Quinoa: Love it, like it, hate it, never tried it?

Options

Replies

• SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Love it!

Last time I made it, I used coconut milk and put in sh*take (yup, it'll censor that) mushrooms, a little shredded coconut and green onion. Had it with crab cakes, mixed greens and mango salsa (I think I need to make that again soon). It reminds me most of couscous if you have ever had that.

I've made it with slivered almonds, then used it as a savory side dish, then ate the leftovers with berries and milk for breakfast.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

"Quinoa contains more high quality protein than other grain and it's one of the best sources of protein in the vegetable kingdom."

When did vegetables become a kingdom and who is their king? I miss everything. :angry:
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Love it! This is my favorite quinoa salad recipe. Super easy and always a big hit at pot lucks.

http://queenbeecoupons.com/2012/03/quinoa-salad-with-black-beans-corn-feta-and-lime-dressing/

I usually cook the quinoa in a rice cooker - just double the water. Enjoy!
  • queenofgrey
    queenofgrey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i tried it tonight for the first time. seeds of change's quinoa and brown rice. and, dear lord, it was delicious. and the servings are HUGE for how little the calories are.
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Made a salad with it for my cousin's graduation BBQ...was pretty good, smelled like something you would feed a horse when it was cooking though.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    My friend makes it all the time, and I've heard good things about it. I just bought a box the other day, and I am looking forward to trying it. Just need to find a good recipe!
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options
    Love it!!!! Just had some for dinner.
    I cook a big pot and use throughout the week in different recipes.
    Here's my favorite way to prepare - I put the quinoa in a pan on the stove to dry toast it. I just keep mixing it around until the first seeds start to pop and it gets slightly darker and toasted. Then I rinse it very well and put it back in the pan. Usually 1 1/2 cups water to a cup of quinoa, 1tsp butter and some sea salt. Cover and cook until the water is absorbed about 20 min.

Once it's done I can eat as it is, add some soy sauce, add it to salads, I even like to add some to my smoothie. Sometimes I add some almond milk, some chopped dates a little bit of maple syrup and make quinoa pudding for breakfast.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've tried it once but didn't really care for it (maybe it was just the flavor and the fact that it looked like "fish eggs" according to my kids :laugh: ) but these recipes sound good so now I'll have to try it out again
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Love it! I make a pilaf with it with corn and black beans. Delicious hot or cold ss a side dish.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Havent seen it in the stores yet :( but when i do i want to try it for sure
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I love it. I prepare it all different ways. I cook it with plain water and then incorporate it into a dish. My favorite, takes some time, is a butternut squash and parmesan quinoa loaf which is totally yummy but with all the cheese probably not the healthiest. But usually I just mix it with whatever I have on hand last time it was sugar snap peas, a can of sardines, about 1-2oz of soft chevre cheese, celery, and tomato.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    What does Quinoa taste like? I want to try it, but afraid to waste it if I don't care for it!
  • Scbeers
    Scbeers Posts: 1
    Options
    I love, love, LOVE quinoa!! It's very easy to prepare, I just put it in my rice cooker with double the amount of water (eg. 1 c. quinoa, 2 c. water) and then let it cook. It can be throw into just about anything that calls for rice, and I prefer the texture.

There's a fantastic recipe that my mom and I have come up with, she uses brown rice but I prefer quinoa. 1 c. cooked quinoa, as much steamed broccoli as you like (about 2 heads fresh or 1/2 bag frozen works well), 2 cans black beans and the following sauce: 2 t. whole dijon mustard (w/the whole seeds), 1 t. regular dijon mustard, 3 t. soy or liquid aminos, and add hot sauce if you like things spicy. Mix together, pour over remaining ingredients and stir together. I usually end up adding a couple of tablespoons of water after mixing as well.

Great summer salad - 2 c. cooked quinoa, about half a purple or sweet onion diced, fresh blueberries, feta cheese crumbled, fresh spinach chopped (amount to your preference) and sauce: juice of 2 fresh lemons, or 2 T. bottled lemon juice, couple shakes of pepper and just enough olive oil to emulsify together. Pour over salad, mix and enjoy!! This is my staple food in the summertime.

I'm a vegetarian and quinoa is a complete protein in itself, so I try to eat a lot of it to make sure I'm getting enough.
  • lungti29
    lungti29 Posts: 28
    Options
    Love it! Now quinoa purists may argue, but Trader Joe's makes a frozen quinoa with vegetable melange that is really really good. It takes only a few minutes to heat up on the stove and is delicious and filling!
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Like it though we don't eat it very often, cook it just like rice and add veggies and sometimes meat to it
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Need to try some,
    will get it tomorrow and have it in stead of the rice with my chili, see how it goes but i will try some of these recipes as they sound delish.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Do not like. Weird texture.
  • ddardeen
    ddardeen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just tried it for the first time a few days ago. Bought mine already prepared frozen from Trader Joe's. I love it! It's a nice change in texture from brown rice. :)
  • KiKi429
    KiKi429 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    love it!!! especially with chilli :smile: