Quinoa: Love it, like it, hate it, never tried it?

Options
hanahlai
hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
Quinoa: Love it, like it, hate it, never tried it?

If you do like it/love it? How do you prepare it and with what?

Replies

• Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Love it! You can prepare it like rice. I usually prepare it in low sodium, fat free, chicken broth with some chopped carrots, celery and onions. Like a pilaf. It's kind of nutty in flavor, so you have to get used to it at first. There are a ton of recipes online to google! :)
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Like it....I like to buy the kind that already has the flavor added to it...can't think of the brand right now!! But way better than plain (even after I doctored it up)!
  • heatherfitz
    heatherfitz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa! I cook it as a side with fish and add lemon pepper, mmm...
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    A breakfast place near me serves a quinoa porridge that is to die for, but I'm sure it's high calorie. Hot, buttery, topped with mixed berry compote. I haven't tried to create a low cal alternative yet.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Love it! I use it as a chicken side dish and just cook it in low fat/low sodium chicken broth. Yum!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Delicious, I cook it, cool it and make a salad with it. Delicious and so nutritious.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Never tried it...What is it?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I use it to replace meat in my chili.
  • clockworkkarly
    Options
    i actually just tried it for the first time today. i didn't exactly do anything special with it... put a bit of soy sauce and sriracha on it (my two most favorite things) and even those didn't help. i thought it was super bland. cooked differently it might be good but on it's own it needs a lot of help. not my cup of tea, but may be yours. it's worth a try!
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    Cooking it tonight, with poached salmon and steamed green beans... I eat it three nights a week... love the stuff.
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    I like it. Have to make sure I add chicken stock and/or seasoning. Too bland if just cooked in water.

I use it where I'd normally eat rice.

Goes really well with chilli.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I loooooove quinoa. I use it in place of rice or cous cous mostly. I tried breakfast quinoa, and didn't love it, which was disappointing. I'd also really like to try a quinoa casserole. Quinoa salads are always good too.
  • BibiFit03
    BibiFit03 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is hands down the Best. Quinoa. Recipe. Ever. I love love LOVE it. It takes a bit of prep, and maybe isn't an everyday meal because it's a bit higher in calorie content due to all the extra deliciousness, but it's so good it's worth it.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/tricolour_quinoa.php
  • snoopynut1972
    snoopynut1972 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's growing on me. :-) Used it last night in Turkey Quinoa Meatloaf (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-and-quinoa-meatloaf/detail.aspx) and it was really good.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    never tried it...want to try it...not exactly sure how to prepare it
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have had quinoa pasta. I'm gluten intolerate. Its the best thing ever!

Never had straight up quinoa. plan on getting use to using the flour though. not sure if/when i will brave just the grain cooked.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/basic-quinoa.php

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/cooking-with-quinoa-00412000073996/

Love it! Check out the links above--easy prep and some decent recipes. I'm not vegan, but I cook a lot, and the site works. The Cooking Light site is a place to get a lot of decent recipes, all with nutritional information.

Most bags of quinoa, unless you buy it in bulk, will have cooking instructions on the bag. I've had the plain jane version and red, and there are probably more varieties I haven't tried. It's considered a major superfood these days.

Good luck! Please keep us posted--I'm excited to hear how you've eaten it.
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I use it to replace meat in my chili.

Oooo, that sounds wonderful. Care to share the recipe??

Thanks,
    ~Sheryl
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I just added my leftover quinoa to a can of split pea soup and a left over ham/bone. It was delicious- it's very good for you. I don't eat rice anymore (or pasta,bread,cereal).
    From the box:
    "Quinoa contains more high quality protein than other grain and it's one of the best sources of protein in the vegetable kingdom."
  • Strivingforhealth12
    Strivingforhealth12 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Love it! I have been eating Quinoa Porridge almost every morning for breakfast. I also like it cooked with black beans and sauteed veggies added for a main meal.