Gym "guys"

Options

Replies

• Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    These are so funny! I'm even less inclined to go to a gym now! I can't imagine what people would say about me.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    To the O.P. I like how Race is only mentioned when they are Black. :laugh: :noway:

Maybe they are Japanese-Somalian and he recognizes the accent.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    That's great. I love this thread. :laugh:

I'm almost an "all business woman." I'm there only for a max of one hour, maybe an hour and a half if my trainer is talking to me.
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    - The De-Racker - We all know this guy... he likes to load up the bar, or grab sets of dumbbells, or load all of the 45s on the Leg Press, but NEVER Re-Racks his weights. "Yah buddy, your mom is right behind you, picking up your mess. Don't worry about the rest of us who expect the weights to be put back where they belong so we can use them as well. You just do your own thang."

Yep this all the time, like I want to unload 15 45 plates to do my workout on the leg press
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    To the O.P. I like how Race is only mentioned when they are Black. :laugh: :noway:

Maybe they are Japanese-Somalian and he recognizes the accent.

hahaha....errr so the O.P is now a blind guy at the gym? :laugh:
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    My version of the treamill master: Super-skinny older guy who cranks the incline up to max, then hangs on to the front of the machine for dear life while leaning waaay back. I see him every time I'm at the gym. He stays on thing thing for hours!

LMAO!! I see that SO many times at my gym! :laugh: I'm thinking if it's too fast or high for you to walk/run without holding on, you need to decrease.
  • Jamie571
    Jamie571 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ms. "All Business" -

This one I like. She comes to the gym in a beat up t-shirt or tank top and some generic workout pants. She doesn't have her makeup done. She doesn't bother with machines. She goes straight to the free weights after her warmup and spends the next hour or so going through a series of resistance workouts you typically don't see women doing, moving poundages that could give a lot of the guys a run for their money. Half the guys in the gym have massive crushes on her but nobody will approach her because the intensity with which she goes at her workouts gives off an air that says "OFF LIMITS! I'M HERE TO GET STUFF DONE!"

I'm glad to know that is a good thing. Although most days I do have my makeup done as I am coming straight from work but on days where I go early in the morning there is no makeup. I just sweat it off in the first 5 minutes. :smile:

I may not spend an hour lifting but I get the most I can out of the 30 minutes I do have. It seems to be working for me as I have lost 22 pounds, just as many inches and dropped by body fat from 27% to 20% over the course of the past few months. I wish there were more Ms. "All Business" at the gym. It gets aggrivating seeing women in the gym who are afraid of the free weights. They don't bite and they do wonderful things for your body. :flowerforyou:
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Overheard a guy telling his workout partner this yesterday:

"You know, I don't really care if I can bench ###. I just want to LOOK like I could bench ###!" :laugh:

I watch guys at the gym lift and some look like they can lift alot and can't lift much....but others look like they can't lift as much and they blow me away with their lifts.......
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Overheard a guy telling his workout partner this yesterday:

"You know, I don't really care if I can bench ###. I just want to LOOK like I could bench ###!" :laugh:

I watch guys at the gym lift and some look like they can lift alot and can't lift much....but others look like they can't lift as much and they blow me away with their lifts.......

You've discovered the difference between people doing strength training and bodybuilders. =)
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    At my gym there's a guy who just follows other people around and do whatever they do, except he will only complete about 3 reps before he's done.

Then there's the "Chatters": the gossiping ladies who walk on the treadmill only fast enough that it doesn't hinder them from talking about how they can't believe Susan let her daughter get a tattoo or about the lastest Real Housewives episode. I'm sure they only burn approx 100 calories in that 45 minute span.

The other people that annoy me are the members who come to the gym DRENCHED in cologne or perfume causing me to sneeze continuously. I don't want people to come to the gym smelling like onions but, please respect others' allergies.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My work gym has some awesome ones -

1. Guys who don't change into workout clothes (not even shoes) and walk slowly on treadmill, or ride slowly on the recumbent bike for an hour.

2. Sweaty guy who wears clothes 2-3 days in a row.

3. Guy trying to get work done and turns off the radio for the whole gym so he can "work" while he hits that elliptical for an hour.

4. Guy who fell asleep doing crunches.
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    The boyfriend/girlfriend. So annoying. The guy was attempting to train his girlfriend with some free weights, he's showing off for her.. bumping into anyone within a few feet of him because he's obviously the only one there that matters. She's giggling, complaining about heavy weights and their talking about doing it later and OMG I wanted to scream. And they weren't whispering. I am ALL BUSINESS when i am at the gym, I'm not there to chit chat or flirt.

I agree completely. My boyfriend and I work out together but I'm all business when I'm there. If he tries to talk to me or touch me I get super annoyed and tell him to go away or leave if he isn't there to work out. It might be harsh, but I want to get in, do my thing and leave... we have plenty of time to "hang out" later.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Creepy guy here .... ... Sorry had to look .....

1)the chatters in walking in the running lanes, we have a walking lane
    2)stiff arm upper body supporters on the stair climbers feet going like h**l but no weight on them
    3)the guy who uses the handicap auto door opener to get in to the building where the gym is. .. Really?
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

So does the fact that I wear lululemon make me less of Ms All Business? I can still be all business regardless of what I am wearing.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

These topics can be funny sometimes, but usually I feel like they are waaaay too judgmental. Earlier today I replied to a post where a woman was worried about what other people thought about her at the gym. I guess I lied to her because I told her that people come to the gym to improve themselves, not judge others. And then this topic shows up. Where we judge people by if their clothes are too nice(?!?!), if they talk to their friends, if the woman didn't take off her makeup after leaving work, if they use too much or too little weight, if they are trying hard enough on the cardio machines, and if they deign to do anything in the squat rack besides squat (what, they have a dedicated deadlift station at your gym? I thought not.)

I apologize for being all Davey Downer, it's just that I don't even notice most of these other GymGuys because I'm too busy getting my money's worth when I'm at the gym. I'm in, I'm out (and I'm doing curls at your blessed squat rack too) But perhaps "Tsk, Tsk," is a cool new workout that I haven't heard of yet.

Actually, I do notice most of the other people in the gym because I'm looking to them for inspiration to push myself harder (if I want to look as fit as they do, I have to push). So I have noticed that, based on their behavior, there are one or two who are only there to get attention, IMO, not to better themselves.
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ms. "All Business" -

This one I like. She comes to the gym in a beat up t-shirt or tank top and some generic workout pants. She doesn't have her makeup done. She doesn't bother with machines. She goes straight to the free weights after her warmup and spends the next hour or so going through a series of resistance workouts you typically don't see women doing, moving poundages that could give a lot of the guys a run for their money. Half the guys in the gym have massive crushes on her but nobody will approach her because the intensity with which she goes at her workouts gives off an air that says "OFF LIMITS! I'M HERE TO GET STUFF DONE!"

I'd like to think I'm HER! :) The only difference is that since I spend so much time at the gym, I bother to buy cute gym clothes (love me some lululemon!) :)
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I always love reading these!!

We don't seem to get a lot of these people though at our gym. Which is a YMCA. I see few treadmill hangers holding on for dear life, once in a great while a weight dropper, and some weird dressers lol.

But as someone who WORKS at the gym, there's some things that annoy me

1. Guys who have no sense of time or just don't care and I have to shuffle them out of the basket ball court just so I can go home at night!

2. People who ask to borrow stuff. "Can I borrow a swim cap?" Would you like to borrow someone else's underwear too?

3. People who think closing time means that's when they should get changed and showered. Thats when you should be out the door.

4. People who don't return items back to the desk (basketballs, soccer balls, etc..)

5. People who eat in the gym.

6. People who bring their kids to fitness classes????!!!!!

Im sure ill think of more lol

Anyone else work at a gym and got some rants! hahaha
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How about mr 2 in legs:

I watched a guy put 350lbs on a squat rack then proceed to do 3 sets of 6, each rep moved the bar a total of 2 inches. Follow that up with loading the leg press machine with "all the weight in the gym" only to move the sled 2 inches. On top of that he left all the weight on the squat rack. just to make sure everyone could see how much weight he moved... Dude got more of a workout loading the machines... I laughed....
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options

So does the fact that I wear lululemon make me less of Ms All Business? I can still be all business regardless of what I am wearing.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

These topics can be funny sometimes, but usually I feel like they are waaaay too judgmental. Earlier today I replied to a post where a woman was worried about what other people thought about her at the gym. I guess I lied to her because I told her that people come to the gym to improve themselves, not judge others. And then this topic shows up. Where we judge people by if their clothes are too nice(?!?!), if they talk to their friends, if the woman didn't take off her makeup after leaving work, if they use too much or too little weight, if they are trying hard enough on the cardio machines, and if they deign to do anything in the squat rack besides squat (what, they have a dedicated deadlift station at your gym? I thought not.)

I apologize for being all Davey Downer, it's just that I don't even notice most of these other GymGuys because I'm too busy getting my money's worth when I'm at the gym. I'm in, I'm out (and I'm doing curls at your blessed squat rack too) But perhaps "Tsk, Tsk," is a cool new workout that I haven't heard of yet.

Fully agree with the above

Sure some of these are funny and Interesting stories... But where do all of you fit in then?
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    - The De-Racker - We all know this guy... he likes to load up the bar, or grab sets of dumbbells, or load all of the 45s on the Leg Press, but NEVER Re-Racks his weights. "Yah buddy, your mom is right behind you, picking up your mess. Don't worry about the rest of us who expect the weights to be put back where they belong so we can use them as well. You just do your own thang."

Yep this all the time, like I want to unload 15 45 plates to do my workout on the leg press

If you follow someone like that, embarass the cr@p out of him by telling him to rack this weights. I maybe mr @sshole in the gym, but I will tell a dude to re rack his weights or wipe off a bench.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I almost forgot about the guy with one leg on the elliptical going like 3 times as fast as I was. There are people at the gym who can actually be inspiring.