Paleo diet

Options
I've started the Paleo (Primal) diet a couple of days ago.
Has anyone here tried it? What were your experiences?

If you are eating Paleo, please add me :-)

Replies

• straightjacketjacob
    Options
    Thats how I try to eat when I'm not cutting weight for a fight. It made me much leaner and more anobolic. Its hard for me to stay on it do to having small children that are picky eaters I always give in and eat that pizza:smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I have cut out grains and have felt a big improvement. I still eat dairy so I'm not actually paleo and the initial reason I cut out grains wasnt for a paleo path. The overall approach to cutting out crap and getting more veggies and protein seems like a win win.

There are a few haters here so dont let them derail you.

Restaurants are easier than you might think. Steak or chicken or fish with steamed veggies.

I feel really good without grains in my diet and the calories I used to take up with grains are now taken up with more meat, veggies and nuts.

good luck
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I have cut out grains and have felt a big improvement. I still eat dairy so I'm not actually paleo and the initial reason I cut out grains wasnt for a paleo path. The overall approach to cutting out crap and getting more veggies and protein seems like a win win.

Restaurants are easier than you might think. Steak or chicken or fish with steamed veggies.

I feel really good without grains in my diet and the calories I used to take up with grains are now taken up with more meat, veggies and nuts.

good luck

This pretty much. I cut out grains a while ago. I don't follow it 100% though. Sometimes I have sugar in my coffee and I occasionally have ice cream. So its probably more primal since I use dairy. Paleo stresses only lean cuts of meat too but I still use some fatty cuts of its grass fed and finished.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Thats how I try to eat when I'm not cutting weight for a fight. It made me much leaner and more anobolic. Its hard for me to stay on it do to having small children that are picky eaters I always give in and eat that pizza:smile:

Just eat the toppings off the pizza and a big salad with it!!! That white flour crust is bland and the just a carrier for the toppings anyway!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

good luck

This pretty much. I cut out grains a while ago. I don't follow it 100% though. Sometimes I have sugar in my coffee and I occasionally have ice cream. So its probably more primal since I use dairy. Paleo stresses only lean cuts of meat too but I still use some fatty cuts of its grass fed and finished.

We have ice cream in our household too. I do make it home made (used to be the only ice cream I would eat) and occasionally we go to a local ice cream shop called White Cottage who has sugar-free ice cream which they make all of their ice cream fresh made everyday also.

Dairy is paleo in your lifestyle if YOUR body is tolerant to it. Raw dairy is preferred because the good bacteria is in it which gets destroyed by the homogenization and pasteurization process.

We had strawberries with fresh made whipped cream last night after supper. We get raw dairy from local Amish and other local farmers.
  • victoria4321
    Options

good luck

We have ice cream in our household too. I do make it home made (used to be the only ice cream I would eat) and occasionally we go to a local ice cream shop called White Cottage who has sugar-free ice cream which they make all of their ice cream fresh made everyday also.

Dairy is paleo in your lifestyle if YOUR body is tolerant to it. Raw dairy is preferred because the good bacteria is in it which gets destroyed by the homogenization and pasteurization process.

We had strawberries with fresh made whipped cream last night after supper. We get raw dairy from local Amish and other local farmers.

I was thinking about making my own ice cream. I get raw dairy from a coop that delivers here. What kind of sweetener do you use? I was thinking to use honey or sugar in the raw. Do you have any good recipes for coconut milk ice cream too? That's another one I always buy.
  • 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The husband and I have been talking about it for 6 months, just started last week while kids were out of town. Doing it for weight control, but even moreso for health benefits. Makes a lot of sense. Would love to see posts on this subject. What we've read goes against lean meats. 50% fat, 30% protein, 20% carbs. MFP is an excellent way to keep track. We have found that although we are not concerned about calories, we are both under or at calorie counts, and stay very satisfied. No dairy for us, except cheese, haven't been able to give it up. Looking for a birthday cake recipe for the husband now.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    What is the deal with dairy? If it's full fat and organic, and your body can tolerate it - is it a problem?
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    Here's the basic problem with the Paleo diet: it is not based on any sort of historical facts. The cavemen Mark Sisson and others who espouse this diet only had a life expectancy of about 45 years. And we have learned that certain things are better for you than others. It's called EVOLUTION, and we are living it every day. This is essentially a low carb diet, with most of your carbs coming from fruits, veggies, and nuts. You don't, however, see a lot of athletes using this diet because they would gas out. Just a thought.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It made me much leaner and more anobolic.

?

This is about like saying made me much faster when laying down.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options

This "fact" about pasteurization is blatantly not true. In the past year there has been a severe increase in disease outbreak and deaths because of the increased consumption of raw milk.

Types of bacteria that are in raw milk can include Brucella, Campylobacter, Listeria, Mycobacterium bovis, Salmonella, Shiga toxin-producing E. coli, Shigella, Streptococcus pyogenes, and Yersinia enterocolitica. NONE of these are good bacteria!

Reference - http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/raw-milk-questions-and-answers.html
    http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/safety/story/2012-02-21/Raw-milk-causes-most-illnesses-from-dairy/53196680/1 (there is peer reviewed journal reference from EID in that story)
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    Remember people, most fad diets are just that...fads. Eat less. Do more. Go hard.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm only a week in, but so far, I feel great and dropped a little over 5lbs.
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Remember people, most fad diets are just that...fads. Eat less. Do more. Go hard.

There is nothing faddy about eating lots of vegetables, meat, fish, eggs fruit. Its what humans are meant to eat - not processed grass seeds.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

There is nothing faddy about eating lots of vegetables, meat, fish, eggs fruit. Its what humans are meant to eat - not processed grass seeds.

exactly....I just dont get how people want to label this as a fad. For me, getting away from most fast food and most over processed convenience foods is not a fad, It just seems like the right thing to do.
  • Jipples
    Options
    Here's the basic problem with the Paleo diet: it is not based on any sort of historical facts. The cavemen Mark Sisson and others who espouse this diet only had a life expectancy of about 45 years. And we have learned that certain things are better for you than others. It's called EVOLUTION, and we are living it every day. This is essentially a low carb diet, with most of your carbs coming from fruits, veggies, and nuts. You don't, however, see a lot of athletes using this diet because they would gas out. Just a thought.

It's not just a low carb diet. Argue the point that we SHOULD eat processed foods with additives for me. I dont need historical facts to reason that avoiding processed foods isn't that bad of an idea. Is it the ONLY way, no. But it's not a bad way.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

What make you think we weren't "meant to eat" grain.

Paleotarded propaganda?

Mercader J. Mozambican grass seed consumption during the middle stone age. Science. (2009) 326(5960):1680-3.

The role of starchy plants in early hominin diets and when the culinary processing of starches began have been difficult to track archaeologically. Seed collecting is conventionally perceived to have been an irrelevant activity among the Pleistocene foragers of southern Africa, on the grounds of both technological difficulty in the processing of grains and the belief that roots, fruits, and nuts, not cereals, were the basis for subsistence for the past 100,000 years and further back in time. A large assemblage of starch granules has been retrieved from the surfaces of Middle Stone Age stone tools from Mozambique, showing that early Homo sapiens relied on grass seeds starting at least 105,000 years ago, including those of sorghum grasses.
  • victoria4321
    Options

This "fact" about pasteurization is blatantly not true. In the past year there has been a severe increase in disease outbreak and deaths because of the increased consumption of raw milk.

Types of bacteria that are in raw milk can include Brucella, Campylobacter, Listeria, Mycobacterium bovis, Salmonella, Shiga toxin-producing E. coli, Shigella, Streptococcus pyogenes, and Yersinia enterocolitica. NONE of these are good bacteria!

Reference - http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/raw-milk-questions-and-answers.html
    http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/safety/story/2012-02-21/Raw-milk-causes-most-illnesses-from-dairy/53196680/1 (there is peer reviewed journal reference from EID in that story)

That depends on your source and health of the cows. I've been using raw dairy for a while now. I have issues tolerating whole milk usually but i'm fine with it raw.
  • Jipples
    Options

Paleotarded propaganda?

Mercader J. Mozambican grass seed consumption during the middle stone age. Science. (2009) 326(5960):1680-3.

The role of starchy plants in early hominin diets and when the culinary processing of starches began have been difficult to track archaeologically. Seed collecting is conventionally perceived to have been an irrelevant activity among the Pleistocene foragers of southern Africa, on the grounds of both technological difficulty in the processing of grains and the belief that roots, fruits, and nuts, not cereals, were the basis for subsistence for the past 100,000 years and further back in time. A large assemblage of starch granules has been retrieved from the surfaces of Middle Stone Age stone tools from Mozambique, showing that early Homo sapiens relied on grass seeds starting at least 105,000 years ago, including those of sorghum grasses.

Dude, you are like a gnat.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Paleotarded propaganda?

Dude, you are like a gnat.

deal-with-it-sloth-edition-9246.gif

As long as people continue to spout nonsense. I'll continue to debunk it.