bump
  • Rach911
    Rach911 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump to be read in the am! Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thank-you. I was going to put something like that together, I just never got around to it.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is a great spreadsheet, easy to use and explained what to do along the way. Just what I needed, Thank you so much :smile:
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!!
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    Thanks for putting all the work into this.
    So as I understand, we shouldn't combine 2 different methods? For example, if I do use TDEE-15% (or whatever other percentage), I shouldn't log in and eat my exercise calories, because I already set my level of activity to Very Active?
    And if I do use an HRM and track my exercise calories and want to eat them back, I should use the MFP Tweak tab and set my activity level to Sedentary and track my exercise and eat my exercise calories back?
    What I was doing before: I set my net calories to TDEE-15% and I was tracking exercise and eating all the exercise calories back. So that was wrong?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for putting all the work into this.
    So as I understand, we shouldn't combine 2 different methods? For example, if I do use TDEE-15% (or whatever other percentage), I shouldn't log in and eat my exercise calories, because I already set my level of activity to Very Active?
    And if I do use an HRM and track my exercise calories and want to eat them back, I should use the MFP Tweak tab and set my activity level to Sedentary and track my exercise and eat my exercise calories back?
    What I was doing before: I set my net calories to TDEE-15% and I was tracking exercise and eating all the exercise calories back. So that was wrong?

Correct, can't combine MFP method and TDEE deficit method. Well, kinda can, if you select Sedentary and take 15% deficit off non-exercise TDEE basically. Then eat back exercise calories.

There is space in the spreadsheet to combine HRM and estimate of non-exercise activity level. Statement on the left says that actually. Just noticed on Excel conversion, the text is messed up for formating, but you can see where it asks for exercise calories.
    And while your exercise calorie burns may change slightly, there is still probably a decent avg you could put into the table to get a better TDEE estimate, if you do similar workouts each week.
    You'll get a bigger deficit that way. 15% off 1600, or 15% off 2000? Yep, better to include it and then deficit.

But if you do that, or the method of just selecting a level, you've already included exercise, and therefore don't eat it back.

If your workout is variable enough you only want to eat it back when done, then yes indeed the MFP tweak tab. I'd suggest setting to what is given after you enter your stats. Which probably won't be Sedentary.

Yes, that was wrong, and was probably causing you to eat at a surplus by math. In reality, the TDEE activity levels give very little calorie burn credit for the hours estimate, so you probably still had a deficit, just not as great since you ate them back.

That's why the TDEE Deficit method works so great, even without the 15% deficit, any exercise is actually creating a deficit anyway. I mean, who doesn't burn way more than 150 cal an hour in exercise!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your generosity in sharing this.
  • wannaberunner33
    wannaberunner33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    save for later
  • hncclark
    hncclark Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump! thank you, great info:smile:
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing!

I have downloaded and will check this out at home later.
  • xbabyblueyez21x
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this!
  • hazelgreen
    Options
    bump
  • Laika3
    Laika3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • siriusalien
    siriusalien Posts: 207
    Options
    This is so very cool. i appreciate the effort that went into this.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • anikisa
    anikisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi! Would someone be kind enough to explain to me what this is for ? I know is for weight control not that just about it thank u!
  • ell_jay
    ell_jay Posts: 68
    Options
    bump