Is 125 the "magic" number?

Options

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 125 is not the number for me. I didn't feel comfortable at that weight.
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    i think 125 is a nice round number.. so people just go for it. i do wonder what i'd look like at 125.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I don't understand either. I'm 5'9" and I would be disgusting if I was 125. My goal is 150.

This, pretty much exactly.

You're one of the girls whose weight boggles my mind. You look incredible, and it's probably all the muscle because a lot of girls your weight look way heavier than you.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and would like to be between 120-130 because that is a healthy weight for my height. I don't know if other people just like the number or something :p
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Actually my ideal weight is 130, with 20% body fat. BTW, I am short and just want to keep some of the "Squishy" parts in all the right places. ;)
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I was 125 when my doctor asked me if I was anorexic. (wasn't, later diagnosed as celiac) I am 5'4
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Statistics?

Average female height is 5'4". 125 pounds at 5'4" is a BMI of 21, squarely in the middle of the "normal" category.

So, of course you'll see lots of women targeting 125, because lots of women are about that height.
    Exactly.
    For example the issue I have in my hand right now is March 2012, and the centerfold lists her stats as:
    5'11 125 lbs
    bust:34C, waist:24, Hips:35

So I think that maybe men growing up and looking at these magazines would always see these hot women, at around 125lbs, and they think that is the "ideal" weight for a woman to be considered hot. (?)
    Don't believe everything you read in Playboy! :bigsmile:

If a woman is 5' 11" and she has a 35C bust with 35" hips, there is absolutely no way that she weighs 125lb.

The magazine has printed that figure because it "sounds good" and the fact that you've fallen for it is proof that sadly it works...
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    My goal is 107. :D Take THAT. :D

My goal is 115! I've never heard of this mystical magic number. I think this depends on your height - I would imagine someone taller would look ridiculous at 125 and someone at my height (5'1") would look fine at 125 but would also be fine under 125...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 hoping for 110 pds. :bigsmile:
  • ekloretto
    ekloretto Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    125 has always been mythical to me... My lowest adult weight is today at 158... I'm 5'6 and what I think is a pretty sturdy build. Currently I'm wearing a size 10 but on the verge of an 8. The goal I am shooting for is 142-148. I started shooting for 148 but as I did more research into body fat% etc I think 142 might be a better fit. We'll see, definitely not 125!! At 125 my hip bones might constitute weapons!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't understand either. I'm 5'9" and I would be disgusting if I was 125. My goal is 150.

This, pretty much exactly.

You're one of the girls whose weight boggles my mind. You look incredible, and it's probably all the muscle because a lot of girls your weight look way heavier than you.

Thanks. I also have a large frame and maybe even denser bones or something. I've always been heavier than I look.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My original goal was 125.

Even though I would like to focus more on bf% and getting stronger, I'm 5'3 and would like to be between 115-120.
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    125 is how much I weighed in my wedding dress. I like numbers that are divisible by 5...lol I often wonder why people want numbers like 123 or 128 because they don't end in 0 & 5. I am a math teacher too and just always had a fascination with numbers end in 0 or 5.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why not 128? why not 123?
    I get the rest of the question, but come on, don't act like you don't know why people would choose a number ending in 5 or 0.
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Of course it completely depends on body shape, frame, everything else. I'm trying to lose just a few lbs to get back to my normal, comfortable weight of 115. I'm 5'7" and at 120+ I start to noticeable look a little chunky. Other women the same height or shorter would look absolutely famished at 125, but I have quite a small frame. On the other hand if I was doing better at gaining muscle I could look pretty ripped at 125+ so there you go. It's all relative. The focus should be on what feels healthy and balanced for you, not what you think you should weigh or what your friends weigh.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I am 125, and my goal is 125 :) I'm 5'4" with plenty of muscles and I am now competing in triathlons. For me, that's perfect. My original goal weight was 117, but when I got to 125 and 19% body fat I realized that I would lose muscle if I lost more weight, and that was unacceptable. I'd probably stay happy in a range of 122-128, but this is good now.

We have similar thoughts yet I'm 5'6". I'm at 19% body fat right now and not willing to go any lower than 120 because I would most definitely lose muscle. But honestly, if I would go to 128 like above poster - it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Statistics?

Average female height is 5'4". 125 pounds at 5'4" is a BMI of 21, squarely in the middle of the "normal" category.

So, of course you'll see lots of women targeting 125, because lots of women are about that height.
    Exactly.
    For example the issue I have in my hand right now is March 2012, and the centerfold lists her stats as:
    5'11 125 lbs
    bust:34C, waist:24, Hips:35

So I think that maybe men growing up and looking at these magazines would always see these hot women, at around 125lbs, and they think that is the "ideal" weight for a woman to be considered hot. (?)
    Don't believe everything you read in Playboy! :bigsmile:

If a woman is 5' 11" and she has a 35C bust with 35" hips, there is absolutely no way that she weighs 125lb.

The magazine has printed that figure because it "sounds good" and the fact that you've fallen for it is proof that sadly it works...

I call that phenomenon "boy pounds." The weight that men (well, boys, anyway) think women weigh.

Usually they weigh no more than 107 pounds in Playboy. Only the very, very tall are allowed to (claim to) be over 120.
  • Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    the lowest i want to go is 140 it is in the healthy for my height of 5'3" and something i think i can maintain...any lower then that and i think i would have a difficult time maintaining...but ill just have to see when i get there :)
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5"-- I weighed 125 a few years back and I wasn't too skinny. I was thin but muscular. I also have big hips/legs so it's hard for me to look "too skinny".

But, women are beautiful thick or thin-- it's what is important to each individual that matters.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    For me it's the number I had after baby #2 and b-4 I gained weight. Once I get to 125 maybe I'll go for 112, the number I was when I was bodybuilding.