Quinoa: Love it, like it, hate it, never tried it?

Options

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I bought a box of it, made the vegetable 'pilaf' recipe on the box and it was too bland for me. I ended up mixing in a can of golden mushroom soup and it was delish. Next time I'll just use low sodium beef broth to cook it in and add my own fresh mushrooms. Campbells puts way too much sodium in their soups!
  • leighviathan
    Options
    Love it! I pair it with black beans; either served hot or cold. Delicious!
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Add black beans mango yum (salad)
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    LOVE it, I use this grain almost daily, it is perfect. no gluten, people rave about its protein even though i don't think its a lot its still more then something like pasta. 1 serving is just enough, it is very filling! i love it in salads, as a substitute for pasta type grains... it works as both a sweet and savory dish. it is just a godsend to me!
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    tha ancient grain! I love it! It has the most protein of anything, anything! in the plant kingdom. I love a quinoa roasted root vegetable salad with pesto and goat cheese. I ate it tonight with west african peanut stew on top. Great alternative to rice. Nutty, delicious and nutritious. Doesn't get much better than that.
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    tha ancient grain! I love it! It has the most protein of anything, anything! in the plant kingdom. I love a quinoa roasted root vegetable salad with pesto and goat cheese. I ate it tonight with west african peanut stew on top. Great alternative to rice. Nutty, delicious and nutritious. Doesn't get much better than that.
  • TeamNoExcuses
    Options
    bump^ very interested in trying this to replace rice
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Love it!

I modify this recipe for breakfast: http://greatist.com/health/recipe-chocolate-banana-breakfast-quinoa/

I am kinda lazy in the morning, so I just take left over quinoa add milk, banana, and baking cocoa and throw it in the microwave. DELISH and not as many calories as above.

I also just have it for lunch with some marinara on top with a side of sauteed greens. yum!
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    ate it yesterday with avacado, red onion, cilantro and baked chicken
  • traciad
    traciad Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Had for lunch today with grilled chicken tenderloins, sautéed onions, mushrooms, and green beans. I buy Roland Roasted Garlic. I don't love it by itself but I really like it mixed in things. Yum
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Bought a 5lb or so bag from costco for about 10 bucks. Great stuff and I use it in place of rice. I cook it with chicken bullion cubes and eat it plain as a side for my grilled chicken.

I usually cook up 4 servings or so and put it in the fridge for the week. 150 grams cooked is one serving.
  • LTwoKids
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! I add a little Olive oil, some greek seasoning, and TONS of steamed veggies. I love to eat it hot or cold. Another way to eat it is to add a little olive oil or lite balsamic vinaigrette dressing, tomatoes, and fresh basil (caprese style). mmm! Costco sells a big 4 lb. bag of it for $9 and change. A far cry from the $6/lb cost at the grocery store.
  • LTwoKids
    Options
    Oh, and upon doing research, I learned we call it a grain, but it is more like a nut which explains the higher protein content. It's super filling, easy to make, and delicious!
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I love it with a splash of vinegar, a bit of coconut oil and a lot of hot madras curry :)~
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Oh ancient grain - you taste so strange,
    leaving my palate feeling the mange,
    your hard yet chewy balls,
    will be my downfall,
    because I cannot stand you at all,
    at all
  • kevokie
    kevokie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ya know, I'm thinking cabbage rolls made with quinoa instead of rice! Hmmmm!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    God bless you! No idea what that is lol
  • rcultice
    Options
    Quinoa fruit salad is great! Search for a recipe on pinterest.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Love love love!

A couple of recent recipes: tonight, I made quiona/cauliflower patties. 1 cup cooked quinoa, 3 cups roasted cauliflower, seasoning ( i used some turmeric, cayenne, and dried cilantro) 2 eggs, 1/2c rice "bread" crumbs, 2 tbsp veganaise. Mix well, make into patties and bake on 375 for 35-40 minutes.

a few weeks ago: I made a soup with corn, peppers, cilantro, cumin and quinoa. It was more of a stew and less of a soup. turned out very thick after leaving it sit over night. it was amazing!

my favorite and easiest way. quinoa mash up, take quinoa and mix with any veggies you have that need to be used. I always add a field roast vegan chipotle sausage to the mash up. I mix everything up and eat it. My usual recipe is, onions pepper and garlic sauted, cooked quinoa, baby spinach, and chipotle field roast and a scoop of greek yogurt plain for creaminess. Delicious!

Also, with autumn coming, there is a great butternut squash, quinoa casserole on martha stewarts website. This is the recipe I made when I feel in love with quinoa. I would recommend if you look the recipe up, cut the amount of cheese in half if you are trying to keep calories in check.