Paleo - Pros/Cons

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    20659123.jpg

(Disclaimer: I'm assuming you're the guy in your avatar - and yes I understand I may be looking into this too much - I don't know what it is about these discussions that suck me in. )

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that you've never been fat. You're more likely one of those guys that has a harder time putting on weight than losing it. Of course you'd think dropping grains is ridiculous because you've never had to deal with needing to lose weight (though weight loss isn't necessarily the only reason people drop grains).

Soooo much of body composition is genetics. How our body reacts to carbs, how our appetite plays a part in our eating, etc, so much of it comes down to genetics.

So then when people who have had problems with weight loss go out and find something that works for them that may seem extreme to you, people like you belittle them because they don't have a body like yours and you think it's ridiculous for them to go to that extreme to try and feel better about themselves. You think that because you were able to get your body the way it is while eating grains, anyone could.

It doesn't work like that (unfortunately for me). I don't have a six pack (yet at least), but I can assure you that nothing's brought me closer to it than going 'Primal'.

Good then you'd lose a lot of money since i've been pretty f'n fat before. Hope you don't use your intuition to bet on other things or you'd be broke pretty quickly
  • SuperCork
    SuperCork Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Why are the anti-paleo people so against it, I'm curious? No ones saying you have to eat this way too.

Exactly. There are pros and cons to every single eating philosophy and studies to back them up...do what's right for you, as opposed to worrying about BEING right period. That's not realistic.

Topics riding off the rails like this are exactly why I generally avoid the forums--why do I fall for it?

Cognitive dissonance?

:tongue:
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Good then you'd lose a lot of money since i've been pretty f'n fat before. Hope you don't use your intuition to bet on other things or you'd be broke pretty quickly

I never said I couldn't be wrong.

I still think that'd be the right bet to make considering how many people I know who have abs like that, have been fat before, and who like grains so much they find it appalling that people would give them up (pretty much no one I've ever personally met).

Curious...what do you consider fat?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I never said I couldn't be wrong.

I still think that'd be the right bet to make considering how many people I know who have abs like that, have been fat before, and who like grains so much they find it appalling that people would give them up (pretty much no one I've ever personally met).

Curious...what do you consider fat?

the fat before pic I have in my profile is 45-50 lighter then my heaviest
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    the fat before pic I have in my profile is 45-50 lighter then my heaviest

Well congrats - looks like I was wrong on that one then (and great work on your transformation - even from those before pics. I didn't mean to insinuate that a body like that is easy for anyone to get, regardless of body type or metabolism.).

I still stick by my comment that it really does depend on the person. I did the Eat Clean diet for a year and a half before Primal with calorie counting. I lost some weight, but was always hungry and maintenance was difficult (my wife did it also and she pretty much couldn't lose until she dropped her carbs).

With Primal, when I follow it strictly, I lose weight really easily, and even when I cheat here and there, I can maintain my weight loss and I love it. It's changed me and when I see people going through the same struggles I've gone through, I want to help them out by telling them about what works for me and for others that I know who've made the switch.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    internettoughguys.jpg
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    Since this thread has already been completely derailed, can someone tell me where you get all those funny pictures you upload? I see stuff like that all the time. Where do you find them?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Since this thread has already been completely derailed, can someone tell me where you get all those funny pictures you upload? I see stuff like that all the time. Where do you find them?

I could be wrong, but I believe you can find them on the internet.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

I could be wrong, but I believe you can find them on the internet.

quote]
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I personally think the paleo diet is a bit outdated. Even the word "paleo" means old. Many have moved on to the neolithic diet, which is based on cutting-edge science (you can even eat candy).

I mean if you want to go old school, why not just do the Jurassic Diet? Dinosaurs lived far longer than us. If you go Jurassic, you can only eat reptiles - but most bird species are allowed because they evolved from dinosaurs. Amphibians are NOT allowed. If its got gills it isn't Jurassic.

I tried it and it worked for me but I don't think it's practical long term unless you live near a rainforest or something.
    So far, everyone from the Jurassic Diet has seen great results. Oh yeah but everyone is different so just do what works for you.

What if it only has gills in one of the stages of its life cycle? I'm really interested in this diet and will pay you a lot if you tutor me and help me. Also, could I eat a Pokemon if it was reptile-ish. Specifically, I'm interested in ekans.

Thanks for the help!
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Ummmm.......are they really funny?:huh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I have issues with acid reflux, therefore I would be concerned about giving up bread or crackers.

Huh? Dropping bread and crackers and grain in general eliminated my AR to the point I was able to stop medication for it.
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have issues with acid reflux, therefore I would be concerned about giving up bread or crackers.

Huh? Dropping bread and crackers and grain in general eliminated my AR to the point I was able to stop medication for it.

Me too - it was the best thing I ever did - no more pain!
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Grains on their own don't even taste good. its pretty much just filler food. If you don't need any fillers, how is that a con? Oatmeal for example, who actually enjoys a bowl of plain oatmeal? I personally stopped eating oatmeal simply because its gross without some type of sugar.

Me. Hell, I'll even grab a handful of oats and eat them raw.

You must definitely be in the minority then. I don't know many people who could toss some dry oats in their mouth and start munching away.

In the form of granola though....

Mmmmmmm.

I made granola a few weeks ago with coconut oil. PALEO PARADOX.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You don't think it's possible for Wikipedia to be wrong? I really hope you are not a student citing from Wikipedia...

Never mind that it matches every thing else I've read about the Paleo diet, including on this forum. I could have pulled something like that off of any of a hundred different blogs, websites and posts about Paleo. But you go ahead and be all snarky and insulting if it makes you feel better.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You don't think it's possible for Wikipedia to be wrong? I really hope you are not a student citing from Wikipedia...

Never mind that it matches every thing else I've read about the Paleo diet, including on this forum. I could have pulled something like that off of any of a hundred different blogs, websites and posts about Paleo. But you go ahead and be all snarky and insulting if it makes you feel better.

Of course it's wrong.

I read that whole article and there wasn't a single mention of tequila.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I personally think the paleo diet is a bit outdated. Even the word "paleo" means old. Many have moved on to the neolithic diet, which is based on cutting-edge science (you can even eat candy).

I mean if you want to go old school, why not just do the Jurassic Diet? Dinosaurs lived far longer than us. If you go Jurassic, you can only eat reptiles - but most bird species are allowed because they evolved from dinosaurs. Amphibians are NOT allowed. If its got gills it isn't Jurassic.

I tried it and it worked for me but I don't think it's practical long term unless you live near a rainforest or something.
    So far, everyone from the Jurassic Diet has seen great results. Oh yeah but everyone is different so just do what works for you.

What if it only has gills in one of the stages of its life cycle? I'm really interested in this diet and will pay you a lot if you tutor me and help me. Also, could I eat a Pokemon if it was reptile-ish. Specifically, I'm interested in ekans.

Thanks for the help!
    As long as it's not in the gill cycle, it's Jurassic. Yes, most reptile pokemon are allowed. Good luck trying to eat an Onix or Metapod though.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Cons?
    no rice,
    no quinoa
    no spelt
    no legumes (beans) (in most definitions of paleo)

no wine....
    no booze....

This may be why it works pretty easily for me. I never ate any of these things, even before I was paleo. For me, honestly, the most difficult "con" is convenience. It takes more time to prepare your own fresh food. And roadtrips with quick food (fast food) stops are difficult when you're the only paleo-ist (paleo-er? paleo-ey?) in the car. That's the only con for me, the convenience of being able to eat what there is where I'm at, be that a restaurant, a potluck, etc. Paleo takes more planning and commitment.

The pros? Not getting sick anymore (in my experience.) Feeling great. Sleeping great. Getting to eat steak whenever I want. BACON. Trying things I always swore I "hated" and realized I LOVE (guacamole!) IBS = GONE, allergies = GONE, Rosacea = GONE, no blood sugar swings (I used to "feel so hungry I felt like I would vomit" -- my way of describing plummeting blood sugar), getting my life back again (re: being to travel without fear of not having a bathroom nearby (IBS again), fitting into normal (not plus size) clothes, energy.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

Do a google image search for "funny memes".