Women Ages 50+ for the month of AUGUST

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I went to the doctor today to make sure that whatever I had wasn't the beginning of pneumonia and it wasnt':bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: The best part of the visit was finding out that the doctor's scale agreed with my scale at home.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: and my blood pressure was good.:bigsmile: I have an inhaler and some other stuff but no directions to stay home or in bed :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Becky---a very good friend told me that I'd know, that my body would tell me when I reached the right weight so I'm sharing that with you. I chose my goal from the middle of the healthy weight range on the MFP body mass index tool. I don't know if it's the right goal but I'll stick with it until I know different.

:flowerforyou: Rosemary, I'm glad your mini vacation turned out good. Your snow ball sounds yummy.

:flowerforyou: SuzyQ---I'm glad things are looking up for Ken. I will continue to think positive thoughts for him and his family

:flowerforyou: Marie----you are so busy and productive:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: 4everhealthy---It's good to see you back on the boards. Today is a new beginning.

:flowerforyou: Bonnie, glad to see you back on track.

I did set a new low on my step counter yesterday---3712 steps but I enjoyed the day of rest.

Today my big meal was so low in calories ( a small piece of salmon, salad., and zucchini) that I was able to have peanut butter on my apple---yum,yum:bigsmile:

Let's make tomorrow a healthy day:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    hugs,:heart::heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone:smile: well I got on the scale :sad: and I looked up my infamous snowball:noway: (you don't even want to know how many calories that was):noway: and I don't know if it's the snowball, all the watermelon I have been eating, constipation ( which I don't understand considering all the exercising, water I've been drinking, and watermelon I've been eating), or muscle, (I started using weights to tighten up the flab on my arms) but that nasty scale said 191:grumble: That is a gain of 3 lbs. since last week. Guess those 3 lbs weren't LOST they were just on vacation:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Well GOOD thing I only eat one of those snowball every 5 years:laugh:
    Back on the wagon for me...Everyone have a wonderful, cool Tuesday:wink: Love,:heart: Hugs:smooched: and drink:drinker: drink:drinker: drink:drinker: that water Rosemary
  • HeatherMMB
    Options
    Hi Everyone! :happy:

I am just stopping by for a moment to share that I am now in the double digits - 10 pounds released to the wild! WOOHOO :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

thanks for the reminders to drink water - sitting in my cool office I often forget - we hit a new record yesterday - 41+ celcius - which is over 100 F. YIKES - now I have a better appreciation for those of you that have been having a heat wave all summer - thank you God for air conditioning!

Have a great week everyone! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

H
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Good Morning al.

I have gained some weight. Trying to steady it. Going to the gym for the first time in a few weeks. It is such a struggle for me to not eat during summer months.

Hope all is well.

:heart: Kathy
  • HeatherMMB
    Options
    I thought this was a good story! :happy:

MERMAID OR WHALE

Recently, in a large French city, a poster featuring a young, thin and tan woman appeared in the window of a gym. It said: ¨THIS SUMMER DO YOU WANT TO BE A MERMAID
    OR A WHALE? ¨ A middle aged woman, whose physical characteristics did not match those
    of the woman on the poster, responded publicly to the question posed by the gym.

To Whom It May Concern:

Whales are always surrounded by friends (dolphins, sea lions, curious humans)... They have an active sex life; they get pregnant and have adorable baby whales. They have a wonderful time with dolphins stuffing themselves with shrimp. They play and swim in the seas, seeing wonderful places like Patagonia, the Barren Sea and the coral reefs of Polynesia . Whales are wonderful singers and have even recorded CDs. They are incredible creatures and virtually have no predators other than humans. They are loved, protected and admired by almost everyone in the world.

Mermaids don't exist. If they did exist, they would be lining up outside the offices of Argentinean psychoanalysts due to identity crisis. Fish or human? They don't have a sex life because they kill men who get close to them not to mention how could they have sex? Therefore they don't have kids either. Not to mention who wants to get close to a girl who smells like a fish store?

The choice is perfectly clear to me; I want to be a whale.

P.S. We are in an age when media puts into our heads the idea that only skinny people are beautiful, but I prefer to enjoy an ice cream with my kids, a good dinner with a man who makes me shiver and a piece of chocolate with my friends. With time we gain weight because we accumulate so much information and wisdom in our heads that when there is no more room it distributes out to the rest of our bodies. So we aren't heavy, we are enormously cultured, educated and happy. Beginning today, when I look at my butt in the mirror I will think, ¨Good gosh, look how smart I am...¨ :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

• Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning Girls

Kathy - How great to see your name again! Hang in there you will do it.

To the other Heather - Congrats on your double digit progress!!!

For me, I have completely dropped the ball. I am disappointed that despite all I know, I still turned to food in times of trouble.

I am still thinking about being healthy so I guess all is not lost, I have not and WILL NOT give up.

Saturday was a bad day in my home. We had to put our dear kitty cat down. Elvis was almost 17, and was born in my bedroom. I loved him dearly, as did my husband and children. Eventhough we all knew it had to be done, that didn't lessen the pain of saying goodbye to our fur baby.:cry: He was a good boy.

I have, once again, decided to tackle one area at a time. This week I will focus on my water intake.
    Previously what has worked for me is to down 3 glasses of water while the coffee is brewing. I will start that again and drink 5 more glasses throughout my working day - 8a.m to 5:30 p.m. This way, any water I drink in the evening will be bonus. If I were to follow one of the guidelines I read about, I would be drinking 15 glasses of water per day (8 oz each) That seems extreme to me so I will try for a minimum of 8 glasses all week.:drinker: :drinker:

I got my Leslie Sansome Power Series dvd's today so I will try one after dinner tonight if I'm still awake:laugh:

Have a great day everyone

Heather
  • HeatherMMB
    Options
    Hi other Heather!
    I am so sorry to hear about your stuggles - and to have a cherised pet put down is very hard. :cry: Those fur faces just leave imprints on our hearts :heart: I have four of them - they all come from teh SPCA - I have two for along time - 15 years and 17 years and had to put them down within about 4 months of each other - it was very hard.
    Glad to hear though that you are getting back on track and going to focus on one thing :happy: - that's a great idea - one day at a time - you will get there!! :flowerforyou:

take good care!
    the other Heather - this reminds me of that Bob Newhart show with my brother Daryl and my other brother Daryl! :happy:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Nice to check in again. I am trying I really am.

:heart: Kathy
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Heather---I am so sorry about your cat. Our pets are our children and they have wrapped their little paws around our hearts. I've known the pain of losing an animal and send loving thoughts to you at this sad time. My cats, Bernie and Haifa send their love to you:heart::heart: :heart:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Kathy, I am so glad to hear from you again. I've missed you.

I have a friend coming over in a few minutes so I have to clear the mess off the table before she gets here:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hugs to all:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Kathy, it's good to see you on MFP again. We are all pals and do understand the things we all go through in relationship to food. The important thing is to keep focused forward. We all know our triggers and what helps us stay on track. We are here for you and are glad to hear from you!!! Keep on keeping on...:flowerforyou:
  • momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    :glasses: good afternoon to everyone i just pop in to say hi . and see how everyone is doing .. sorry about the cat. we have max and hes been with us for ten years now gram got him when lisa was born. they are so close. many prayers and our thoughts go out.. to everyone not being were we would like to be . one foot in front of thee other one secound at a time and don't forget to pat yourself on the shoulder you have done good. nad to everyone who sends all of us motivation thank you so much it means a lot when its not easy... ok :drinker: water break is over housework time. i just came back from a half hour walk :tongue: needed some water. sweating good here today ... ok love debbie and family
  • Lianne95519
    Lianne95519 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I haven't shared in a week or so and I miss my connection with you all. We had a very busy week-end and I usually do a cleanse day on Saturday but I was way to tired from a big event that I helped work on. This was many months in the planning and Sunday and Monday I was exhausted. I would of thought that my scale would of moved but Sunday night I did a little comfort eating (my husband had Ben and Jerry’s Karmel Sutra) that I am sure didn't help move me towards my goal. :angry: I also had migraines Sunday and Monday so I decided to just stick to my eating program and cleanse on my regular day next Saturday. I did get great news. :bigsmile: I am doing so well with my physical therapy that I can begin going to the gym for some limited biking and I can remove my brace after my last Post Op appointment September 1st.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: (I had knee surgery July 1) There is a light at the end of the operation and though my weight loss was slow I am so grateful to continue to help my knees with weight loss even through surgery. This group helped make that possible.

:heart: :brokenheart: :heart: Heather-I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. As Barbie says they are our children. They bring so much love and joy into our hearts. It was very brave and loving of you to be there in their time of need.
    :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: Barbie-That cold sounds awful. I am glad you went to the doctor and are taking such good care. Your guidance and positive spirit is a bright spot for us all.

:love: :love: I have read every post and so appreciate everyone’s contribution. I feel connected and encouraged by your stories and onward to another pound.
    Lianne
  • 4everhealthy
    Options
    Hello, Had a nice day stayed with in my calorie range, getting in my water also. How do I get my ticker on the bottom of my post! :smile:
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Good evening Ladies:smile: Well it is getting ready to thunderstorm after about 2 hours of the most magnificent heat lightening I have ever seen in my 54 years here on earth.:wink: Did good today stayed below my calories, drank:drinker: drank:drinker: drank:drinker: lots of water and did Leslie Sansone 3 mile.
    :flowerforyou: Heather, I was saddened by the news of your beloved cat. We had to have my German Shephard Cookie put to sleep last year. She was 13 and had lung cancer. She went from a happy energetic girl to a stumbling dishrag in a matter of days. We took her to the vet on a Saturday and was told she had "Hip Displasia". The vet gave us medicine for her and said to start exercising her in a few days to strengthen her hips. On Monday when we got home from work she was vomiting blood. We took her to the emergency vet and after a thorough exam including a chest xray we were told she had cancer. My husband gave Cookie to me for our 21 wedding anniversary when she was 6 weeks old. I still miss her, My heart goes out to you and your family.:flowerforyou:
    Good night ladies, stay well and safe. Rosemary
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: This has been another day of taking it easy---something I don’t do well. :laugh: :laugh: I resisted the sad dog eyes and didn’t go to the dog park. Instead of taking a walk, I took a nap. Jake played golf this morning and I had a friend over for tea and two hours of conversation. I did a couple of 10 minute rides on the exercise bike and my step counter got over 5,000. The worst part of no exercise is that I have to be extra careful about what I’m eating. Meanwhile, Jake, who played golf and has been walking more on the course, burned a zillion calories and has been snacking nonstop.:explode:

:flowerforyou: Lianne, I’m so happy to hear about your continued recovery from your knee surgery. You have been such a good sport about staying still and not walking your dogs and letting yourself heal. You are an inspiration.:bigsmile:

Thank you to all of you who take time out of your busy summer schedules to post and keep us all focused. None of us can do this alone:flowerforyou:

Time for more water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    hugs:heart::heart:
    Barbie
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning Ladies

Thanks to all of you who offered sympathy to myself and family about Elvis.

Well so much for exercising last night. I ended up doing a marathon grocery shop instead. By the time I got through dinner and got home with groceries and all that entails, it was 10 p.m. and I was already half asleep:yawn:

Tonight for sure!! I did go downstairs to do the elliptical this moring but darn hubby has it upside down in the corner:noway: I guess it was in his way??? Tonight I'll get him to put it upright and get at least 10 minutes on it. Although taking it easy has eased my specific injuries, my overall body feels gross and really stiff. I vow to get it moving again because the inactivity seems worse in the long run.

Food wise I was pretty good yesterday. My water intake was a couple glasses short so I will have to work harder at remembering that.

Summer has arrived with a blaze of heat and humidity. I won't complain because it won't last for long but it is forecasted to be 31 C today. Poor me my little office has no air conditioning - My little co-worker is here today and will be "sweatin with the oldie":laugh: :laugh:

Better get to work

Have a great day!

Heather
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    What a wonderful day. I weigh 189.4 this morning. That is total of 47 pounds. 3 pounds to go for my August goal. And I am in the 80's. I had to check the numbers several times this morning. All that hard work paid off. I still have to pinch myself every now and again. It has been so long since I have been this low in weight. I honestly cannot even remember when. Hope you all have a good day. Those of you with injuries and sickness I commend you for keeping up with you food intake and trying to exercise. Keep up the good work. Have to go now. Later.
    Vicki M.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Heather - I was so sorry to hear about loss of your beloved cat. Pets leave such an empty place in our hearts and lives when they pass on. Like so many I've also lost beloved animals. The worse was my beloved Arabian gelding, Sahara. Horse live so long. I had him 18 years of my live.

Vicki M- Congradulations! That is wonderful news. Good luck on the 3 pounds to meet your August goal. I'm sure your going to make it.

Have a great day everyone,

Jeannie
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    It was great to sleep in my own bed last night!

Being gone for 4 days means today will be a very busy day. Where DID all this dust come from!

I managed to stay within my eating plan while I was in NM. The only day I didn't get to exercise was the day I drove home. Just barely made it home in time to get to choir practice last night. Standing and singing made me forget I had fanny fatigue. :happy:

Got to meet Jeannie face to face yesterday for lunch at Boston Market in Albuquerque before heading home. The hour just flew by! We learned we had much more in common than trying to eat right. Turns out she has even been to this dusty little town I live in now. I learned some great tips and tricks from her I'll be using in the future ~ like averaging your weekly calories to get a better picture of your eating lifestyle. Thanx girlfriend! (Wish I could meet each and every one of you!)

Thinking of Ken today as he takes his next chemo treatment. He is such a trooper! You can tell he feels awful, but he just keeps on keeping on. Hope to go see him every 4 - 6 weeks before winter sets in.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Heather...so sorry about Elvis. I may be facing the same situation soon. My cat is 20 and has been getting slower. :brokenheart: