to active. thank you! i'll keep everyone posted!
  • nancee50150
    nancee50150 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • heatherslosingit
    Options
    Hi thanks for that information, I have just copied it and pasted it to my documents so that I can remember it, I have not been eating mine and have been stuck for a long time but now that you have explained things I understand that I am probably in starvation mode so I will now go check out my BMI and start doing as you suggest... Thank you! Thank You! Thank you! from one less confused MFP member
  • heatherslosingit
    Options
    Hi

I have worked out my BMI 30.5 I am 60 years old, 5 ft:0inches tall and 154lbs my exercise is I suppose light, a bit of walking about 30mins 4 times a week as an average, and once a week 1 hours hydro aerobic exercise.. I am eating at the moment about 1000 cals a day and have not been eating my exercise calories. I am not losing weight and have been stuck for a while, so reading your post I think I am in starvation mode! Can you please recommend what I should be doing, I do not understand your meaning of deficit calories.. Basically should I up my eating to 1200 cals and then on the days I exercise eat the amount of calories I burn?
    Sorry to be so thick, perhaps you can put it down to my senior moments, which are on going...lol
    Your advise would be most welcome and I thank you in advance for you help!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Heather,
    Glad to help. In times like this I like to turn to the "tweaking" angle.

So 1000 calories is pretty low, even for someone small and who probably has a reduced metabolism with age. You might be risking nutrient deficiencies which can mess with your metabolism something fierce. So the first thing I would do is (if you haven't had this done already), is have your blood taken and have them do a full workup looking for any vitamin or mineral deficiencies. Things like calcium, iron, copper, zinc, vitamin B6, B12, A, C...etc. and any hormone deficiencies, any symptoms of metabolic syndrome (insulin resistance). These are all important factors to know about before tweaking your diet. As any one of these being deficient can effect your metabolic rate. Also make sure they check your thyroid levels, TSH, T3 and T4 levels, these can also play a large part in whether you are burning calories at an acceptable rate.

Once you do that, then come back and let me know, at that point I may be able to help you. You're food is set to private so I can't really tell if your diet is right for you anyway. We'd need to fix that if you want any further advice.
  • heatherslosingit
    Options
    Thanks for your advise, I will make an appointment at doctors to have blood test done, but I am going on holiday this saturday to America, so may have to do it when I get back.
    i have opened my food diary up I think.
    Thanks again
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks for your advise, I will make an appointment at doctors to have blood test done, but I am going on holiday this saturday to America, so may have to do it when I get back.
    i have opened my food diary up I think.
    Thanks again

you did, I PM'ed you with my initial impressions.
  • Yummymummy135
    Options
    Oh will you help me please!!? I'm, female, 5'6, and weigh153 pounds currently. I have not lost any weight this week and I'm doing everything right, well I thought I was. My BMI is 24.7 and my BMR seems to be 1780, although its different on every site I try. I am sedentary to lightly active.. depends on the day, work out for 20 mins a day and burn 185 calories with that and also pump milk 4 times a day for which I allow 120 calories burned. MFP recommends the usual 1200 and then add the exercise its 1505 calories to consume. I am eating all my calories but still the weight is not shifting.. I would appreciate your advice and help!!
  • porchwork
    porchwork Posts: 69
    Options
    Bump, good info:laugh:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Oh will you help me please!!? I'm, female, 5'6, and weigh153 pounds currently. I have not lost any weight this week and I'm doing everything right, well I thought I was. My BMI is 24.7 and my BMR seems to be 1780, although its different on every site I try. I am sedentary to lightly active.. depends on the day, work out for 20 mins a day and burn 185 calories with that and also pump milk 4 times a day for which I allow 120 calories burned. MFP recommends the usual 1200 and then add the exercise its 1505 calories to consume. I am eating all my calories but still the weight is not shifting.. I would appreciate your advice and help!!

Banks will probably have some better insight than I, but I think he's gone for the day now, so I thought I'd throw my thoughts in. First, any time you're breastfeeding (even for an older baby) you need to be very careful with deficits. That, and the fact that you are already within a healthy BMI and don't have much to lose, mean you want to have a very conservative deficit. A 1/2 lb/week loss goal would probably be best, IMO (which would put you at about 1500 before exercise/milk production).

Also, you may need to play with the activity level. Most moms of little ones are probably at least lightly active. Depending on how much milk you're pumping, you could be underestimating that - so if it was me, I'd try it out at lightly active first; in part to make sure milk doesn't suffer, and in part to maintain a conservative deficit.

Lastly, with being fairly close to goal, you definitely want to be doing some strength training in addition to cardio to maintain muscle mass.

Edit: Oh, and FYI, the 1780 would be your maintenance cals (BMR + activity level), not just your BMR. Your BMR is about 1425.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Yummymummy135
    Options
    Thanks! Hopefully he will help alright, just so confused at to what I should be having. I pump an average of 18-20oz a day, I do have a BMI of 24.7 but I'm not a healthy weight. I have a waist measurement of 34" and it should be 30 at least! I have about 13-18 pounds to loose, have only lost 3 so far.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Banks will probably have some better insight than I, but I think he's gone for the day now, so I thought I'd throw my thoughts in. First, any time you're breastfeeding (even for an older baby) you need to be very careful with deficits. That, and the fact that you are already within a healthy BMI and don't have much to lose, mean you want to have a very conservative deficit. A 1/2 lb/week loss goal would probably be best, IMO (which would put you at about 1500 before exercise/milk production).

Also, you may need to play with the activity level. Most moms of little ones are probably at least lightly active. Depending on how much milk you're pumping, you could be underestimating that - so if it was me, I'd try it out at lightly active first; in part to make sure milk doesn't suffer, and in part to maintain a conservative deficit.

Lastly, with being fairly close to goal, you definitely want to be doing some strength training in addition to cardio to maintain muscle mass.

Edit: Oh, and FYI, the 1780 would be your maintenance cals (BMR + activity level), not just your BMR. Your BMR is about 1425.

actually, considering her age, weight, height, and activity level, that does sound like her BMR, and her maintenance seems somewhere around 1950 or so (probably slightly higher considering she is nursing, and nursing mothers burn more calories, although if she's accounting for that separately...) I'd say probably stick somewhere in the 1600 to 1700 range plus exercise. Other than that, right on ladyhawk. I agree that 1200 is far to low for your situation. This is obviously predicated on the fact that we know nothing other than the basic facts you provided, and thus any advice given is very very generic.