Paleo diet

Options

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Remember people, most fad diets are just that...fads. Eat less. Do more. Go hard.

There is nothing faddy about eating lots of vegetables, meat, fish, eggs fruit. Its what humans are meant to eat - not processed grass seeds.

What make you think we weren't "meant to eat" grain.

Paleotarded propaganda?

Mercader J. Mozambican grass seed consumption during the middle stone age. Science. (2009) 326(5960):1680-3.

The role of starchy plants in early hominin diets and when the culinary processing of starches began have been difficult to track archaeologically. Seed collecting is conventionally perceived to have been an irrelevant activity among the Pleistocene foragers of southern Africa, on the grounds of both technological difficulty in the processing of grains and the belief that roots, fruits, and nuts, not cereals, were the basis for subsistence for the past 100,000 years and further back in time. A large assemblage of starch granules has been retrieved from the surfaces of Middle Stone Age stone tools from Mozambique, showing that early Homo sapiens relied on grass seeds starting at least 105,000 years ago, including those of sorghum grasses.

Dude, you are like a gnat.

No need for all that.

What do you think about the quality of our grains compared to what people ate way back? Isnt that enough to make it worth limiting or eliminating?
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Remember people, most fad diets are just that...fads. Eat less. Do more. Go hard.

There is nothing faddy about eating lots of vegetables, meat, fish, eggs fruit. Its what humans are meant to eat - not processed grass seeds.

Paleotarded propaganda?

Mercader J. Mozambican grass seed consumption during the middle stone age. Science. (2009) 326(5960):1680-3.

The role of starchy plants in early hominin diets and when the culinary processing of starches began have been difficult to track archaeologically. Seed collecting is conventionally perceived to have been an irrelevant activity among the Pleistocene foragers of southern Africa, on the grounds of both technological difficulty in the processing of grains and the belief that roots, fruits, and nuts, not cereals, were the basis for subsistence for the past 100,000 years and further back in time. A large assemblage of starch granules has been retrieved from the surfaces of Middle Stone Age stone tools from Mozambique, showing that early Homo sapiens relied on grass seeds starting at least 105,000 years ago, including those of sorghum grasses.

Dude, you are like a gnat.

No need for all that.

What do you think about the quality of our grains compared to what people ate way back? Isnt that enough to make it worth limiting or eliminating?

By that rationale we should eliminate all the fruits and veggies we eat too.
  • weathergirl320
    Options

Paleotarded propaganda?

Wtf is wrong with you? I have said this countless times and so have many others. The paleo diet isn't about being historically accurate to anT, its about eating as close to nature as possible. Why is that such a hard concept for you to grasp? Can yoy say that eating chemical laden processed food like products is better than eating local whole foods? Why can't you comprehend this simple concept of eating as close to nature as possible in a modern world? Because thats what this diet is about. Not following to a T what some obscure tribe or culture ate thousands of years ago. Get over it your making a fool of yourself. And your argument is weak. Show me a study that shows eating crap is HEALTHIER for you than whole natural foods. abd by healthy I don't mean low calorie. I mean nutritious.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Paleotarded propaganda?

Wtf is wrong with you? I have said this countless times and so have many others. The paleo diet isn't about being historically accurate to anT, its about eating as close to nature as possible. Why is that such a hard concept for you to grasp? Can yoy say that eating chemical laden processed food like products is better than eating local whole foods? Why can't you comprehend this simple concept of eating as close to nature as possible in a modern world? Because thats what this diet is about. Not following to a T what some obscure tribe or culture ate thousands of years ago. Get over it your making a fool of yourself. And your argument is weak. Show me a study that shows eating crap is HEALTHIER for you than whole natural foods. abd by healthy I don't mean low calorie. I mean nutritious.

Try reading my actual posts.

Nobody's arguing against making whole minimally processed foods the basis of your diet. The idiocy is in the arbitrary exclusion of perfectly healthy whole foods such as grains, legumes and dairy.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Dairy is paleo in your lifestyle if YOUR body is tolerant to it. Raw dairy is preferred because the good bacteria is in it which gets destroyed by the homogenization and pasteurization process.

This "fact" about pasteurization is blatantly not true. In the past year there has been a severe increase in disease outbreak and deaths because of the increased consumption of raw milk.

Types of bacteria that are in raw milk can include Brucella, Campylobacter, Listeria, Mycobacterium bovis, Salmonella, Shiga toxin-producing E. coli, Shigella, Streptococcus pyogenes, and Yersinia enterocolitica. NONE of these are good bacteria!

Reference - http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/raw-milk-questions-and-answers.html
    http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/safety/story/2012-02-21/Raw-milk-causes-most-illnesses-from-dairy/53196680/1 (there is peer reviewed journal reference from EID in that story)

That depends on your source and health of the cows. I've been using raw dairy for a while now. I have issues tolerating whole milk usually but i'm fine with it raw.

That is very much true. I was just pointing out that pasteurization kills all bacteria... the majority of the time if there is bacteria present in milk then is is NOT good bacteria. Milk should be sterile coming out of the cow, unless it is contaminated at the nipple or if the cow has some sort of infection.

If it works for you then go for it!

--Edited because when I went back and read it, what I said could be seriously twisted around...
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm reading this while eating a big bowl of corn. Lol, sorry I couldn't resist. Carry on. :D
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It is always a good choice to eat REAL FOOD and to use our bodies the way we were designed to. I'm not a strict follower but I think there is a lot of valid points in the diet.
    Good luck!
    Cami
  • victoria4321
    Options

[/quote]

How so? You can buy heirloom varities of many fruits and veg plus theres more variety across the board. I know the quality is definitely down but it isnt has bad as grains. People get most of their grains in the most processed forms regular basis. I'm not deamonizing grains but you can do without them and probably be better off.
  • Rdahl2
    Rdahl2 Posts: 90
    Options
    I have tried the Paleo diet a while back and actually liked it. I felt so much better, more energy and so on. I now just try to follow a lean meat, more veggie diet and limit eating starches to once a week. I love my pasta and garlic bread..lol. :laugh:
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    The people making fools of themselves are those that believe that healthy grains, like brown rice, or whole wheat bread (especially bread made yourself) is any further from "natural" than eating veggies and lean meats. Rice is a staple in the diets of the most healthy people on the planet. And dwarf wheat saved an entire population from starvation. Eating naturally is a great thing, but grains are natural, if you eat them correctly. And if you people want performance, name me an endurance athlete that eats strictly paleo. You need carbs from grains to round out a balanced diet, especially if you are an endurance athlete. Whole wheat pasta, long grain brown rice, and natural multi-grain bread are vital contributors to a well-balanced diet. I've tried paleo. I've tried atkins, south beach, Mediterranean, you name it. If you want a total eating plan, try the Biggest Loser diet. No fads, no gimmicks, just sound nutritional advice based in real science, not "common sense" ethereal garbage.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

How so? You can buy heirloom varities of many fruits and veg plus theres more variety across the board. I know the quality is definitely down but it isnt has bad as grains. People get most of their grains in the most processed forms regular basis. I'm not deamonizing grains but you can do without them and probably be better off.

Why do you think paleolithic grains were any better than modern grains? And how, exactly, do you define "quality"?
  • victoria4321
    Options

That depends on your source and health of the cows. I've been using raw dairy for a while now. I have issues tolerating whole milk usually but i'm fine with it raw.

That is very much true. I was just pointing out that pasteurization doesn't kill the good bacteria... in most of the time if there is any bacteria present it is NOT good bacteria.

If it works for you then go for it!

Yeah the bigger issue is supoosed to be with the homogonization. People often boil raw milk as well. Thats what my parents said they did.
  • kellyarcand
    Options
    I stayed with it for about three weeks and lost 10 lbs of belly fat. My sister in law did the same thing and lost it inher belly also. I did have to add a multi grain back in to my diet because I stopped losing. Once I added that grain I started to lose again. I try to get most of my intake from protein, fruits and veggies as it says, but do use cheese and some whole grains. I've continued to lose. Use it to the best of your body, everyone is different and find what will work for you with it. Remember "You":smile: know your body best.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    The people making fools of themselves are those that believe that healthy grains, like brown rice, or whole wheat bread (especially bread made yourself) is any further from "natural" than eating veggies and lean meats. Rice is a staple in the diets of the most healthy people on the planet. And dwarf wheat saved an entire population from starvation. Eating naturally is a great thing, but grains are natural, if you eat them correctly. And if you people want performance, name me an endurance athlete that eats strictly paleo. You need carbs from grains to round out a balanced diet, especially if you are an endurance athlete. Whole wheat pasta, long grain brown rice, and natural multi-grain bread are vital contributors to a well-balanced diet. I've tried paleo. I've tried atkins, south beach, Mediterranean, you name it. If you want a total eating plan, try the Biggest Loser diet. No fads, no gimmicks, just sound nutritional advice based in real science, not "common sense" ethereal garbage.

so....if I feel better, sleep better and have more energy after I cut grains out of my diet, I should still eat them anyway because grains are "natural"?
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Why do you think paleolithic grains were any better than modern grains? And how, exactly, do you define "quality"?

Grains are mass produced today and sprayed with too many pesticides. We're also eating just one variety of grain for each type. An example would be with corn, we only grow yellow sweet corn but there are way more varieties available. Reproducing the same plant causes an imbalance in soil so we wouldnt be getting as many beneficial minerals as we would if the crops were rotated properly. Overexposure to the same thing can also cause intolerances in people as well.

I dont think grains in itself are bad but I dont think the grains we have access to are good.
  • blueroses_78
    Options
    I'm reading The Primal Blueprint right now, and I'm seriously considering the Paleo diet currently. It's really hard for me because I have two small kids who are incredibly picky eaters. I try to avoid grains, but it's difficult, that's for sure. Perhaps once I get through the book, I'll be able to find ways to make adjustments...any tips?
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Use it to the best of your body, everyone is different and find what will work for you with it. Remember "You":smile: know your body best.

Amen!! :smile:

:grumble: Haters gonna hate...

Look for professional help and do what best for you. If you feel better and have more energy continue doing what you are doing. Forget about what the "wise lords" of diets and fitness on a internet public forum says.
  • weathergirl320
    Options

so....if I feel better, sleep better and have more energy after I cut grains out of my diet, I should still eat them anyway because grains are "natural"?

Well duh. Because no matter what, you can still get the same nutrients in grains from fruits and vegetables. And nobody eats wheat off the field. It has to be processed and bleached and packaged and preserved to be palatable. So its not as natural as say, a carrot that I pick out of my garden and pop in my mouth. But no no grains are necessary for balance because....because.....because....well....that's what everybody says so it must be true.
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    No. You don't have to eat grains. But to say that cutting grains makes you sleep better, there is no scientific basis for that statement (unless you are loading up on toast and rice before you went to bed). I want you to point me to ONE study that can verify it. You can't, because it doesn't exist. Unless you have a gluten allergy. If that is the case, then by all means, knock out the grains. Some people are allergic. Other people are allergic to strawberries. I'm just saying that this Paleo thing isn't based in any sort of scientific reality. It's based mostly on anecdotal evidence from people who it works for. You get the same thing with Atkins, or any other diet. I'm saying that the science and history doesn't back up the claims of this diet. Paleo man had HORRIBLE teeth. Should we not use tooth paste?
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Grains are mass produced today and sprayed with too many pesticides. We're also eating just one variety of grain for each type. An example would be with corn, we only grow yellow sweet corn but there are way more varieties available. Reproducing the same plant causes an imbalance in soil so we wouldnt be getting as many beneficial minerals as we would if the crops were rotated properly. Overexposure to the same thing can also cause intolerances in people as well.

I dont think grains in itself are bad but I dont think the grains we have access to are good.

This applies to several commercial crops. Why single out grains?

What possible befit is there in limiting grains when you DON'T have an intolerance to them?