Women Ages 50+ for the month of AUGUST

Options

Replies

• Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Hi again

I was filtering through my email and this caught my eye. Its from healthy living and although I've just given it a quick skim, it seem a good read so I thought I'd share

Its about is faulty thinking sabotaging our weight loss

•"I must be thin." This creates desperation, which undermines a healthy long-range approach to sensible eating. Also, perfectionism pervades this thinking (I must not only be thin, but also perfect).
    •"I must eat until sated." Early humans lived in an environment in which food resources were scarce. While our ancestors had to hunt down squirrels and eat them, we can supersize a Whopper meal and skip the workout.
    •"I need immediate results." The demand for immediate improvement undermines commitment to a long-term goal. Quick fixes are hard to pass up: "This cupcake will make me feel good right now." We think, why bother eating healthfully, when the reward is far off? Dieting requires present-moment frustration and self-denial with little immediate reward.
    •"I need comfort." People eat to avoid feelings of loneliness, depression and anxiety. Fatty and sugary food provides immediate comfort and distraction from other issues. Resolving some of these problems may help you overcome poor eating habits.
    •"I feel awful." "It's terrible being heavy." For some, being overweight is the worst thing imaginable; it can immobilize you and leave you dumbstruck. That's a reaction more suited to tragedy. Weight loss is best achieved without that end-of-the-world outlook.
    •"It's intolerable to stick to a diet." "It's just too hard to diet." This thinking renders you helpless. People who are easily frustrated want easy solutions. We're seduced by fad diets because they appeal to that immediacy. Yet people who rely on fads suffer high failure rates. When you diet with the short term in mind, you don't learn strategies that require patience and persistence.
    •"I am no good." "Because I am having trouble in this one area I am worthless." Being overweight can be viewed as a sign of weakness or worthlessness, and most people aren't motivated when they feel that way. Another form of worthlessness: "My worth is dependent on my looks." This idea confuses beauty with thinness, a concept played out endlessly in the media.

Kind of long - sorry

Have a good weekend
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Hi Everybody,

:flowerforyou: Barb, that is great news about your blood pressure. Anything that will help you cut back on meds is great. You're right to offer your help to your doctor. Doctors are so frustrated by us and don't know what to do to help us lose weight. We who have been successful can be useful to them.

:flowerforyou: Mary, whatever it costs for the 62,000 gallons of water will be less than what it would have cost if the water had filled your house. A visit from the plumber is always $$$$$cary.

:flowerforyou: Heather MMB, thanks for the reminder about exercise. You're so right that just getting started is important, that you don't have to go miles to help yourself. My two dogs need to be walked first thing in the morning every day (they know no holidays). When I take them to the fenced dog park, I walk while they run. It amazes me how many people stand or sit on benches under the trees and tell their dogs to run.

:flowerforyou: Heather, I've told you before how much I admire your patience and good humor in having teen agers in your home. :laugh: :laugh: This is another wonderful opportunity for spiritual growth. If there's any beat to your son's music, you could dance as a coping mechanism instead of eating. I liked your long quote---it was right on the money

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, I wish you and your daughter best wishes in her journey to better days for her hip. There are so many wonderful medical techniques available nowadays. You can walk through this without eating so when she is back walking the way she should, you will be thin to enjoy it with her.

:flowerforyou: SuzyQ, just keep on keeping on and you'll be back on track before long.

:flowerforyou: Mary, after being lazy for years, I got back on my treadmill by promising that I'd start with 5 minutes. I kept doing better and now when I walk outdoors, I walk for more than an hour.

:flowerforyou: 4everhealthy, keep up the good work. You can do it.

:flowerforyou: Becky, we had a great cat named "Trouble" who was our son's cat until he left home and she lived with us until the end of her life. Put down the junk food, drink some water,:drinker: :drinker: and take a walk.

:flowerforyou: Vicki, I hope you're having a great day.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Today marks seven months since I started this weight loss journey so I weighed myself this morning and am happy to report the loss of another pound so now it's a total of 50 pounds. I had a great morning teaching my dance at line dance and now I'm off to the dog park.
    hugs to all:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Just heading home for the weekend

I popped in to add my food consumption and had to check the thread - of course

Barbiecat 50 pounds is so great You are how I want to be - so disciplined - and HAPPY!!
    Big congrats to you:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Have a good weekend all

Heather
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    One of the docs said that the best thing you can do for yourself is buy a dog or find a dog to walk every day - I guess they are our best friends! I have 4 cats and they just won't walk with me - around me, through my feet, on my feet but no brisk walk :laugh:

Had to laugh when I read this as my kitty Violet insists on following along when Muffin and I walk in the evenings. The only way I can keep her from it is to put her in the house when we go. Maybe she thinks she is part dog....

I've been craving junk all day. :grumble: What sounds good is a candy bar and a dr pepper. :noway: I don't have any in the house, but went walking this morning to avoid overdoing it on fruit. I just ate a handful of almonds and now I'm about to drink some more water and go for another walk or something. ANYTHING to get away from food! Haven't figured out yet what triggered the cravings, but I'm determined NOT to give in to it.
  • 4everhealthy
    Options
    Hello, had a good day again today, walk 30 min and in my calorie range. the weekend is here so that's always a challenge in itself. I will make it. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: drank my water also
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

we have a stroke prevention program here - actually all through Ontario and the docs ALL say that 20 minutes a day is enough to prevent stroke and heart attack AND it doesn't have to be 20 hard, horrid minutes - just a brisk walk. One of the docs said that the best thing you can do for yourself is buy a dog or find a dog to walk every day - I guess they are our best friends! I have 4 cats and they just won't walk with me - around me, through my feet, on my feet but no brisk walk :laugh:

Have a great weekend everyone!! :bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Gayla,

Here are instructions to take cat for a "walk":

1. Go to fish market and buy salmon or trout.

2. Tie fishy to one end of a string about 2-3 feet long, depending on your height.

3. Tie other end of string to a stick or pole 2 - 3 feet long.

4. Introduce cat to fish.

5. Now that you have cat's attention, pick up your pole or stick, and go outside.

6. Walk holding pole so it sticks out ahead of you and fish is just far enough off ground that can't can't reach it. Cat should take great interest and walk ahead of you.

7. If cat snares fish, end walk, go home get wallet and go get another fish and start at step 2.

NOTE: If you pick up several other cats along the way that start to follow you, this is an added "bonus" as now you have additional walking companions.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself-guys :bigsmile:

Mary,

I am so sorry to hear of your plumbing woes. Your story reminded me of what happened to my parents. Shortly after my dad installed an auxiliary water heater under the kitchen sink, (to decrease amount of time water had to run to get warm as the house was large and hot water tank was a long way from the kitchen) my parents made an overnight trip to visit relatives. When they returned the next day, water was running out of their garage door into the drain in the driveway.

The house was a two story and the kitchen was upstairs. "MESS" doesn't even begin to describe what they found. The water line to the new mini tank had come off or broke under the sink. Water had time to run throughout the dining room and living room before seeping through the ceiling into the finished basement.:grumble: By the time they arrived, half the plaster on the basement ceiling had fallen, and when they went upstairs, walking on the carpeted floor was like walking in a marsh!!:noway:

They did get new carpet throughout the house, and everything was repaired in the basement--thank goodness for homeowners insurance.:drinker:

If you want to get an idea of how much that 62,000 gallons of water will set you back, call the billing department of your water district/bureau and ask them. That way you can plan for the bill and if it is a whopper, maybe they can make some payment arrangements if that will make it easier for your.

Barbiecat-- CONGRATULATIONS!! for your MFP anniversary AND "50 pesky pounds gone forever!!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

I got a kick out of your scotch story, too.

I was planning on keeping some of Dreyfus's ashes, placing some at the beach and some in my backyard, as he liked to be there also. I just can't bring myself to do any of these things yet though.:cry:

SuzyQ- Don't give up the ship. Just jump back on deck and keep steering the boat. Seriously, if I had a craving for Dr Pepper and a candy bar, I would try a diet Dr Pepper, and a snack size of my favorite "Almond Joy" The mini bars have less than 100 calories.

I know there are those who believe total abstinence from such things is best, but this is a lifestyle change for me, not a prison sentence, and one of the reasons I don't have trouble staying on my program is that if I really want something, I find a way to have it without bankrupting the caloric bank!!

To everyone I haven't mentioned, wishing you well and a good weekend.

Mine is starting off with temptation. My dad, who never wants to eat out, told my mother today that he wants to go to our favorite seafood restaurant tonight for dinner, so we are off to McGrath's. Since my dad also informed me, he wanted me to call my neighbor,--the one who convinced me to try to shorten my life by taking that bike ride back on Memorial Day:laugh: --I have reached him so we will both be going to dinner. Fortunately, fish can be prepared without breading and sauces, so I should do OK.

My BIG problem is that this place has the BEST key lime pie, so I may have to split one w/my mom, since it is one of her favorites as well.

Til later,

Barb
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    My son in law was paying his city bill this morning, and asked water rates. I was relieved to hear it may only run $130. The plumbing just finally got fixed an hour ago - no bill for that yet.
    In the meantime, I took my grandsons to the circus at the National Guard Armory. While I was watching the circus, the sargeant who was working came in to tell me that he was careless while mowing, and managed to break out a window in my Durango. Sure enough, it is shattered, and there is currently a 70% chance of thunderstorms. Can I go to bed yet??
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Mary-I am so sorry you are having such a rough week. At least the window should be covered by insurance or at least a claim with the National Guard.

Take a deep breath, get a good night's sleep and tomorrow will be a better day.

All cat owners- I, too, had a cat that walked with my dogs and I. She heeled off lease better than any of my dogs. I was careful where I went when she managed to get out and come with us. At the time I had 3 German Shepherds and a Springer/Beagle mix. Una Kitty walked right in between 2 of the shepherds.

Jeannie
  • msh0530
    Options
    I have a standard sized poodle that I walk, and my two cats walk behind or across the street and try to look like they aren't with us!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello again,

I survived dinner, yummy red snapper topped with shrimp, green beans, 1/2 of my baked potato, salad, a mushroom appetizer, and a portion of an ice cream dessert with strawberries and a lemon cookie underneath. So I did avoid the key lime pie after all.:flowerforyou: :drinker: I did indulge myself in a martini, also. Since I did some walking today, the damage was not too bad. For the week, I am still "under" on total calories for the week.

Tomorrow will be lots of walking around our county fair. I am not a fan of deep fried whatever, so I should have no difficulty avoiding most of the of the food. The Dairy Women's milkshake booth, however, could prove to be a challenge!:laugh:

Speaking of cats, which we have been, reminded me of the double takes I caused when I was about 11, the year we went on vacation with my Siamese cat. She came with us on the ferry between Port Angeles, WA and Victoria, BC (Canada). She would walk on a leash and wore a harness, rather than a collar. :noway:

She apparently didn't like the feeling of the throbbing engines vibrating through the deck of the ferry, and whenever we stopped walking, she would start yowling, so I "walked" across the ocean from Port Angeles to Victoria. :laugh: Fortunately it is not a long trip. We had plenty of people wanting to ask questions and take pictures. Samantha (the cat's name) took it all in with a shrug. She was fascinated by the smell of the salt air as I recall--maybe it smelled fishy??:laugh:

Well, even though I managed a 4 hour nap after my morning shift, it is time to crash.

G'bye for now.

Barb
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    SuzyQ- Don't give up the ship. Just jump back on deck and keep steering the boat. Seriously, if I had a craving for Dr Pepper and a candy bar, I would try a diet Dr Pepper, and a snack size of my favorite "Almond Joy" The mini bars have less than 100 calories.

:grumble: I never managed to kick the craving yesterday, but ate fruit and nuts instead. I went over my 1200 calories a day but stayed under my BMR, just barely. My first mistake was eating a rice krispie treat the night before. If I had realized the effect it would have, I would have never taken the first bite.:angry:

I drink a diet Dr Pepper about once or twice a month when we eat pizza. But when it comes to candy bars, or any kind of sweets ~ I am like an alcoholic. One serving is never enough! I couldn't eat only one snack size candy bar, because to get one, I'd need to buy a whole bag. For some reason eating simple carbs awakens cravings for even more. I've been known to eat an entire box of swiss cake rolls, bag of candy or plate of cookies at one setting. So, I have learned to just not go there and could kick myself for eating that treat the other night. I KNEW better.

JEANNIE was telling me at lunch the other day things you can eat (that are better for you) to satisfy cravings. For example when you are craving ice cream, eat yogurt. Maybe she can share the exchange with us here for future reference. :flowerforyou: How about it Jeannie?

Somehow in the midst of all that I lost another pound. (Guess monitoring my sodium intake is paying off...)

Tonight is date night so its time to do some power walking so I'll have enough extra calories to enjoy a nice meal with my sweetie. Then we're going to see the play "Driving Miss Daisy." Have a great weekend ladies and don't forget to drink all your water. :drinker:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: My daughter's cat will take walked with the dog and me. He won't go further then one block, though.

I am having a depressing day. Family problems. I don't feel like exercising but I also do not feel like eating much.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I was telling Susan at lunch that when I was in my 20s I was actually a patient of a weight loss clinic in upstate New York. I was a private patient and not part of one of the doctor's groups as I was not obese enough at the time and he felt I would not be welcome in the group meetings.

I weighed 150 when I started and got down to 125 which I stay at or about (never going over 130) for all of my adult life until.......................I had kids. <-I'm sure that relates to many of us. It took me 1.5 years to loose the 25 pounds, but it stayed off.

Everything you crave has a substitute. My cravings were and still are ice cream and chocolate chip cookies. The substitutes are yogurt and vanilla wavers. This still works

While we had a daily goal for calorie, we actually counted calories by the week. You absolutely could not go over your calories per week or you'd hear about it.

I was taught not to give up anything, but to fit it into my week. My cousin went on the diet with me as my diet partner. She could not go to the doctor every week for counselling and check in, but it still worked for her too.

So I am back on that diet plan I used oh so many years ago. I've tried and failed many others since. I will try to find the booklet he gave me. While a lot may be outdated in some ways, I am sure the plan itself is still valid.

I am more than willing to share the plan with anyone interested.

Happy Saturday all!

Jeannie
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Good morning,
    Somehow even though my exercise minutes have dropped DRASTICALLY, I've managed not to regain any weight since school started. Thank goodness! I am going to try to exercise more on weekends so that I won't lose the fitness that I was just beginning to regain.
    So....we have a bunch of cat lovers. Our small outside cat is light orange, so we named her KitKat!
    Bonnie
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Jeanie, thanks for the reminder that there are always substitutes. I also lost a lot of weight on a particular diet. I used a diabetic diet. This time I am just watching my calories, eating less carbs and more low fat proteins. It seems to be working. I got stuck for a while but then I upped my calories and began to lose.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Can someone tell me how to get a picture posted here? I have it in my computer. My daughters can't help me.
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies:smile: I have been really busy and have missed checking out the posts. Hope all is well. When I crave ice cream I eat Weight Watchers, (they have some really yummy flavors) and I buy the 100 calorie fudge grahams for my chocolate and cookie cravings. I tried the Leslie Sansone 4 mile walk that I got from NetFlix and it was awesome, guess I have to buy it . Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Drink:drinker: drink:drinker: drink:drinker: drink that water. Rosemary
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday evening to all, :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    We had a pretty emotional day yesterday. :brokenheart: :sad: It was the memorial/celebration of life for the wonderful girl who was our dog groomer and sitter. Most of the program was planned by her sisters (ages 15 and 17) including a song that they wrote and performed together and a 20 minute slide show with music of photos of their sister through her life. It was emotional to say the least.

Following the program there was a potluck. We ate before we went thinking there would be nothing there that we could eat----we were right----pizza, lasagna, rigatoni, sweet nut breads, and huge sheet cakes were the bulk of the buffet. I made a huge salad with spinach, romaine, peppers, cucumber, and sweet onion. Since I had about 400 exercise calories, I ate two plates of salad with some cherry tomatoes that were garnish on a plate of sandwiches and did well ignoring everything else.

One of the things that has served me well in this weight loss journey has been trying to be open minded to new ideas. No matter how many times I’ve tried any system of adding sweets to what I eat, it never works. I know how to eat no sweets and I know how to eat the whole cake but moderation doesn’t work. Thus I’ve continued to say no to birthday cake and fill myself with meat, veggies, fruit, and cereal and continue with the path that has worked for me. I think the most important thing about a food plan is to find one that you can stick with over time. The endurance of the plan is more significant than the substance of the plan.

:flowerforyou: Mary----I walk my Standard Poodles on the hill in the morning and the cats come up and tease them. What color is your poodle and what is her/his name?

:flowerforyou: Becky, I hope things are looking up for you. Try to drink water and stay a little bit active. I don’t know how to post a picture on a message on a thread only how to add one to your profile. Which one are you trying to do?

This was our first morning in ages that we didn’t have some place to go so we were able to go for an 80 minute walk on the trail. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: We found out that it goes through the campground at the state park where there are restrooms. Having a pit stop along the way means we can walk even farther next time. My walks are shortened more by the need to find a rest room than by fatigue or dehydration. :laugh: :laugh: Later we took the dogs to the dog park and now we’re taking turns on the exercise bike.
    Happy weekend, :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Barbie
    :bigsmile:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Can someone tell me how to get a picture posted here? I have it in my computer. My daughters can't help me.
    If you want to post it as part of this thread you first upload it to a photo hosting site or here under your photos, then you copy the url and paste it into your reply placing this url code before and after: [img][/img]
  • msh0530
    Options

:flowerforyou: Mary----I walk my Standard Poodles on the hill in the morning and the cats come up and tease them. What color is your poodle and what is her/his name?

Barbie
    :bigsmile:

My baby is two years old, she is black, and her name is Suzie Q. (Sorry, Suzy Q!) She is getting ready to go to bed now, so I should follow. Good night!