Gym "guys"

Options
How many ppl have all the "gym guy" types at there gym ?? I have a few stories which are funny to me at least.

1. I went to the gym with my buddy , he got up from the bench and literally threw his weights on the floor... I looked at him and laughed and said.. What I wasn't paying enough attention to you ? You want everyone to see what your doing ??? he responded with "what ??" I said nothing it takes more effort to stand up with the weights and throw them looking for attention, next time try doing a few more reps and place them on the ground. He hasn't come with me to the gym since lol.

2. 5 ... 5 Somalian guys around 18-20 maybe, Only one of them really works out for the most part the other 4 just sit on random machines and talk the entire time... Yesterday I saw them do 1 set with maybe 10 reps on dumb bells and then they moved to the stretching area and just sat and talked, from there they went to the leg machines and again just sat and talked ... I just find it hilarious. Also their conversations are A) loud and B) always about how they beat some one up and kicked someones *kitten*...

3. The old guy hitting on the young girls.(he even has the creepy mustache). These 2 pretty girls where on inner thigh machines and this old guy just wouldn't stop hitting on em so much so my brother and I were in hysterics just cause A) the girls where on inner thigh machines and B) we couldn't hear them but I was doing a monolog. Forgot to add the girls where maybe 18-19 the dude was 45 +

Anyways tell me some more stories or better throw up some youtube links if you have some to make me laugh

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The curlbro -

You never see him working lower body, only chest and arms. He's always either on the bench or doing some variation of the bicep curl. His legs are probably not as big as his arms.

The chin monkey -

He hogs up the power rack for 45 minutes to do like 20 different weighted variations of the pullup/chinup. His sets are like 30 seconds long while his rest periods are like 50 minutes. But because he's got his crap everywhere including his tupperware full of chalk, nobody can work in with him.

The cardio queen -

She's thin as a rail and comes to the gym only to use the cardio machines. She'll go on the treadmill or elliptical for about an hour at a moderate intensity and call it a day.

The attention *kitten* -

She comes to the gym with her makeup done and her gym garb is something that looks more like something a fitness model would wear for a magazine shoot than legitimately work out in. She does't use free weights, only machines, does one or two sets at 3 or 4 different machines, (not high intensity) and then goes to a cardio machine for 20-30 minutes at moderate intensity (not enough to sweat). You get the strong impression she's there to get guys, not to legitimately work out.

Ms. "All Business" -

This one I like. She comes to the gym in a beat up t-shirt or tank top and some generic workout pants. She doesn't have her makeup done. She doesn't bother with machines. She goes straight to the free weights after her warmup and spends the next hour or so going through a series of resistance workouts you typically don't see women doing, moving poundages that could give a lot of the guys a run for their money. Half the guys in the gym have massive crushes on her but nobody will approach her because the intensity with which she goes at her workouts gives off an air that says "OFF LIMITS! I'M HERE TO GET STUFF DONE!"
  • drewols
    drewols Posts: 77
    Options
    The curlbro is especially great when doing bicep curls at the squat rack
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    have several variations of the curlbro. my favorite is the 45-50 yr old guy who is about 5'6" and 160 lbs. Spindly little legs, soft belly (not big, just soft), small shoulders and some good sized biceps. T-shirt, jean shorts with belt, socks pulled up to his knees... All I ever see him do is pound out 10-15 reps of dumbbell bicep curls in the mirror, rest for 5-10 minutes, and do another set, then rest, then... Only bicep curls.

The treadmill master....standing on the sides, off the belt, he cranks it up to max speed, takes a firm grip of the arm guard rails, locks his elbows and jumps on. Legs are flailing away to keep up with belt, but all his weight is on his arms. He can run so fast...

There are a couple guys who try to move as much weight as possible, regardless of form or workout. Why load 900-1000 lbs on the incline sled leg press and then lower it only about 3-4 inches? Any further would probably blow both his knees out, but maybe half that load and a full range of motion would be a better workout? Same guy grabs the 80 lb dumbbells to do a shoulder press, but arches his back so badly in the chair that he is really doing a incline press.

The screamer.... you know the guy. Obviously screaming a guttural roar makes the weight easier to move.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Guys using their cell phones, for stuff not related to music, in the room or during their "rest period" between sets bothers me. Morons.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My version of the treamill master: Super-skinny older guy who cranks the incline up to max, then hangs on to the front of the machine for dear life while leaning waaay back. I see him every time I'm at the gym. He stays on thing thing for hours!
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    the guy who brings his girlfriend to the gym.. he works out and she stands over him chatting and giggling..
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    There is a major curbho in my gym ...All he does is hammer curls and then he goes to the cable machine and tries to tri press all the plates...He can't even pull the whole thing down...he just presses 2 inches ...he looks like he is dog dry humping the cable machine...
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Ms. "All Business" -

This one I like. She comes to the gym in a beat up t-shirt or tank top and some generic workout pants. She doesn't have her makeup done. She doesn't bother with machines. She goes straight to the free weights after her warmup and spends the next hour or so going through a series of resistance workouts you typically don't see women doing, moving poundages that could give a lot of the guys a run for their money. Half the guys in the gym have massive crushes on her but nobody will approach her because the intensity with which she goes at her workouts gives off an air that says "OFF LIMITS! I'M HERE TO GET STUFF DONE!"

When I saw the title "Ms. All Business" I was like "oh, ****! That's me!"

Whew! I was glad to hear it's a good thing :)

I hit the gym in hot pants and a worn out t-shirt that says "METAL: they don't feel pain and they can't be reasoned with." Hit the elliptical for 10 minutes at a heart rate > 160, then spend the next 80 minutes lifting heavy, doing chin ups, and then cool down with some yoga stretching :)
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The curlbro is especially great when doing bicep curls at the squat rack

THIS. is the single most annoying thing at ANY gym.

You're not doing squats? Please go away. They have benches for you. I'm at the gym alone and want to do squats. K bye.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Guys using their cell phones, for stuff not related to music, in the room or during their "rest period" between sets bothers me. Morons.

uh-oh! I use my phone in between sets to log my weights on MFP! Doh!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    we had a guy we called bench press, that's the only lift he did. he had huge arms and big pecks, but the rest of him was scrawny. we looked like a freak.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Everybody at the gym annoys me

That is why I workout at home.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I like Planet Fitness....dumbbells only go to 60 or 65lbs...so no meat heads in the Gym....

At my local PF, there's a guy, got to be 6'1....maybe 135, skinny as a rail....wears a weight belt down to the last notch, does a set of triceps dips on the assist machine, then poses in front of the mirror checking em out....

Most annoying question in the gym: "what do you bench"
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    the north dmz guys:
    the guys that never cross the demilitarized zoned and stay in the north. always in the cardio machines. these guys are usually the older + bigger guys that have not realized the huuuuge benefit that lifting weights provides. needless to say you never really see any change in them.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I took a cardio class with a trainer. She was very good and I loved the classes. We worked hard and had a lot of fun. There was one guy that had a hard time getting there because of his work/traffic schedule. His name was ****. He would show up late, and sometimes miss the class. One day one of the other members showed up late and the trainer asked "what are you pulling a ****?" Silence fell on the gym.

I think that gym is funny - and part of that is because of me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/a-day-at-the-gym-with-a-nerd-175091
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the "talker." The one person who,whenever you're there working out, whether you're busting your *kitten* at the free weights or running your *kitten* off on the treadmill, beelines to come talk. Not just talk and say hello, but have a lengthy conversation. You duck your head hoping they don't see you...But they always do. And the entire time you're there, they chat it up with EVERYONE. No working out. Just talking. And no, they don't work there, lol!
  • tyj247
    tyj247 Posts: 18
    Options
    Ms. "All Business" -

Ok, I think I'm a borderline Ms. "All Business". I use free weights, kettlebells, maybe one of two weight machines for about 25-30 minutes, then I'm on the treadmill running for about 30-45 minutes. I have cute-ish workout clothes that I got for cheap at Target and Walmart but absolutely NO MAKEUP. Why bother, when in the first 5 minutes I'll be sweating it off? Trust me, that irks us women too. If you didn't come to sweat, what the hell are you here for??

Also, men that do a set of about 5 reps of 1000lbs for all of 20 seconds then rest and hog the fricking machine for about 15 minutes before doing another set. Sir, you're in my way and trust me, no one is impressed. Move along and let me work it. Please and thank you.
  • bubulka
    bubulka Posts: 4
    Options
    I love all the stories. I am work free weights but sometimes I have to stand off a little because all the big armed, chicken thin leg guys have the area packed. They are looking at themselves in the mirror (and not lifting). They are always telling storys about girls (I cleaned it up) and how they would do this or that. The language they use is terrible. I know I am older than them but if they wanted to impress a real girl, they won't talk that way or act that way.

We seem to have packs of guys showing up at the gym lately that one guy is teaching the other guy. They spend a lot of time showing them how everything works and how they do this all the time. (Really, because I thought you'd see more results?) But it turns into a big bull**** story of how they can get anyone they want.

We have a Gym "Lady" also, I mean if I had known I was suppose to have matching hoop earrings to my workout outfit, I probably won't have joined that gym. She looks good but I am guessing it's genetic because she doesn't put in any sweat.
    I read somewhere that if you still look "cutie" after a workout, you didn't really workout.

I thought it was only my gym with these types but glad to see everyone has them also!!
  • bubulka
    bubulka Posts: 4
    Options
    I have an older lady that does that, and she stays a long time. She is always on the only running trendmill the gym has, its so frustrating.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    all of this is wonderful right now... and keeping me entertained at work :laugh: