The Paleo Diet Moves From The Gym To The Doctor's Office

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I was going to try to go with the paleo diet but I found that I simply could not afford it. Meat is expensive and I have a family to feed. So I eat as healthy as I can afford to and limit my portion sizes.

That is funny. We cut our grocery bill by at least 60% when we converted to Paleo.

Curious as to how you did that, as grains and legumes are some of the cheapest things to buy esp when bought in bulk

Well I no longer shop in the grocery stores now. Farmers markets, CSA membership and Coop for produce, eggs and raw dairy. And I am growing some of my own veggies.

Local farmer for meats. (averages $2.00 / lb and we get steaks, roasts which gets ground up for burger, free range chicken and different cuts of heritage certified pork).

For the record, I wasn't eating grains and legumes prior to Paleo as I was on Atkins then, but purchasing food from regular grocery stores then.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Corn started out like wheat then it was domesticated in Mexico and the kernels became bigger and bigger and then became one of the 3 sisters that the Mayans and further Native Americans used as a staple. The 3 sisters were beans, squash, and corn what one plant took from the soil the others replenish the soil. Also Neanderthals were hunter and gathers, they killed large slow moving prey because their tools could only go short distances they also migrated with the herds. Then came the Euro Sapiens which were still hunters and gathers but their tools were better made and they could kill their prey from a distance and didn't have to run and chase the prey. Since they were better in everything, the Neanderthals died out due to lack of food. And you could only eat was what was native in your area. Your not gonna find berries all year in the Arctic, In Mongolia the altitude is high so only certain foods are available, Africa hot and only certain foods and animals can survive. So where are these people getting the diets that they are telling you to use. Are they scientist who have found fossilized poop and have tested it How do the know what they ate half of the plants and animals are extinct that lived when they were hunting.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I was going to try to go with the paleo diet but I found that I simply could not afford it. Meat is expensive and I have a family to feed. So I eat as healthy as I can afford to and limit my portion sizes.

That is funny. We cut our grocery bill by at least 60% when we converted to Paleo.

Curious as to how you did that, as grains and legumes are some of the cheapest things to buy esp when bought in bulk

Well I no longer shop in the grocery stores now. Farmers markets, CSA membership and Coop for produce, eggs and raw dairy. And I am growing some of my own veggies.

Local farmer for meats. (averages $2.00 / lb and we get steaks, roasts which gets ground up for burger, free range chicken and different cuts of heritage certified pork).

For the record, I wasn't eating grains and legumes prior to Paleo as I was on Atkins then, but purchasing food from regular grocery stores then.

Hoe does one find these farmers that sell meat that cheap? Grass fed or not, don't think I've seen beef that cheap, seen chicken for $1.99/lb
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Doctors prescribe HCG, so I'm not going to be sold on anything just because a doctor prescribes it. However, Paleo sounds actually healthy as opposed to the HCG starvation diets. Paleo isn't for me, but interesting article anyway. :D
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Doctors prescribe HCG, so I'm not going to be sold on anything just because a doctor prescribes it. However, Paleo sounds actually healthy as opposed to the HCG starvation diets. Paleo isn't for me, but interesting article anyway. :D

Holy cow, you just brought HCG up into the conversation...are you nuts!?

And I agree - some doctors will endorse anything that will bring in more $$$, regardless of how dangerous or worthless it is.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Eating enough calories worth of bugs would be healthier than the HCG diet.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Hoe does one find these farmers that sell meat that cheap? Grass fed or not, don't think I've seen beef that cheap, seen chicken for $1.99/lb

Guess it depends on where you live. I am surrounded by Grass fed farmers in the Midwest. Since buying from several different farmers, the most i have paid per pound is $2.70
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

So what do you eat that is cheaper? Quick and easy pre-packaged food? Eating paleo/primal is more than just weight loss. It is for overall health.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

And I agree - some doctors will endorse anything that will bring in more $$$, regardless of how dangerous or worthless it is.

Dr's would make less money off of Paleo if anything. It's not like they run a grocery store after hours.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

So what do you eat that is cheaper? Quick and easy pre-packaged food? Eating paleo/primal is more than just weight loss. It is for overall health.

If a person simply can't afford or have access to good food what other option would they have? To just starve?
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    ...Just a few facts...

For the vast majority of the Paleolithic era, humans couldn't create or manipulate fire; on top of that, they lacked the sophistication of tools in order to fish.
    So, being true to the "time" would require consumption of only raw meats and no fish.

Also, part of their lack of modern diseases such as Type 2 Diabetes and heart diseases result not from a limited diet of meat, fruit, and veggies, but from a diet of LEAN meats and hours of daily strenuous exercise, on top of a shorter lifespan (making diseases less likely to engender themselves).

Legumes were also around (I read somewhere that that is restricted in the Paleo community), as well as wide-spread cannibalism.
  • bm99
    Options

So what do you eat that is cheaper? Quick and easy pre-packaged food? Eating paleo/primal is more than just weight loss. It is for health.

65% of your calories are supposed to come from meat (according to a paleo site), that is a LOT of meat to buy for a family!

A diet that limits meat but is high in nuts and beans is cheaper and not "quick and easy pre packaged foods". Meat in itself doesn't offer anything nutrition wise that you can't get elsewhere, and probably cheaper.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Check out http://www.eatwild.com/products/newjersey.html
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    My creepy doctor recommended a raw, mostly vegetable based diet based on Noah vs Noah's son's age upon death. Also, the size of our digestive system.. and something else. I forget.

You can make good spin for most eating plans. I like to use the "bread is eternal" argument, personally. Mostly 'cause I like baking it, and who's going to eat it if not me?

Personally, a life without lentils seems like a life of constipation, no matter how much fat and raw vegetable I'm eating.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options

Dr's would make less money off of Paleo if anything. It's not like they run a grocery store after hours.

HA! Good point - I was thinking of HCG and prescriptions in general. But you're right - people would actually get healthy and not be feeding pharma with the paleo/primal method.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

Another reason I have more respect for this Paleo thing being prescribed by doctors. Unless they're actually selling books or something in the doctor's office, they're not doing it for pure profit.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options

localharvest.org - usually you can find farms that specialize in grass fed deliciousness. :)
  • bm99
    Options

So what do you eat that is cheaper? Quick and easy pre-packaged food? Eating paleo/primal is more than just weight loss. It is for health.

65% of your calories are supposed to come from meat (according to a paleo site), that is a LOT of meat to buy for a family!

A diet that limits meat but is high in nuts and beans is cheaper and not "quick and easy pre packaged foods". Meat in itself doesn't offer anything nutrition wise that you can't get elsewhere, and probably cheaper.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Check out http://www.eatwild.com/products/newjersey.html

thx will check out

Yikes the one closest to me has higher prices then the local whole foods
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Incorrect, it is HIGH FAT, MODERATE protein, low or moderate carbs (depending on activity levels)