bump and THANK YOU!
  • miaroche
    miaroche Posts: 12
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • Masharitos
    Masharitos Posts: 106
    Options
    Bump. Defo want to try the lasagna. Anything I can sub the white sauce for? X

I don't see a recipe with white sauce. Which do you mean?
  • jbond80
    jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vickidedio
    Options
    Awesome ideas!
    ... What does 'bump' mean? (new to all this!!)
  • superstankazz
    Options
    Grilled Chicken Burgers
    Original Recipe Yield 8 servings

Ingredients
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
    • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
    • 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
    • 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
    • 2 carrots, chopped
    • 2 pounds ground chicken
    • 1 egg
    • 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
    • 1 tablespoon Seasoning
    • salt to taste
    • black pepper to taste
    Directions
    1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil grate.
    2. Lightly spray a saute pan with cooking or oil spray over medium heat. Saute the onion with the garlic first, then the bell pepper, then the mushrooms, tomatoes and carrots, all to desired tenderness. Set aside and allow all vegetables to cool completely.
    3. In a large bowl, combine the chicken and vegetables. Add the egg, bread crumbs and seasonings to taste. Mix all together well and form into 8 patties.
    4. Grill over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes per side, or to desired doneness.
    This recipe sounds like it would be very yummy, but it is NOT low carb! A 1/2 C breadcrumbs has 40 grams of carbs and 2 large carrots have nearly 25 grams of carbs. Sorry.
    superstankazz - You're kidding right?!! :noway: Because what you shared would only be true if you ate all 8 of the burgers in one sitting.

Pretty sure that's not what most of us would do... I find this thread to be more about sharing healthy ways to eat and cook with healthier foods and ways to create new meals to try out. Plus you can always opt out of a particular ingredient and substitute with what you prefer. :wink: :flowerforyou:
    Actually, NO, I'm not kidding. I ran this entire recipe through MFP database and it comes up to 12 grams carbs per serving! Someone posting a recipe and claiming it to be "low carb" should not include breadcrumbs as an ingredient. If someone saw this and didn't know any better, they would think that bread crumbs were ok for low carb weight loss and they're not. I know better, but someone else may not.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I microwave food to reheat. But I'm wary of actually cooking something in it. I found this recipe... I just can't take that first leap, but I thought I'd share it with you all. It's for a flax cup muffin. If you want zero carbs, omit the cinnamon. It got great reviews, so if you try it, let us know how it came out.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/one-minute-flax-muffin-low-carb-295649
    When I give it a try I'll let you know!:happy:
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    bump for checking out later, yum!
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Tuscn Mushrooms

Ingredients
    1/2 cup diced jarred roasted red bell peppers
    1/2 cup diced pitted green olives
    1/2 cup grated pecorino Romano
    2 scallions, diced
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 pound white button mushrooms, cleaned and stemmed
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a medium bowl mix together the roasted red bell peppers, olives, cheese, scallions, olive oil, salt, and pepper.

On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet place the mushrooms, cavity side up. Spoon the filling into the cavity of the mushrooms. Bake until the mushrooms are tender, about 20 minutes.

Transfer the mushrooms to a serving platter, sprinkle with chopped basil, and serve.

SERVINGS: 4; Calories: 220; Total Fat 18 grams; Saturated Fat: 5 grams; Protein: 10 grams; Total carbohydrates: 6 grams; Sugar: 3 grams Fiber: 2 grams; Cholesterol: 15 milligrams; Sodium: 954 milligrams
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    1 1/2 cups flax seed meal
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 teaspoons sugar substitute (or less)
    2-3 egg whites, beaten until soft peaks form
    1/2 cup water
    4 teaspoons olive oil
    Spices optional (I've added garlic, fennel seed, pepper, onion powder in the past)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425.
    Combine dry ingredients and mix with fork or whisk.
    Make a well in the center and add wet ingredients ( except egg whites) and mix well.
    Using your clean hands, gently fold in egg whites 1/3 at a time, making sure eggs integrate well.
    Let sit for five minutes.
    Spread on greased cookie sheet on parchment paper to desired thickness, I like it to be about 9 x 10 inches.
    Bake 15-20 minutes.

Remove to wire rack to let cool. Once I left it in the pan and the bottom was a bit moist. Depending on how you cut it, your macros will look different. I've doubled the recipe and had 18 squares for 101 cal, 8 F, 5P, ZERO CARBS! 5g of fiber.

Perfect for a sammich, great for any low carb diet. It's just plain better for you than any whole wheat bread, period. I've heard that using golden flax seed meal will give a more subtle taste of the flax, but I haven't tried that yet.

If you don't feel like beating the eggs, I'm sure you can get away with just dumping it all in at once. The idea is to give the bread a bit of fluff/air pockets.

Can't wait to try out this bread, it does sound yum! Regarding the sweetener, is it better to use dry or is wet sweetener OK with this particular recipe? Thanks!

I used Truvia, will try Stevia (but I'm still not sure about the taste). I'm not sure what you mean by wet, agave? That will increase the carb and calorie count. I'm sure you can try it. The recipe will yield about 8-9 squares (rather small) so I'd add 1/8 cup of agave or honey if wet. I didn't use the entire 1/4 cup because I didn't want it so sweet. Let me know how it turns out. Last one I made was 18 squares (doubled recipe with 5 egg whites).

Exactly what I was inquiring, thanks!
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    BUMPPPPPPPPPPPPP!
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    but you are counting the entire 8 burgers for your portion....divide that by 8 and its great!
  • Masharitos
    Options
    but you are counting the entire 8 burgers for your portion....divide that by 8 and its great!

Not exactly, each burger is 8-10 carbs depending on the size of each veggie. It's ok if your goal is less than 100, not ok if your goal is less than 10. You can cut the carbs by using almond meal, which has fewer carbs, or flax meal which has zero instead of crumbs. Sub a green pepper for the red (use half). Half of the onion. Absolutely no carrots or tomatoes. Then you're looking at 1 or 2 (here I'm guessing, it may be less).
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

Not exactly, each burger is 8-10 carbs depending on the size of each veggie. It's ok if your goal is less than 100, not ok if your goal is less than 10. You can cut the carbs by using almond meal, which has fewer carbs, or flax meal which has zero instead of crumbs. Sub a green pepper for the red (use half). Half of the onion. Absolutely no carrots or tomatoes. Then you're looking at 1 or 2 (here I'm guessing, it may be less).

Masharitos, I hear what you're saying ... for me I don't limit them in the same way as some on here so it would work great for me. But yes, if you're really keeping super low carb for health reasons or that type of thing, then yes, I can understand how it wouldn't work for some.
  • Masharitos
    Options

Masharitos, I hear what you're saying ... for me I don't limit them in the same way as some on here so it would work great for me. But yes, if you're really keeping super low carb for health reasons or that type of thing, then yes, I can understand how it wouldn't work for some.

To each his own burger :happy:
  • robinkelly25
    robinkelly25 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

To each his own burger :happy:
    :tongue: Exactly!:drinker:
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting these great recipes. I am a low carber also.
  • Mrs_Holly
    Mrs_Holly Posts: 42
    Options
    just happen to come across this post. LOVED I found something to replace the bread crumbs. I am a low carb body now... and always looking to find better choices. THANKS for sharing your post and info!!
  • Philchang
    Philchang Posts: 5
    Options
    SUPER! I'm gong to try this tonight! :)