Closed Diary's

Replies

• catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    My beef is with "friends" with closed diaries...I don't care how others keep their diaries.

Well then why not take it up with them on your own feed, instead of posting here?
    What business do you have butting in like that? This is an open forum and I have as much right expressing an opinion as you!

LOL, listen to yourself....wow. Talk about butting in....:laugh:
  • catshark209
    I think you need a life.

Also, learn to spell.

THIS
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Because what I eat is none of your business.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    I keep mine closed because I'm more hesitant to be truthful and log what I eat because I'm afraid that people will criticize me or bug me about it. I don't eat junk food all the time or anything but I do allow myself treats and I don't need to hear negative comments. I track my food for MY purposes, not to share with everyone else for their critique. I'd rather log without feeling pressure rather than be tempted to doctor my diary to avoid criticism. I have people on my friends list to engage in conversation and support. I don't need to know all the details of their eating habits to do that.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    I really don't understand the butthurt over closed diaries. If someone is that anxious to see it, I give them the key. With all the different food choices out there, there are far too many opinions of what's "healthy" and what isn't. Too many opinions coming in at once is too overwhelming. I also put notes sometimes about how I'm feeling that day, etc., which can get pretty personal.

As for saying "Congrats?" It doesn't matter how much over/under they were over their goal, or what their macros looked like that day. I say "congrats" because they were accountable for what they ate. Period. Whether it was for themselves only, or to share with the world.
  • perpetuallyfit
    perpetuallyfit Posts: 153 Member
    My beef is with "friends" with closed diaries...I don't care how others keep their diaries.

Well then why not take it up with them on your own feed, instead of posting here?
    What business do you have butting in like that? This is an open forum and I have as much right expressing an opinion as you!
    [/quot
    You did exactly that. Who cares for your opinion anyways? :bigsmile:
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    I dont see the need to scrutinize and judge someone else's diary. If they ask or mention they dont understand why they are't losing, THEN I politely give my thoughts. Otherwise its none of my business, I can think whatever I want but keep my mouth shut because I haven't been asked. Despite being on this site we dont HAVE to share anything we dont want to. If it bothers you, defriend them and go on with your life.

I do have a friend who follows a lovely & rather gourmet diet and I do compliment her on her diary. Thats is the nature of that friendship but not all are like that and should be respected accordingly.
  • Mine is closed because what I eat is my business and no one else's. I don't browse my MFP "friends" diaries because what they eat is none of my business. I comment on a weight loss post or an exercise post and that's it. Why does this bother people so much? This isn't the first thread I've seen on this subject and I am amazed at how some people seem to have nothing better to do than ***** about someone else's private food business. Please get over it and worry about yourself. If you don't like the closed diary, then remove that person from your friends list and move on.

This ^^ :smile:
  • AmericanExpat
    AmericanExpat Posts: 158 Member
    I really don't understand the butthurt over closed diaries. If someone is that anxious to see it, I give them the key. With all the different food choices out there, there are far too many opinions of what's "healthy" and what isn't. Too many opinions coming in at once is too overwhelming. I also put notes sometimes about how I'm feeling that day, etc., which can get pretty personal.

As for saying "Congrats?" It doesn't matter how much over/under they were over their goal, or what their macros looked like that day. I say "congrats" because they were accountable for what they ate. Period. Whether it was for themselves only, or to share with the world.

^^^THIS^^^ Worry about you and congratulate for being accountable. Being friends on MFP does not qualify one to know all the details of my private journal IMHO.
  • catshark209

[/quot
    You did exactly that. Who cares for your opinion anyways? :bigsmile:

And who wants to hear yours???
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    I don't want or ask for anyone's opinion on what I eat. My diary is only of concern to me. I don't need that kind of support, (or judgment!). What works for me is what works for me. Don't care what anyone else thinks. That is not why MFP works for me.

Some folks feel the need to be accountable to others, and that is fine. That is totally not me. At all. And I am sure I am not alone in that.

So to answer your question, it's NOYB what is in my diary, that is why it's private. The end.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    You are mistaken in your belief that everyone here is in need of support. Some of us just like using the tools available here.
    Eggzackly.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    I keep mine closed because when it's open I get way to much unsolicited advice/criticism about how much I'm eating. I'm under the supervision of a Doctor and it just is irritating when someone that isn't my Doctor tells me that I'm doing it all wrong.

If my Doctor doesn't have a problem with what or how much I'm eating I really don't see why anyone else should either. Being friends on MFP does not qualify one to know all the details of my private journal IMHO.
  • hrwinston
    hrwinston Posts: 28
    I don't think it is anyone's business what I eat....I don't care what anyone else eats either. I like to use the tools and log weight. I don't always log my food in my diary.
  • For a long time I kept mine private because I was only using it to keep track of Calories, so I didn't feel like having people read everything I'd been eating. Part of that may have been the shame cycle of BED, but much of it was just that I am naturally reserved. When I decided I wanted more helpful support, I decided to open my diary to my friends so if it looks like I'm going off track they can help me figure out where...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I honestly don't understand why it bothers anyone.

This.

Mine is open, when I bother to log my food. But no one's comments on how or what I eat, whether positive or negative, has any impact on whether or not I continue to eat those food items. I turned off the "has completed her food diary" status update because I don't need a dozen or so "wtg" to let me know whether or not I ate well that day. I know what I ate... I ate it. I know if it was good for me or not. I see the macros and I've seen the results in my body.

IF someone is struggling and asking for help, then, yeah, having the food diary open is a good thing. Otherwise, who cares?
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    I tend to be very private but after thinking about it I decided to open my diary. I do only open it to friends, I can't imagine why anyone that isn't actively supporting me would care. The reason I did open it was because I figured it would be interesting to view someone else's diary to get new ideas and since I find it beneficial it is only fair that I am willing to do so as well.

I would never comment on a person's food choices however unless it was requested. Even if I thought they were not eating enough or the wrong foods. That would be offensive to me unless I asked for someone's opinion. If someone is tracking that is worth celebrating not what is being tracked.
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Because there is a difference between support and criticism and a lot of MFP members don't know the difference...mines is public because of a challenge I'm in...it was closed before and when the challenge is closed I may take it to friends but more than likely it will go back to close. Y because frankly its none of your business point blank period and if I lose a friend over it oh well.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    If they are my friend, I tell them I don't like it because I can't keep them accountable for being healthy if I can't see what they are eating or how far under they ate (alot of people with ED's on here and I DON'T want to encourage that). And I'm not going to go around calling people out on what they ate, unless we are close MFPers. But if someone ate all fresh vegetables, lean meats, healthy stuff all day and are under, I am going to compliment their diary. If they ate all Mcdonalds and cheesecake, even if they stayed under goal I'm not going to compliment them. I think there is more to MFP than just staying UNDER your goal, although it is an important part.

If they ask me how to open it I tell them. .

If they keep it closed, I defriend them. :ohwell: I feel bad doing it, but I can't really be your "friend" if you are keeping that significant of a secret from me.

If they are not my friend I don't even look anyway...unless they are posting for help in a message board or something.
    Wow. Just wow. See, I view a true friend as someone who offers unconditional support. Someone who will still be supportive of me, even if I have a bad food day.
    It's kind of like saying: "even though we are married we don't need to have sex because holding hands should be enough." :wink:
    No, not really. It's more like telling your spouse, "I love you, but only if you tell me every single thing you do every day, and every single thought that goes through your head every day. If you don't do this, I'm getting a divorce."

Attitudes like this are why I limit my MFP friends to people I actually know, and they are the only ones who can see my diary. I open it to them in case they'd like to get ideas on what to eat, not because I expect them to police my food intake. I had a mother who did that most of my life, which is a big reason why I'm here today. I don't need some sanctimonious internet strangers to do it as well.
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    I kept mine open when I used it. It's closed now because I have been trying play things by ear. It was getting exhausting thinking about logging so I am taking a logging break. I don't defriend anyone because their diary is closed. To each their own. It's none of my business, but I also usually don't comment on people's under calories or whatever goal.