Paleo - Pros/Cons

Options

Replies

• Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    if someone does a paleo diet and then later finds out it's not for them and stop doing paleo and then go back to a regular kind of diet, do you gain back the weight you've lost on paleo even if you stuck to a diet of another nature?????

No, but you will die.

I kid...I kid
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    ok thank you for answering my question, I would like to try it. I love the carbs and I would like to train myself away from them so maybe I'll give this a try for awhile. Who knows maybe I'll like it.
  • toysbigkid
    Options
    LOL Jibbles
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I "tried" Primal... because you can have dairy. But I couldn't give up peanut butter. And though I followed it to the T on every other aspect for a month and a half. The weight did not fall off like "advertised" But I did feel really good. And I continue to eat similarly... but I do have whole grain bread from time to time.... and my carbs are above 50g a day... And I eat peanut butter.
    But the lbs are not just disappearing.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I "tried" Primal... because you can have dairy. But I couldn't give up peanut butter. And though I followed it to the T on every other aspect for a month and a half. The weight did not fall off like "advertised" But I did feel really good. And I continue to eat similarly... but I do have whole grain bread from time to time.... and my carbs are above 50g a day... And I eat peanut butter.
    But the lbs are not just disappearing.

Are you staying under your caloric allotment?
  • toysbigkid
    Options
    I will research a bit more into the paleo/primal dieting If.a caveman can do it I can do it too. LOL
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Because it's your argument, start a thread that asks mfp'ers how many of them are eating their alloted caloric amount, and are training, yet are still struggling to lose weight.

ME!!!
    I follow but struggle to lose!!
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

The USDA Recommendations for daily carbohydrate consumption is 130 grams. That is not within this range and doesn't seem irresponsible to me. I am not doing "paleo". I target 100 grams of carbs a day but go over that by 20 to 40 some days. I have had zero problem losing weight and meeting my nutritional and health goals. I think Paleo is fine for those that want to do it and it works for but some of the claims used to support it don't make a lot of sense. Also very unconvinced that biological anthropologists would agree with the basic premise. But it obviously works for may and improves the over all health of many, so it seems like a viable option (among many option).

As an aside, the self diagnosing usually have a fool for a patient. Simply deciding that you are "grain intolerant" based in a self-biased group of otherwise unrelated anecdotes is probably not the way to go. If you believe strongly that you feel better if your don't eat "X" then it's a good idea not to eat "X", but that does not make you "X" intolerant.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    So basically you don't understand.....thanks for proving my point.

That wasn't nice. Did the person you are quoting make a personal attack on you or did you just feel the need to be rude because someone doesn't agree with you?

Yes she did. Read up. I don't care if someone disagrees with me hello its an open forum unlike some people on here.

HAHAHA. I responded to your comment that people who don't follow it, don't understand it ("But I guess people just love to not pick something they don't understand. ") Not everyone is the same. Don't assume just because someone chooses not to follow that it's because they're ignorant. And I didn't even say anything about *you* specifically (which is required to make a "personal" attack). I said that I do understand it and it's still not for me ("I understand it just fine, thanks. Still not for me."). What a horrible vicious *personal* attack.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    unsubscribe
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Wow, there's been so much arguing sense this morning. I'm really curious how many people who follow Paleo had previous issues with grains? A lot of people I know who follow it (or use it as a blue print) had history with wheat and gluten intolerance. I think this is why I'm not as anti-cutting out grains as some people because a few minutes after I eat bread or similar I get terrible cramps/gas/everything. So obviously for me and other people like me, cutting out that group wouldn't be a big deal because we would anyway.

I find that when I ate a lot of grains, it was much easier for me to eat way too much (an entire plate of pasta, club sandwiches, etc.) than now that I tend to avoid them.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    religion, politics

& diets
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Curiously I'm still losing despite being well into the danger zone. And at a single digit BF%.

Seriously. I spend my live in or near the danger zone and I've lost 75 pounds so far.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that paleolithic man was not healthier than we are. Paleolithic man was elderly at 20 and virtually all were dead before age 25.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that paleolithic man was not healthier than we are. Paleolithic man was elderly at 20 and virtually all were dead before age 25.

*facepalm*

*headdesk*

Do you understand the concept of "life expectancy"?

Never mind...I just don't care enough to even want to try.

People are wrong on the internet...and I'm not going to do anything about it.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I personally think the paleo diet is a bit outdated. Even the word "paleo" means old. Many have moved on to the neolithic diet, which is based on cutting-edge science (you can even eat candy).

I mean if you want to go old school, why not just do the Jurassic Diet? Dinosaurs lived far longer than us. If you go Jurassic, you can only eat reptiles - but most bird species are allowed because they evolved from dinosaurs. Amphibians are NOT allowed. If its got gills it isn't Jurassic.

I tried it and it worked for me but I don't think it's practical long term unless you live near a rainforest or something.
    So far, everyone from the Jurassic Diet has seen great results. Oh yeah but everyone is different so just do what works for you.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Wow, there's been so much arguing sense this morning. I'm really curious how many people who follow Paleo had previous issues with grains? A lot of people I know who follow it (or use it as a blue print) had history with wheat and gluten intolerance. I think this is why I'm not as anti-cutting out grains as some people because a few minutes after I eat bread or similar I get terrible cramps/gas/everything. So obviously for me and other people like me, cutting out that group wouldn't be a big deal because we would anyway.

I find that when I ate a lot of grains, it was much easier for me to eat way too much (an entire plate of pasta, club sandwiches, etc.) than now that I tend to avoid them.

I initially cut out grains for other reasons...not paleo and not sure about allergies or intolerance to grain but I decided to try it. I am really liking the results of no grains. I feel better, have more energy and sleep better. Is it backed up by science? WHo cares...I like it.

I still eat dairy and my carbs are usually around 100...some days higher some lower but that seems to be a number I average. I dont know if I will cut dairy or not...maybe as a trial after I give the no grains a bit more time.

For the haters and debaters, guesss what? you don't have to do it. And the argument that cutting out a whole food group is nonsense...so what...grain isn't even a legitimate food "group". Take your hate down the road.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I really don't know how civilization progressed without peer reviewed research papers. It's a miracle, really.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I initially cut out grains for other reasons...not paleo and not sure about allergies or intolerance to grain but I decided to try it. I am really liking the results of no grains. I feel better, have more energy and sleep better. Is it backed up by science? WHo cares...I like it.

I still eat dairy and my carbs are usually around 100...some days higher some lower but that seems to be a number I average. I dont know if I will cut dairy or not...maybe as a trial after I give the no grains a bit more time.

For the haters and debaters, guesss what? you don't have to do it. And the argument that cutting out a whole food group is nonsense...so what...grain isn't even a legitimate food "group". Take your hate down the road.

Enlighten us, what makes a food group either legitimate or illegitimate?
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL:laugh: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!