Paleo diet

Options

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm on neither side of this... I have felt both ways... Now, I just feel if you follow the food pyramid how can you go wrong?? Well balanced diet hasn't worked for people for hundreds of years?

The gov't threw out the food pyramid a couple years ago, it was not a good set of guidelines.

It has been updated to Myplate, which is much, much better. (Nutrition and Exercise is the First Lady's cause)
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% paleo M-F, but weekends are about 70/30. I Haven't been sick a single day since switching (I was the family sickey before) and have dropped 35 lbs since Feb. The only change was diet because I'm consistent in the exercise department already. I feel great, find it generally easy to follow, and most importantly. it makes SENSE. I fully believe this is the way that it's best for humans to eat. Feel free to add me!
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have a girlfriend

Not on topic, but that's hot.

Ok, back on topic.....
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    You need to tell us why there needs to be more research...
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options

Its what humans are meant to eat - not processed grass seeds.

Problem is, there is not much actual evidence that this part is true.
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    By the way, non-enriched wheat isn't "processed" either. It is reaped, cleaned, tempered, and ground. Enriched wheat has additives, which are not natural. You find this in WHITE BREAD for example. So, where's the processing you are talking about?
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The people making fools of themselves are those that believe that healthy grains, like brown rice, or whole wheat bread (especially bread made yourself) is any further from "natural" than eating veggies and lean meats. Rice is a staple in the diets of the most healthy people on the planet. And dwarf wheat saved an entire population from starvation. Eating naturally is a great thing, but grains are natural, if you eat them correctly. And if you people want performance, name me an endurance athlete that eats strictly paleo. You need carbs from grains to round out a balanced diet, especially if you are an endurance athlete. Whole wheat pasta, long grain brown rice, and natural multi-grain bread are vital contributors to a well-balanced diet. I've tried paleo. I've tried atkins, south beach, Mediterranean, you name it. If you want a total eating plan, try the Biggest Loser diet. No fads, no gimmicks, just sound nutritional advice based in real science, not "common sense" ethereal garbage.

so....if I feel better, sleep better and have more energy after I cut grains out of my diet, I should still eat them anyway because grains are "natural"?

And nobody eats wheat off the field. It has to be processed and bleached and packaged and preserved to be palatable.

Are you sure about that? Because I can find my grain mill, but I don't seem to have a bleacher, a packager, or preserver that apparently required to make my whole wheat palatable.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Remember people, most fad diets are just that...fads. Eat less. Do more. Go hard.

There is nothing faddy about eating lots of vegetables, meat, fish, eggs fruit. Its what humans are meant to eat - not processed grass seeds.
    Um, not necessarily. Some of us do, in fact, have intolerances to meat and eggs. I have no problems with grains (or legumes or dairy, for that matter). Why would I eliminate the things I can eat from my diet?
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do.
    I feel the best when I'm following it.
    I like the Whole 30 method best.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Remember people, most fad diets are just that...fads. Eat less. Do more. Go hard.

There is nothing faddy about eating lots of vegetables, meat, fish, eggs fruit. Its what humans are meant to eat - not processed grass seeds.

exactly....I just dont get how people want to label this as a fad. For me, getting away from most fast food and most over processed convenience foods is not a fad, It just seems like the right thing to do.

Yes, this exactly. I call it "paleo" because that's the accepted term used to describe it. What it IS, for me, is eating real foods, not processed, no hidden ingredients. I eat meat and veggies and fruits, eggs, (very little) dairy, a few nuts. If that is a "fad" or a "craze" then so be it. The difference in how I feel with and without grains and added sugars is nothing short of phenomenal. You can't really describe to someone how you felt "fine" before (never knowing that that wasn't actually "fine") and then how amazing you felt later. You think you feel good until you FEEL GREAT. You have to experience it for yourself.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I've always been curious as to why the anti-processing fad bandwagon hasn't turned their attention to water. Compared to food water is dowright horrifying (bottled watter (or other non-municipal source) is no better, and in many instances actually worse). There is a reason that up until about 200 years ago, beer was the safest liquid to drink. Even now though sanitation is one of mankinds great inventions it really is a lesser of two evils situation, water is full of bad things and we do bad things to it, but because of this it won't get you sick (right away); we can't afford to take the bad things out of it and have to put the bad things in it.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Um, not necessarily. Some of us do, in fact, have intolerances to meat and eggs. I have no problems with grains (or legumes or dairy, for that matter). Why would I eliminate the things I can eat from my diet?

you wouldn't.....congrats.
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    The people making fools of themselves are those that believe that healthy grains, like brown rice, or whole wheat bread (especially bread made yourself) is any further from "natural" than eating veggies and lean meats. Rice is a staple in the diets of the most healthy people on the planet. And dwarf wheat saved an entire population from starvation. Eating naturally is a great thing, but grains are natural, if you eat them correctly. And if you people want performance, name me an endurance athlete that eats strictly paleo. You need carbs from grains to round out a balanced diet, especially if you are an endurance athlete. Whole wheat pasta, long grain brown rice, and natural multi-grain bread are vital contributors to a well-balanced diet. I've tried paleo. I've tried atkins, south beach, Mediterranean, you name it. If you want a total eating plan, try the Biggest Loser diet. No fads, no gimmicks, just sound nutritional advice based in real science, not "common sense" ethereal garbage.

so....if I feel better, sleep better and have more energy after I cut grains out of my diet, I should still eat them anyway because grains are "natural"?

And nobody eats wheat off the field. It has to be processed and bleached and packaged and preserved to be palatable.

Are you sure about that? Because I can find my grain mill, but I don't seem to have a bleacher, a packager, or preserver that apparently required to make my whole wheat palatable.

Jay obviously doesn't have a clue as to how grains are harvested and "processed."
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

exactly....I just dont get how people want to label this as a fad. For me, getting away from most fast food and most over processed convenience foods is not a fad, It just seems like the right thing to do.

Yes, this exactly. I call it "paleo" because that's the accepted term used to describe it. What it IS, for me, is eating real foods, not processed, no hidden ingredients. I eat meat and veggies and fruits, eggs, (very little) dairy, a few nuts. If that is a "fad" or a "craze" then so be it. The difference in how I feel with and without grains and added sugars is nothing short of phenomenal. You can't really describe to someone how you felt "fine" before (never knowing that that wasn't actually "fine") and then how amazing you felt later. You think you feel good until you FEEL GREAT. You have to experience it for yourself.

yep...and people will still bash it....amazing....the heck with em.
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    The only "processing" done to an oat is that it is husked, washed, and baked. There isn't anything but water added in the process.

I said most not all. A for effort though.

By the way, non-enriched wheat isn't "processed" either. It is reaped, cleaned, tempered, and ground. Enriched wheat has additives, which are not natural. You find this in WHITE BREAD for example. So, where's the processing you are talking about?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I originally had pretty substantial issues with the paleo diet. Not because of the diet itself, but because of how many folks I knew or spoke with on it had a ridiculous superiority complex that was obnoxious as hell. I recognize that if you're following a diet paradigm you should be expected to think it's the best (otherwise why not do the one that's better?) but you don't have to be a ***** about it.

Since then I've met more than a few more moderate practicioners. They see it as a guideline or an ideal to work towards, but aren't extremist in their following of the diet, or in pushing said diet on others.

I think there are some very good things about Paleo. Eating lots of protein and fat and fibrous vegetables can really help with satiety. Eating nutrient dense foods is also a very good thing. I don't personally think that grains are the debil, but if you don't want to eat them more power to you.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    I originally had pretty substantial issues with the paleo diet. Not because of the diet itself, but because of how many folks I knew or spoke with on it had a ridiculous superiority complex that was obnoxious as hell. I recognize that if you're following a diet paradigm you should be expected to think it's the best (otherwise why not do the one that's better?) but you don't have to be a ***** about it.

Since then I've met more than a few more moderate practicioners. They see it as a guideline or an ideal to work towards, but aren't extremist in their following of the diet, or in pushing said diet on others.

I think there are some very good things about Paleo. Eating lots of protein and fat and fibrous vegetables can really help with satiety. Eating nutrient dense foods is also a very good thing. I don't personally think that grains are the debil, but if you don't want to eat them more power to you.

Amen!
  • onelilndn1978
    Options
    Started Paleo today as part of a two week cleanse. What I am concentrating on is the limiting of salt, sugar and grains. If it works, I'll try to stick to it. Kudos to all of you that are trying to clean up your diet.:smile:

People remeber that these posts are to help people with thier weight loss. Not to be come a p!ssing constest on different diets and who knows what.:frown:
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I truly wish Geico would bring back the TV caveman. He was funny.
    Lost 40 pounds in 8 months on a modified primal diet and lots of exercise. Try it, not much to lose except maybe some pounds. :wink: :wink:
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Best advice for anyone wanting to know anything about Paleo: use the handy search feature for the message boards. Posting a new topic just starts another debate that's been had about a hundred times.

That being said, paleo is no better than any other minimally processed, whole foods diet. If you're gluten intolerant I recommend it, if you're lactose intolerant I recommend it. Unless you have a specific health issue with a certain food, or like me you have a habit of binging on certain foods, there's no need to eliminate them. Moderation is the best approach.