Quinoa: Love it, like it, hate it, never tried it?

Options

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Love it.
    Sometimes I eat it the way I would rice, maybe with a little butter & seasoning, sometimes mixed with veggies. I just tried this recipe and LOVE it( I made it without pepperoni).
    http://www.soveryblessed.com/2012/02/quinoa-pizza-bites.html?m=1
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Been wondering...thanks for the post!
    going to have to try it!
  • Dankelzaga
    Dankelzaga Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Really like it...one of those darn near perfect foods imo. I typically use it just like rice. There are also some really good "meatloaf" type recipes on the web if you do a search which uses it.

One thing being that it is kind of expensive. I find myself almost always making way too much of it. When you go to cook it..doesn't seem like that much, but after cooking there is always tons. Just keep this in mind.
  • AdaBee
    AdaBee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it but I hear it's very healthy and a good alternative to rice. I was told to try serving a stir-fry recipe over quinoa instead of rice so I'm going to try that! :) It sounds from the other answers that it's good, too!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time yesterday and LOVE it! I got the recipe off the internet. I did use a package that already had some seasonings in it. I put a teaspon of vegetable oil in a pan and fried up onion and fresh garlic. I added 3/4 can of chicken broth, cumin seasoning, ceyenne seasoning, a cup of frozen corn, 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, and two cans of black beans. It had a little bite to it. I am having this all week for lunch. You could also put it in a wrap.....or on a salad...I thought it was VERY tasty and am going to look for more recipes with quiona. :)
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it, but bought some the other day that I haven't gotten around to cooking. I don't have high hopes for it though... is the texture anything like couscous? Because I kind of hate that.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    bump for sure :)
  • much2gain
    much2gain Posts: 42
    Options
    THE BEST recipe I have found for Quinoa.. but really, it's great just cooked like you would rice and used in the same way.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/tabasco-asparagus-quinoa-recipe.html

Trader Joes also had a contest for Quinoa recipes. Google it. :)
  • much2gain
    much2gain Posts: 42
    Options
    oh... and you can use FAR LESS butter than called for. :)
  • 4leggedmom
    4leggedmom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Love it! I eat it in replace of white rice.

I made a Chicken Fried Quinoa (Rice) and Quinoa with chopped grilled veggies

Quinoa is so versatile. You can do a lot with it.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It is on my list of must try items. I need to get to the bulk food store to buy a small amount because it is $12 for a little bag at the grocery store. That is too rich for me :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It's good when cooked in chicken broth. Nutty and chewy.
  • Najah5150
    Najah5150 Posts: 170
    Options
    I actually LOVE it now. I was nervous when I first tried it. my fiance' actually likes it too. I found recipes online...I've made Quinoa Pilaf...it was the BOMB! My kids loved it when I made that recipe. I've made it for breaksfast also...it's pretty good with cinnamon, brown sugar and slivered almonds. ooohhh la la, I need to go pick me up some when I get home.
  • erinw1011
    erinw1011 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Maybe I got bad Quinoa? I cooked it in chicken broth like a friend told me to do and I made a pilaf like the package said. When I put it into my mouth it tasted good but had a horrible after taste! I can't get myself to try it again.
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I only buy the pre-rinsed kind (if you don't you have to rinse it first, or that horrible taste occurs).

I make a batch and portion it out (it keeps well in the fridge)

Add it to cooked veggies (I toast it for a bit in the pan with them) <3 and very filling.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Love it. 1 C quinoa, 2 C water in my rice cooker and turn on. Season with salt, pepper, whatever. I make it instead of rice or potatoes.

Last night my son took my hubby's plate and was eating the quinoa off of it like a dog. He thought he was funny....I'm just glad he likes quinoa!!!
  • Woly
    Woly Posts: 26
    Options
    My grandma makes a salad with quinoa, avocado, tomato, lime, olive oil, and parsley that is to die for. So healthy too!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Quinoa!

I cook mine in low sodium chicken or beef broth. I have seen a recipe for breakfast quinoa that I want to try (in place of Oatmeal)

I have also added it to my salads. *yum!*

I like to mix the red and white together when I cook it.
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! Go to Whole Foods, they have a few different varieties of it.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    My grandma makes a salad with quinoa, avocado, tomato, lime, olive oil, and parsley that is to die for. So healthy too!

Yum, that sounds great.

Costco has it lately. A huge bag for $10ish? It's a LOT. You can buy it in the bulk bins at stores like Sprouts, too. That's a good way to try it, if you're not sure if you'll like it. The calories are high-ish like most grains but it's so good for you and filling.