Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Gym "guys"

Replies

• when I first started going to the gym I wasn't worried about looking like crap in front of all the guys or anything because I figured they would be looking at or watching the small skinny attractive gurls, but nope they can't seem to keep their eyes off of my *kitten* everytime I go lol
  • ChristySeeksBalance
    ChristySeeksBalance Posts: 43 Member
    Overheard a guy telling his workout partner this yesterday:

"You know, I don't really care if I can bench ###. I just want to LOOK like I could bench ###!" :laugh:
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    I must be in a snitchy mood today. Usually I'm all up in stuff like this, and today I find this post depressing, in a "damn...what are people saying about my fat *kitten* at the gym" kind of way.

Someone help me get this stick out of my nether regions, merci beaucoup.

There I think it's starting to move some yep it came out.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member

"You know, I don't really care if I can bench ###. I just want to LOOK like I could bench ###!" :laugh:

is that bad? Thats my school of thought...........
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member

is that bad? Thats my school of thought...........
    I wouldn't say it's good or bad. You have those who train for size and those who train for strength. Each camp is mostly gonna thin they're superior to the other, from my experience.
  • jerknoir
    jerknoir Posts: 96 Member
    Pretty sure if I had the monies for a gym membership, I'd be Obnoxiously-Loud-Death-Metal Guy.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Ms. "All Business" -

This one I like. She comes to the gym in a beat up t-shirt or tank top and some generic workout pants. She doesn't have her makeup done. She doesn't bother with machines. She goes straight to the free weights after her warmup and spends the next hour or so going through a series of resistance workouts you typically don't see women doing, moving poundages that could give a lot of the guys a run for their money. Half the guys in the gym have massive crushes on her but nobody will approach her because the intensity with which she goes at her workouts gives off an air that says "OFF LIMITS! I'M HERE TO GET STUFF DONE!"

Pahhahahaha This is me so hard. I'm glad we are a 'type'. I am not alone! Ms. All Businesses Unite!

I'm with you!! I didn't realize that I was a "type" either! There aren't many of us at the community center I workout at.

We need rings or something.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Here's what I see at my gym

- The Dumbbell Dropper - That guy that doesn't even try to set the dumbbells on the floor with any effort, and just drops them from 2 ft up. "Yah.... I'm not impressed buddy. If you can pick them up, and do a set with them, then you can set them down like the rest of us. If I can do it with heavier dumbbells than you're using, then so can you!"

- The Swinger - These guys like to stand right in front of the DB rack, mere inches from the mirror, and using DBs that are too heavy, proceed to swing them like a wild ape... thinking they're doing curls. "Yah, all that momentum builds monster biceps, Tarzan."

- The Supersetter - This guy likes to lay claim to the power cage, an incline bench w/ DBs, and the Bench Press... all at once. "Sure, the rest of us will wait while you hog 3 sets of equipment for your personal SuperSet workout. Take your time, buddy, we'll all just wait for you."

- The De-Racker - We all know this guy... he likes to load up the bar, or grab sets of dumbbells, or load all of the 45s on the Leg Press, but NEVER Re-Racks his weights. "Yah buddy, your mom is right behind you, picking up your mess. Don't worry about the rest of us who expect the weights to be put back where they belong so we can use them as well. You just do your own thang."

YES! I HATE the Supersetter!!
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member

Ms. "All Business" -

This one I like. She comes to the gym in a beat up t-shirt or tank top and some generic workout pants. She doesn't have her makeup done. She doesn't bother with machines. She goes straight to the free weights after her warmup and spends the next hour or so going through a series of resistance workouts you typically don't see women doing, moving poundages that could give a lot of the guys a run for their money. Half the guys in the gym have massive crushes on her but nobody will approach her because the intensity with which she goes at her workouts gives off an air that says "OFF LIMITS! I'M HERE TO GET STUFF DONE!"

That used to be me :( There'd be 20+ guys in the weights area and me. The gym regular bodybuilder chatty guy told me I had great form once. awwww I blushed.
    I wear Lululemon gym clothes - they fit magically, make you look hot as ****, don't ride up and the tops are long enough to hide your butt and crotch when bending over. Well worth the money you pay. Sadly I put on 10kgs in the past year and the gyms in my hometown SUCK so that ain't me anymore.

Teenage guys who must be in pre-season football (aussie rules) training or something. They come in packs for a few weeks. They are skinny and pale and half hearted. I lift heavier weights and try harder and I'm a little girl.

Two or three teenage girls with 'a leader' who prance about checking themselves out taking up the entire gym floor with their walking lunges. The leader will instruct them which exercises to do but as soon as they notice the teenage boys, the intensity stops because I guess they don't want to sweat in front of them.

The old man in short legged high waisted trousers (or high waisted shorts), a white wifebasher tucked in and pulled up socks and old woman in a blouse and slacks doing machine weights with no actual weight on them.

Hyenas. Groups of 2-3 of guys who scream and grunt and drop their weights down ruining the floor (and who like someone else noticed, leap up shouting and walk in a circle after a set). Usually accompanied by a protein shake. My exbf used to be able to lift DOUBLE what they could (he couldn't find a gym that had heavy enough free weights because he had outlifted them all yeesh) yet never made a sound and except for noticing that there was a hottie in the midst, you wouldn't even know he was there. Unlike the hyenas.

The Class Regular. Generally spotted in Pump class. The girl who is usually about a size 12-14 (so not rail thin or muscular), who uses a bar and weights heavier than the instructor and who goes so often she could lead the class blindfolded if not for her very, very, very poor form. Of COURSE you can do the entire leg track with heavier weights than the instructor love, you aren't doing squats, you are simply leaning forward from the hips. Seriously, it's better to have correct form and a lighter weight and stop for a few reps mid-song to rest than to have heavy weights, be able to finish the track but you aren't actually doing the exercise.

The NY Resolutioners who pack into the gym through Jan and Feb taking up every cardio machine and machine weight, who are bright red with hair a-flying, with poor technique who mysteriously disappear once the realisation that losing weight is hard kicks in. On gym memberships, there should be a box 'Are you losing weight as a New Years Resolution?' If yes, they should be put in a different area of the gym or actually guided by a trainer. The money gyms must make off NYR's would be insane.

The girl on the treadmill who walks slower than she does in her local shopping centre on 0incline for 45minutes wondering why she doesn't lose weight.

The person who sits on their machine/bench in between sets. But the rest is 4 minutes long. Particularly annoying when EVERY bench is taken and CLEARLY you are waiting. Working in doesn't appear to be a universal concept.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    There is this one guy that my brother and I nicknamed 'Peacock' in our gym.

He is covered in tattoos, has a shaved head and looks like he just got out of jail. I see him at the gym every single time I go so god knows how many times he goes.

He is always looking around to see who is checking him out. I never see him working on his legs, always upper body stuff. If he isn't working out, then he is walking verrry slowly around the gym with his chest puffed out, scanning the room.

I just ignore him. If he has a friend with him, I pretend as if I am checking out his friend instead. :P
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    I'm tired of hot girl doing nothing in the free weights section. I go to a military gym, and I -hate- having to look at some girl doing body weight abs on a bench by the dumbells.

There's a fricking abs area downstairs with mats and benches. Why are you doing abs over here? Why are your shorts so short? I have to see your cooter too, and I am DISAPPOINTED IN YOUR SHAVE.

--

I'm so busy trying not to stare at her stupid open leg V crunches that I get a crick in my neck. She's trying to kill me.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    I'm tired of hot girl doing nothing in the free weights section. I go to a military gym, and I -hate- having to look at some girl doing body weight abs on a bench by the dumbells.

There's a fricking abs area downstairs with mats and benches. Why are you doing abs over here? Why are your shorts so short? I have to see your cooter too, and I am DISAPPOINTED IN YOUR SHAVE.

--

I'm so busy trying not to stare at her stupid open leg V crunches that I get a crick in my neck. She's trying to kill me.

hahahaha... yes she is def trying to kill you lol
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member

YES! I HATE the Supersetter!!

Just hop on the equipment they aren't using that very second if you need to. Haven't ran into anyone that wasn't cool about it.

I'm frequently amused by the dudes that carry around tubs of supplements to the gym, along with 1-2 blender bottles and a gallon jug of water.

But also annoying is the Passive Aggressive Waiter.

In the example of a busy gym, you're using a station and sticking near it during your rest period. The entire time you get the stinkeye from someone milling around.

Buddy, if you want to work in, all you have to do is say something!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    The Roid Rager:
    A few days ago there was a guy on a fly machine next to me. He walks away for a while, another guys gets on and starts working out on it. Well the original guy comes back a couple minutes later and was like "Yo, man I wasn't done with that yet." The guy using the machine just said "That's cool, sorry man" and steps aside so he can finish up. All of the sudden the original guy just gets pissed and starts yelling to himself incoherently, not necessarily directed at the other guy, I couldn't tell what he was so upset about. This went on for a couple minutes, he didn't even get back on the machine, he just paced around for a while and then stormed out the door. Everyone around was just like WTF??

The Sexy Stretcher:
    There's a few very attractive girls at my gym that will wear these very skimpy and/or partially see-thru outfits and spend what seems like hours stretching very provocatively on the mats. The whole time I'm just trying not to stare and drool all over myself. They may do a cardio machine once in a while or lift some dumbells, but mostly I only see them stretch.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Very funny thread, made my day. So many great caricatures. I dare not say which caricature I am.
    I'll just add two:

The Grunter

We aren't talking grunts to get the last one or two reps done. We are talking full on grunt for every single rep of every single exercise. I don't use an iPod while training so I occasionally have this lovely aural assault going on just as I'm trying to concentrate before putting somegthing very heavy on my back.

The Smith Machine Moron

You've seen him (invariably it is a him). Comes into the gym, first thing he does is load up 225 lbs on the Smith and then squats all of about 10 inches. "Look at me, I can squat 225 lbs WITH EASE, people". And then he leaves the plate on the bar and walks away...
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    i'm not OCD at all....except at the gym when it comes to plates laying eveywhere or put away wrong. and my gym is terrible for this. i'm constantly rearranging them in between sets. so i guess i'm THAT guy whatever you want to call him. "The OCD plate putter-awayer"

You're a good man. We need more "OCD plate putter-awayer" types. Confession, I'm the same way. I am usually in the gym later in the evening and by that time the place looks like a tornado has gone through. Nice and orderly, that's the way a gym should be!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Guys using their cell phones, for stuff not related to music, in the room or during their "rest period" between sets bothers me. Morons.

I run the StrongLifts 5x5 app on my phone to track the workout and time my rests between sets. Thanks for assuming I'm a moron for using my phone for something other than music. :tongue:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    i'm not OCD at all....except at the gym when it comes to plates laying eveywhere or put away wrong. and my gym is terrible for this. i'm constantly rearranging them in between sets. so i guess i'm THAT guy whatever you want to call him. "The OCD plate putter-awayer"

You're a good man. We need more "OCD plate putter-awayer" types. Confession, I'm the same way. I am usually in the gym later in the evening and by that time the place looks like a tornado has gone through. Nice and orderly, that's the way a gym should be!

My wife does that. She gets to the squat rack and spends 5 minutes fixing the weights.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    My favorite:

The "strong" guy. Loads up as much weight as possible, does 1/4 reps of everything and screaming on each and every rep..................and looks like ****.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,284 Member
    To the O.P. I like how Race is only mentioned when they are Black. :laugh: :noway: