Paleo diet

Options

Replies

• michaelfurey
    Options
    The only "processing" done to an oat is that it is husked, washed, and baked. There isn't anything but water added in the process.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    What is paleos stance on sprouted grain bread?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Its considered okay by some from what I read.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    Just for arguments sake, I have been medically diagnosed with celiac, and I found out after I went on the paleo diet. :p that doesn't realu mean much but its kind of annoying how everyone is on the gluten bandwagon now. But the demand has made it much easier to get gluten free products. Haha.

From what I've read, by and large people with real gluten allergies pretty much despise the anti-gluten fad because of how much it marginalizes their condition. The only real benefit being that it is easier to get gluten-free products.

Yes it is annoying. When they suspected I had it, they wanted me to do the tests and stuff but I never went back to the dr because I didn't want to have it!!!! Now these people go gluten free for the fun of it?!?!?! It was devestating the thought of having to go gluten free. I guess to the faddists they have a light at the end of the tunnel so they can always go back. But when I went on the paleo diet it was like night and day I literally said to my husband "is this what it feels like to be a functioning member of society???!!!" Lol. It sucked. But I do feel better but it does minimalize the disease when people all of a sudden have gluten intolerance with no medical basis. Grr.
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    Oh, he's a stud, no doubt. But for every person you can name that follows the Paleo diet, I can name you people who are just as fit (or more) that do not. Paleo is a choice, but it is not one based in science, that's all I'm saying. To say grains are bad for you is asinine, unless you are allergic to them.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm reading The Primal Blueprint right now, and I'm seriously considering the Paleo diet currently. It's really hard for me because I have two small kids who are incredibly picky eaters. I try to avoid grains, but it's difficult, that's for sure. Perhaps once I get through the book, I'll be able to find ways to make adjustments...any tips?

I eat Primal/Paleo (and my husband does about 80% of the time) - my kids don't - I had such food issues as a child i dont' want to force them to the point that it is this or nothing else...I think they would starve if we took away their pasta.

What we do is offer them different fruits and veggies to try and we ask they take a bite - in some cases they find they really like something and will ask for it again and again...one of mine loves a sweet potato, onion and cauliflower hash I do.

My whole thing with my kids is teaching them about making the right choices...and whatever they are having we talk about serving sizes and how somethings are a once in a while treat vs an every day food item...
  • Macote
    Macote Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thats how I try to eat when I'm not cutting weight for a fight. It made me much leaner and more anobolic. Its hard for me to stay on it do to having small children that are picky eaters I always give in and eat that pizza:smile:

I just started to eat more paleo and have 2 children. One is older and wants to eat healthier as well. The other is younger and doesn't understand fully what it is yet. The younger loves the story in Paleo Pals, and is pretty much a fruits and veggies type of kid. However, he does love his grilled cheese sandwiches. I am slowly trying to introduce him to the healthier meals in these two books.

Try these two books...

Paleo Pals http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Pals-Jimmy-Carrot-Rocket/dp/193660888X
    Eat Like the Dinosaurs http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Like-Dinosaur-Guidebook-Gluten-free/dp/1936608871/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Both have some good recipes.
  • weathergirl320
    Options

I won't touch that stuff with a ten foot pole.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    now the anti everything people are going to far. I cut grains and have benefits like feeling better and sleeping better and I am told they cant be real benefits unless I back it up with science. Amazing how far some will go to feel justified in being anti paleo.

I dont even consider myself paleo as I eat dairy and sometimes more processed crap then I care to admit. But telling me the benefits I receive from cutting grain arent real because there isnt a study to prove it is just lame.

I will continue to cut grains and experience my imaginary improvements.
  • icapell
    icapell Posts: 2
    Options
    Another consideration is that (particularly for Gout sufferers) grains actually help rid the body of toxins such as uric acid.
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    the paleo people are "anti everything." I am not. I am also for not spreading stuff around that isn't based in science, but rather in anecdotes.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the paleo people are "anti everything."

LOL...uh...no
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Another consideration is that (particularly for Gout sufferers) grains actually help rid the body of toxins such as uric acid.

So does drinking a lot of water.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    now the anti everything people are going to far. I cut grains and have benefits like feeling better and sleeping better and I am told they cant be real benefits unless I back it up with science. Amazing how far some will go to feel justified in being anti paleo.

I dont even consider myself paleo as I eat dairy and sometimes more processed crap then I care to admit. But telling me the benefits I receive from cutting grain arent real because there isnt a study to prove it is just lame.

I will continue to cut grains and experience my imaginary improvements.

It isn't that cutting grains did not have any real benefits for YOU. Whether your sleep improvement is due to not eating grains, placebo effect or something completely unrelated, good for you. The problem is with extrapolating what works in one person (or a dozen or a hundred) to the general population. IOW, if someone said 'I have sleep problems' and you answered with 'Stop eating grains; grains make you sleep poorly' (taking your example to a logical extreme), that would be a problem. We don't really *know* that a) it's the grains that made you sleep poorly and b) that cutting grains will make *everyone* (or even someone else) sleep better. Lots of people have real trouble understanding that Anecdote != data.

I am fully supportive of attempts by people to eat less processed foods. Even when I don't support the pseudo science (or no science) that they're using as rationale. Within reason, one must do what works.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    The only "processing" done to an oat is that it is husked, washed, and baked. There isn't anything but water added in the process.

I said most not all. A for effort though.
  • MicaelaFW
    MicaelaFW Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm on neither side of this... I have felt both ways... Now, I just feel if you follow the food pyramid how can you go wrong?? Well balanced diet hasn't worked for people for hundreds of years?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The benefit of cutting out grains outweighs the benefit of cutting out animal products. You may not "need" either one of these food groups, but grains aren't giving you as much nutritional benefit as meat.
    This whole no nutrition line of thinking that people keep pushing is messed up.

There are macronutrients and micronutrients. Macronutrients are fuel for the body and needed in copious amounts to maintain all the bodies functions. Micronutrients are other things the body needs in tiny amounts to suppliment the macronutrients.

If you eat a varied diet micronutrients are irrelevent. Your chance of developing a deficiency is very low if you eat a varied diet. Only those that cut out major food groups or only eat a small variety of foods are at risk of a micronutrient deficiency.

The macronutrient profile of a food is its nutritional benefit. Grains provide carbs and a small amount of protein. It is good fuel for the body. Compare this to lettuce for example, which has virtually no calories, the body gets virtually nothing out of it. The nutritional value of lettuce is extremely low.

In fact this is the case with most veggies. People are so confused as to what is an isn't nutritious; many veggies have virtually no nutritional value aside from a small amount of micronutrients yet they are praised for their healtiness. The rhetoric can be downright laughable.

The macronutrient profile of a food is it primary nutritional profile. Fat people are especially screwed up since they villify macronutrients in the name of becoming less fat, and they equate getting thinner with getting healthier. This leads to an understanding of nutrition and eating in people that is bewilderingly out in left field; flipping macro and micro nutrients when considering nutritional value, villifying primary nurients as being not nutritious depite being vital for the body and needed in copious amounts.
  • mrswright71
    Options
    Hi, I follow a paleo diet and I do crossfit. People will argue about everything in life; this is what works for me, so add me. :)
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, and I'm not going to since I like grains, but I have a girlfriend that does and she loves it. The main drawback for her is the price of fresh fruits and veggies, but other then that she loves the diet. I don't necessarily think it's bad, just not for me. Good luck to you, try to pick from the responders people who will help you with advice on low cost recipes and the like, I think (yes, personal opinion) that it might help you be more successful.
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    Thank you for the voice of reason!