Quinoa: Love it, like it, hate it, never tried it?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• TwtyMami35
    Options
    Omg!! LOOOOOVE it! Quinoa Sweet Potato Burger w/ sweet potato fries.
  • erinclain
    Options
    Love it, prepare it like rice and put a spicy tomato sauce on top
  • ceebs08
    Options
    I also cook it in water (you can put a little vanilla flavoring in if you want), then pour some warm milk and put either brown sugar, raw sugar, or syrup on it for breakfast.... It is super yummy.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Quinoa: Love it, like it, hate it, never tried it?

If you do like it/love it? How do you prepare it and with what?

side note, you look fabulous! your a gorgeous gall! mommy of 2 with that bod...wow!

i use my quino flour in baking recipes. not been brave to just try yet.

excuse my typing, i busted open index finger, and only got one hand to start with. so choppy sentences.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    The Better Burger - from Quinoa Revolution

This burger is better! A meatless meat-lover’s burger, this is a full-flavor burger with the perfect combination of toasted pecans, mushrooms, aged Cheddar, herbs and, of course, red Quinoa. These patties hold together well for freezing, making for a quick and easy meal.

Serves 8

Ingredients:

1 cup water

1/2 cup red Quinoa

1 Tbsp. grapeseed oil or vegetable oil

1 cup diced onions

2 cups finely chopped cremini or white button mushrooms

1 tsp minced garlic

3/4 tsp dried marjoram

1/4 tsp dried oregano

1 large egg

2/3 cup shredded reduced fat aged Cheddar cheese

1/2 cup toasted pecans finely chopped

1/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (gluten-free if required)

1 Tbsp. sodium-reduced soy sauce or tamari (gluten-free if required)

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment.

Combine the water and Quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.

Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for another 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion starts to become soft and transparent. Add the mushrooms, garlic, marjoram and oregano; cook for another 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender. Set aside to cool.

In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Add the Quinoa, mushroom mixture, cheese, toasted pecans, oats and soy sauce.

Scoop 1/2 cup portions of the mixture onto the baking sheet and shape into 8 or 9 patties 1 inch thick, leaving 1 inch between them.

Bake for 27 to 30 minutes, until slightly browned and crispy. Serve with your favorite garnishes.

PER SERVING: 150 calories; Protein 7 g; Carbohydrates 13 g;

Dietary Fiber 2 g; Fat 9 g; Sugar 2 g; Cholesterol 25 mg; Sodium 130 mg

These burgers can also be fried in an oiled skillet or grilled on a barbecue baking sheet.

http://www.penguin.ca/static/pages/features/2012/quinoa_gallery/QuinoaBlad.pdf
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I had it for the first time last night and I loved it! My bag was still good. :smile: I made a Quinoa Vegetable soup with it.

‎1/2 cup of quinoa, 1 cup of potato, 1 corn on the cob, 1 cup of diced onion, 1 cup of sliced mushrooms, 1 medium yellow squash, 1 cup of diced carrots, 1/2 cup of diced celery, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 can of petit diced tomato, 6 cups of broth or water, 2 tablespoons of ground cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Roast the quinoa in a soup pot until a few of the seeds pop, rinse well and put aside to drain. I used some cheese cloth in my strainer so that all of the seeds would just not go thru. In the same pot heat oil and sautee the onions, celery and salt for 5mins. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the squash and mushrooms. Only add half the water/broth at first and the add the balance when you add the squash if you want it thinner. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15mins. Add the squash and mushrooms and let it simmer for another 25mins.
    Thanks Girl, I didn't see your recipe until now! :wink: