Paleo - Pros/Cons

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm saying that you can likely eat more than your "alloted" calories and still get the results you are looking for depending on your goal. Though from my little experience, it doesn't' seem that hose on Paleo count calories.

I'm sorry but no, whether or not you are aware of exactly how many calories you can consume without your body storing energy as fat, if you net more than that magic number, you will gain weight.

Paleo folks do often count calories, but calories don't rack up as quickly without simple carbohydrates or refined sugars. If you're eating meat and vegetables almost exclusively, meeting your calorie requirement is more difficult. When you eliminate notoriously high calorie foods (like bread) from your diet, substituting that becomes a challenge.

I support the primal/paleo lifestyle but I hate misinformation.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options

. I'm saying that you can likely eat more than your "alloted" calories and still get the results you are looking for depending on your goal.

And why do you think this is true?

Because if my goal is to feel better from an intolerance to dairy, and I cut out dairy, but consume 250 calories over my alloted caloric intake, and feel better, then goal accomplished, right?

Sure, if your goal is to feel better, and dairy makes you feel bad, and you stop consuming dairy, you could probably consume 4000 calories over your allotted intake and accomplish your goal. Given this context, I agree.

That's all I'm saying. If I came across as saying that a person on paleo can totally disregard the amount of calories they consume, then that was incorrect.
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I did paleo for a bout a month. It made me feel amazing and really helped with weight loss, and inflammation, and bloating, and headaches etc. The only con I found was that it was really hard to maintain. For someone who eats most of their meals at home, this wouldn't be a problem. It just didn't work for me, as I leave 8 hours before lunch and had no way of keeping any food cold or being able to heat anything up. Overall though, I think it's awesome, I just wish it were a bit more convenient. And eating out at a restaurant is a huge challenge!

Eating out is easy............

Steaks or seafood and steamed vegetables. Easy peasy.

I'm a teacher and I have 2 toddlers. I have a pretty busy schedule. I keep this insulated bag (I don't want to say lunch box- it really looks like a purse to most people, but it's insulated) with ice packs and take it with me most places I go. I keep Paleo foods/snacks packed in it at all times, so when I leave the house- I just grab it and take it with me.
    I always have an emergency tupperware of almond butter and bag of nuts if I'm hungry and can't find "paleo-friendly" foods.
    I make a veggie and meat for lunch. Right when school ends I have a fruit and nuts, dinner is more veggies and meat, maybe a splurge on some Paleo cookies I've made with almond flour or coconut flour. I've been doing it for 3 months and I was used to it after a month. I will say I have ALOT more dishes to do each day because I'm constantly cooking. My husband really likes getting to try new foods and likes that I cook more (becauase I have to.)
    I've tried splurging on non-Paleo foods recently and I really don't feel well afterwards.

I highly recommend everyone trying it, ESPECIALLY if you are already having stomach issues.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    CarbCurve.png
  • Jipples
    Options
    Because it's your argument, start a thread that asks mfp'ers how many of them are eating their alloted caloric amount, and are training, yet are still struggling to lose weight.

What does this have to do with the pros and cons of paleo?

Nothing. But it does sort of de-simplify calorie in/calorie out.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    CarbCurve.png

LOL!

that's not real, is it?
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Because it's your argument, start a thread that asks mfp'ers how many of them are eating their alloted caloric amount, and are training, yet are still struggling to lose weight.

I'm not sure what you mean, sorry.
  • Acg67
    Options
    CarbCurve.png

LOL!

that's not real, is it?

300 or more grams/day - Danger Zone!

Easy to reach with the “normal” American diet (cereals, pasta, rice, bread, waffles, pancakes, muffins, soft drinks, packaged snacks, sweets, desserts). High risk of excess fat storage, inflammation, increased disease markers including Metabolic Syndrome or diabetes. Sharp reduction of grains and other processed carbs is critical unless you are on the “chronic cardio” treadmill (which has its own major drawbacks).

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#ixzz1wrHh4xjc

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    CarbCurve.png

LOL!

that's not real, is it?

Easy to reach with the “normal” American diet (cereals, pasta, rice, bread, waffles, pancakes, muffins, soft drinks, packaged snacks, sweets, desserts). High risk of excess fat storage, inflammation, increased disease markers including Metabolic Syndrome or diabetes. Sharp reduction of grains and other processed carbs is critical unless you are on the “chronic cardio” treadmill (which has its own major drawbacks).

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#ixzz1wrHh4xjc

Is there another section that customizes this based on an individuals protein and fat needs, or is this literally a blanket recommendation regardless of someones size and activity?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    CarbCurve.png

Curiously I'm still losing despite being well into the danger zone. And at a single digit BF%.
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Why do people get so pushy about this particular topic...seriously...

My question to those who bash it because you say it is restrictive or cutting out certain food groups isn't worth it - have you even tried???

It's about as reasonable as refusing to eat foods that are a certain color. There is just NO evidence to back up the restrictions.

No evidence aside...there are people who do cut certain foods from their diet and feel better....not saying it works for everyone and some people don't have issues...

For myself i took myself off grains for a reason that had nothing to do with Paleo....it made me feel a whole lot better...I choose other options than foods with grains.

I have no problem avoiding beans because I never really liked them to begin with so easy for me to pretty much ignore them...

Some people don't have a problem with restrictions...I restrict certain things because it makes me feel better...hey it may not work for you - so you don't restrict them...

I have been without grains for quite awhile that I am to a point if I do ingest more than a bite or two I feel miserable...I learned my tolerance levels...

Yes there are Paleo Zealots here on MFP but I think most of what you will find are people who strive to adhere the best they can to the basic tenants of Paleo/Primal and hey if we happen to have a cupcake every once in a while or have a handful of chips.

i will say once I sort of aligned myself with the Paleo/Primal eating style and started making recipies I have found it actually hads broadened what I eat now...now I eat all sorts fo stuff I would have never have touched in the past - Brussel sprouts (dude, I'll take oven roasted brussel sprouts over a hunk of bread any day, now - if you had told me a year ago i would be writing that I would have had you checked for a head injury...), bok choy, arugula...

I know I can HAVE anything I want - I simply CHOOSE not to have certain things 95% of the time...

If someone wants to give it a try then they should...they can easily decide hey...I like pasta and black beans far too much...I am not going to align myself with this eating style

Well said.
  • Acg67
    Options
    CarbCurve.png

LOL!

that's not real, is it?

Is there another section that customizes this based on an individuals protein and fat needs, or is this literally a blanket recommendation regardless of someones size and activity?

i think he says in his book he'll explain it in more depth, but the chart applies to the avg person
  • Jipples
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean, sorry.

Just that there are those who believe, and maybe can, eat calories in whichever macro and it not matter, as long as its under their allotment. I know for a fact, my body responds differently, and more sensitively, to carbs. If I eat 2500 calories of cookies, compared to 2500 calories of ribs, I feel much better after eating the ribs, and I'll look less puffy.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    . But it does sort of de-simplify calorie in/calorie out.

Died
  • Sidesteal
    Options

i think he says in his book he'll explain it in more depth, but the chart applies to the avg person

Good, because he's definitely got some explaining to do.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    CarbCurve.png

LOL!

that's not real, is it?

How is not just Atkins?
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I just read through 10 pages.

derp derp derp derp Paleo is great !

derp derpaderp derp Paleo is awful !

I just wanted to contribute in a thoughtful way.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    if someone does a paleo diet and then later finds out it's not for them and stop doing paleo and then go back to a regular kind of diet, do you gain back the weight you've lost on paleo even if you stuck to a diet of another nature?????
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    if someone does a paleo diet and then later finds out it's not for them and stop doing paleo and then go back to a regular kind of diet, do you gain back the weight you've lost on paleo even if you stuck to a diet of another nature?????

No, unless your new diet puts you in an energy surplus.

While I may find things that I disagree with about the diet, it's not going to be dangerous and stopping it won't, by itself, cause weight gain.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

You might gain water weight back when you start eating carbs again. Otherwise, no, unless you're overeating