Quinoa: Love it, like it, hate it, never tried it?

Options

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Goes to google it
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I didn't read the other posts but I LOVE quinoa! HOWEVER I hated it the first time I tried it because I didn't know what I was doing. Some quinoa needs to be rinsed before you cook it - it can have a bitter coating. The way I cook it is sort of like mexican rice. I add finely chopped garlic, carrots, onions, and celery. You can add some mexican seasoning and tomatoes if you like, and I use gluten free chicken or beef stock instead of plain water to cook it. I make a big batch and keep it in the fridge so I can have extra for additions to quick lunches/dinners. However the family isn't a fan so I make jasmine rice for them instead.
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! Typically I make it with garlic and half an onion. Add that to 4 cups of water with a heaping tablespoon of all natural chicken base bring to a boil. add 2 cups of quinoa return to a boil cover and simmer on low til done about 25 mins. It's SO amazingly delicious.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    *bump* Want to try but never have!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like it. I usually prepare it as a side dish or in a salad.
  • Kaylovely612
    Options
    I tried it for the first time tonight and hated it. It looks like cat throwup. or something equally as gross haha. the texture was too much to get over
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Ooo just went back and read some of the posts. LOVE the idea to toast it in my cast iron skillet first! I'll try that next time.
  • nis75p06
    Options
    Tried the "Inca Red" kind. It was okay, but way way bland - not sure what I was expecting, but it didn't have any "grain flavor". I even toasted it in a dry skillet before hand to bloom the flavor. Salt, pepper, and Frank's Red Hot made it better but next time I will cook it with broth and at least garlic and onion.
  • kattaw
    kattaw Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've had mixed experiences with it. I tried to make a quinoa version of stir-fry and it was a total bust. There are two recipes in particular, however, that have turned out really well.

This one, a quinoa version of Broccoli Rice Casserole: http://www.annies-eats.com/2012/09/17/cheesy-broccoli-quinoa-casserole/ is pretty good and makes excellent leftovers. I've only made it once, but next time I'll definitely add more salt and cayenne pepper, and perhaps use one of the chicken-flavored versions of quinoa.

This one, quinoa cakes and poached eggs: http://www.annies-eats.com/2011/12/05/quinoa-cakes-with-poached-eggs/ is just outstanding. Because of the egg, it doesn't really travel well, so I usually only make enough for the meal at hand. Poaching eggs is sometimes kind of a drag, but I imagine a fried egg (skip the butter, though, obviously) would make a nice substitute.

Both are so low-calorie that even when I have seconds I don't break the calorie bank, which is always a plus.

Oh, and this recipe is next on my list before I can't find watermelon until next summer: http://www.annies-eats.com/2012/06/20/quinoa-salad-with-watermelon-and-feta/
  • MisterGoodBar
    MisterGoodBar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    never tried it but want to
  • I Love Quinoa had red last night <3 salsa sauce gives it a kick...kind of reminds me of mamas grits.. but not as course:heart:
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I just added my leftover quinoa to a can of split pea soup and a left over ham/bone. It was delicious- it's very good for you. I don't eat rice anymore (or pasta,bread,cereal).
    From the box:
    "Quinoa contains more high quality protein than other grain and it's one of the best sources of protein in the vegetable kingdom."

Not at all trying to be a b*tch on this post or anything becuase I think this is a great thread.

I just want to clarify that quinoa is actually a seed, not a grain. That is why it is better for you and gluten free.
  • RedBullLiz
    RedBullLiz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Never tried it but I want to so bad. I just always forget a lot of things when I am at the store!!
  • Kelene616
    Kelene616 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm trying rainbow Quinoa for the first time tonight with some sauteed mushrooms andyellow squash and salmon. I'm so excited. I also can't wait to try it for breakfast with a little Greek yogurt and some fresh berries :-)
  • neentree
    Options
    I love quinoa! When I was a kid my dad used to make it instead of rice a lot.

I usually saute some onions in a tiny bit of olive oil, then add the quinoa and water and cook it. Then I have it with veggies. I basically treat quinoa how I would treat rice :).
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Love it just boil it in water. love it with chilli instead of rice but equally nice with salad. i tried it cooked in orange juice with dried apricots once for breakfast a bit too sweet for my taste and didn,t really enjoy it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    always looking for new ideas...

Was looking at a raw foods website last night and she was talking about sprouting it before lightly cooking it...might have to try that.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I like it. Have to make sure I add chicken stock and/or seasoning. Too bland if just cooked in water.

I use it where I'd normally eat rice.

Goes really well with chilli.

Exactly!!!
  • pinkakira1
    pinkakira1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have heard it is good but never tried it?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Quinoa patties with goat cheese & remoulade
    Serves: 8 patties

Ingredients

1 cup dry Quinoa
    1 medium carrot, shredded
    3 green onions, finely diced
    ¼ tsp kosher salt
    ¼ tsp black pepper
    3 large eggs, beaten
    ¼ cup (1 oz) Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
    ¾ cup bread crumbs
    3 oz soft goat cheese, crumbled
    2 Tbsp olive oil for pan-frying, divided
    3 Tbsp low-fat olive oil mayonnaise
    3 Tbsp 0% plain Greek yogurt
    salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Add the Quinoa, stir, and return to a boil.
    Cover and simmer for about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to steam, with lid on, for
    minutes. Fluff with a fork.

In a medium bowl, combine the cooked Quinoa with the carrot, onion, salt, and pepper. Stir in
    the eggs, bread crumbs, and cheeses until well blended. Form the mixture into balls and then
    flatten into 1-inch thick patties.

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 4 of the patties and cook 6-8
    minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, until browned. Remove
    to a plate lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil. Repeat with remaining oil and patties.

While patties cook, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Serve hot Quinoa patties with remoulade.

"Quinoa is a whole grain (seed, technically) that is quickly gaining popularity for its protein and fiber content while being versatile enough to make appearances in recipes for every meal of the day. These Quinoa patties can be mixed up ahead of time (or use leftover Quinoa) and reheat as leftovers beautifully. These have a “meaty” texture that may even win over the carnivore in your life…or yourself. If you try these and don’t love them…well, I just don’t think that will happen! Enjoy!"

Running to the Kitchen Website - http://tinyurl.com/8m24dum