Gym "guys"

Options

Replies

• iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    hahaha LMBO!!! Thanks for these!!! And checking to make sure that I don't do these things at the gym!!! ***adjusts halo***

Ok I got one!! There's a group of older folks that come in each morning to drink coffee and EAT DONUTS while they sit around and watch the rest of us workout. One day...I swear I'm gonna do it....I'm gonna go grab a donut from one of them and eat it!!!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I do most of my exercising in one of the two pools at my gym. We have a cold pool with lap lanes and a warm pool usually used for people with injury, arthritis or that maybe aren't doing traditional laps, thus that pool isn't divided into lanes. The cold pool isn't really the problem though they can be a bit rude if you're not using your lap to swim but instead are walking or running or some other variation of lap exercise. The problem is what I call the "floaters."

Floaters: typically middle age to older women who grab a water noodle and spend an hour or more floating with minimal movement then get out of the pool declaring that a good workout or seem incensed when they have floated into your lane and have to move so you can keep doing your exercises.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I would be willing to bet we are all some sort of gym "person"
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My version of the treamill master: Super-skinny older guy who cranks the incline up to max, then hangs on to the front of the machine for dear life while leaning waaay back. I see him every time I'm at the gym. He stays on thing thing for hours!

I didn't see you at my gym because I was distracted by him too.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    I must be in a snitchy mood today. Usually I'm all up in stuff like this, and today I find this post depressing, in a "damn...what are people saying about my fat *kitten* at the gym" kind of way.

Someone help me get this stick out of my nether regions, merci beaucoup.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

Ms. "All Business" -

This one I like. She comes to the gym in a beat up t-shirt or tank top and some generic workout pants. She doesn't have her makeup done. She doesn't bother with machines. She goes straight to the free weights after her warmup and spends the next hour or so going through a series of resistance workouts you typically don't see women doing, moving poundages that could give a lot of the guys a run for their money. Half the guys in the gym have massive crushes on her but nobody will approach her because the intensity with which she goes at her workouts gives off an air that says "OFF LIMITS! I'M HERE TO GET STUFF DONE!"

When I saw the title "Ms. All Business" I was like "oh, ****! That's me!"

Whew! I was glad to hear it's a good thing :)

I hit the gym in hot pants and a worn out t-shirt that says "METAL: they don't feel pain and they can't be reasoned with." Hit the elliptical for 10 minutes at a heart rate > 160, then spend the next 80 minutes lifting heavy, doing chin ups, and then cool down with some yoga stretching :)

hahah I got nervous as all hell too! I was like OH MAN i'm "that" girl! I go straight for the free weights and rock some DLs, thrusters, presses, squats front and back, cleans, etc. and run when i'm at home outside
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    the "dudes" that annoy me are the ones that curl light weight really fast to get a swell on and then walk around in their sleeveless shirts
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    How about Olympic Bar Curl at Squat Rack guy? The person has dumb bells, free weights, machines and bars with weights on em in straight and EZ curl versions, and still wants to do curls on a 45lb olympic bar with 2 10 pound weights on em. WTF??!?!?!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    The boyfriend/girlfriend. So annoying. The guy was attempting to train his girlfriend with some free weights, he's showing off for her.. bumping into anyone within a few feet of him because he's obviously the only one there that matters. She's giggling, complaining about heavy weights and their talking about doing it later and OMG I wanted to scream. And they weren't whispering. I am ALL BUSINESS when i am at the gym, I'm not there to chit chat or flirt.
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I go to an engineering school (see also: nerds). The gym at my school is free to students/faculty, so I've seen everything. Mostly, it's just scrawny boys actually trying to get healthier, but there are also the usual gym stereotypes. The worst people are the sorority girls. I swear I saw half of a sorority walk in at once, all with matching pink water bottles, makeup done, wearing as little clothes as possible. They sat and gossiped on the mats for about 20 minutes, did 10 minutes of elliptical/treadmill/bike, did 10 reps on the ab machine, and walked out without even breaking a sweat.

Then there are the guys who obviously did sports in high school, but don't anymore. They do one set, walk to the water fountain and talk to their friends for 10 minutes, and do another set. You only ever hear them talk about protein and getting jacked.

But the creepiest type, by far, are the ancient professors who decide it's okay to run or go on the elliptical in short shorts and a crop top. It's especially creepy when you've had them as a professor. Physics 2 was awkward.
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The most annoying person at my gym is the 45+ year old divorcee, who tries to act 'All Business' but hits on every guy in the gym. She talks about how every female in the gym is jealous of her arms, so that's why she only talks to guys. I've seen her leave the parking lot with several different guys. There is just an 'ick' factor.
  • Tbarr3000
    Tbarr3000 Posts: 9
    Options
    We have a small gym at work. There is a guy there I call American Idol. He sings loudly and proudly. He is terrible though. I am not even sure he is singing in English. He will do a set, grunting the whole time, and then strut in front of the mirror. I was sure he was going to kiss himself one day. The grunting starts at rep 1. I have seen the guy grunt after 1 push up. He had been in the gym for like a minute.

There is another guy there that grunts with everything he does. Even on the stationary bike. Our dumbbells go up to 75lbs. I have seen them both lifting 50-60lb dumbbells grunting away while the person next to them is using 75lbers and not making a sound.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

The cardio queen -

She's thin as a rail and comes to the gym only to use the cardio machines. She'll go on the treadmill or elliptical for about an hour at a moderate intensity and call it a day.

During competition prep I am at the gym twice a day and once is for an hour of cardio are lower intensity. I often wondering if people assumed this about me.

Ms. "All Business" -

This one I like. She comes to the gym in a beat up t-shirt or tank top and some generic workout pants. She doesn't have her makeup done. She doesn't bother with machines. She goes straight to the free weights after her warmup and spends the next hour or so going through a series of resistance workouts you typically don't see women doing, moving poundages that could give a lot of the guys a run for their money. Half the guys in the gym have massive crushes on her but nobody will approach her because the intensity with which she goes at her workouts gives off an air that says "OFF LIMITS! I'M HERE TO GET STUFF DONE!"

So does the fact that I wear lululemon make me less of Ms All Business? I can still be all business regardless of what I am wearing.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Here's what I see at my gym

- The Dumbbell Dropper - That guy that doesn't even try to set the dumbbells on the floor with any effort, and just drops them from 2 ft up. "Yah.... I'm not impressed buddy. If you can pick them up, and do a set with them, then you can set them down like the rest of us. If I can do it with heavier dumbbells than you're using, then so can you!"

- The Swinger - These guys like to stand right in front of the DB rack, mere inches from the mirror, and using DBs that are too heavy, proceed to swing them like a wild ape... thinking they're doing curls. "Yah, all that momentum builds monster biceps, Tarzan."

- The Supersetter - This guy likes to lay claim to the power cage, an incline bench w/ DBs, and the Bench Press... all at once. "Sure, the rest of us will wait while you hog 3 sets of equipment for your personal SuperSet workout. Take your time, buddy, we'll all just wait for you."

- The De-Racker - We all know this guy... he likes to load up the bar, or grab sets of dumbbells, or load all of the 45s on the Leg Press, but NEVER Re-Racks his weights. "Yah buddy, your mom is right behind you, picking up your mess. Don't worry about the rest of us who expect the weights to be put back where they belong so we can use them as well. You just do your own thang."
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

- The De-Racker - We all know this guy... he likes to load up the bar, or grab sets of dumbbells, or load all of the 45s on the Leg Press, but NEVER Re-Racks his weights. "Yah buddy, your mom is right behind you, picking up your mess. Don't worry about the rest of us who expect the weights to be put back where they belong so we can use them as well. You just do your own thang."

i'm not OCD at all....except at the gym when it comes to plates laying eveywhere or put away wrong. and my gym is terrible for this. i'm constantly rearranging them in between sets. so i guess i'm THAT guy whatever you want to call him. "The OCD plate putter-awayer"
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I was always endeared by this guy at my school gym who was always noisy during a workout and a little over-the-top as well (don't get me wrong, he was pushing some pretty good weights). But then one day, I saw him going to do pull-ups and kipped every single one like a salmon in mating season.

I've been heartbroken ever since.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    bumb
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

So does the fact that I wear lululemon make me less of Ms All Business? I can still be all business regardless of what I am wearing.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

These topics can be funny sometimes, but usually I feel like they are waaaay too judgmental. Earlier today I replied to a post where a woman was worried about what other people thought about her at the gym. I guess I lied to her because I told her that people come to the gym to improve themselves, not judge others. And then this topic shows up. Where we judge people by if their clothes are too nice(?!?!), if they talk to their friends, if the woman didn't take off her makeup after leaving work, if they use too much or too little weight, if they are trying hard enough on the cardio machines, and if they deign to do anything in the squat rack besides squat (what, they have a dedicated deadlift station at your gym? I thought not.)

I apologize for being all Davey Downer, it's just that I don't even notice most of these other GymGuys because I'm too busy getting my money's worth when I'm at the gym. I'm in, I'm out (and I'm doing curls at your blessed squat rack too) But perhaps "Tsk, Tsk," is a cool new workout that I haven't heard of yet.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    The fact that every girl laughs at guys who are working out wrong, and the ones that throw the weights down. WTF are you doing?? Throwing the weights down makes you look like a dumbass and working out wrong is just going to hurt yourself and make you look like crap like you already do. And oh yes, the old guys hitting on all the ladies. And yes the little boys that are trying to show off for the cougars hahahaha