Do you eat low carb?

Options

Replies

• TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Low carb is not a sustainable diet. With that being said, i will be doing a low-carb, high protein, high fat diet in the for only two weeks to really start to shred up for my competition then go back to a healthy balanced diet.
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My body reacts best when it is low-carb as long as I cycle (and personally, I like to live like that as well, as a lifestyle, not as a diet).

Normally I stay between 65-80grams of Carbs per day. Today I tried to stay under 40grams and I was a bit scary! Short fuse, really hungry and because it was low low carb, it was hard to wrap my head around eating something else to compensate.

Definitely will not make a habit of going this low. I tried it. Doesn't work for me.
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I can't, I really can't. I live on them. It would probably benefit me, but every single thing I love and crave is carb heaven.

THIS^
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Low carb is not a sustainable diet. With that being said, i will be doing a low-carb, high protein, high fat diet in the for only two weeks to really start to shred up for my competition then go back to a healthy balanced diet.

I agree with this to a certain extent. Right now I try and average 50 or 60 grams per day. It helps me lose pretty quickly. Once I reach my goal weight I will slowly add more HEALTHY carbs to my diet. At that point I plan to average 120-150 or so. Before, when I paid no attention to what I ate, I could easily consume 300. That's just unnecessary. So compared to that, I think 120-150g is low, but sustainable.
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options

I agree with this to a certain extent. Right now I try and average 50 or 60 grams per day. It helps me lose pretty quickly. Once I reach my goal weight I will slowly add more HEALTHY carbs to my diet. At that point I plan to average 120-150 or so. Before, when I paid no attention to what I ate, I could easily consume 300. That's just unnecessary. So compared to that, I think 120-150g is low, but sustainable.

I agree with the poster above. Carbs in excess (or anything for that matter), will pack on the pounds. I am doing the same thing, staying quite low with carbs, and then slowly adding them back in for maintenance. Not only is it a mathematical equation for our bodies, but it is also a mind game for those who love carbs (like moi)

Last year I lost 45lbs in 5 months keeping my carbs above 100g. This time I am keeping my carbs between 50-70 (sometimes I'll try a bit lower once a week) and I have already lost 12lbs in 2 weeks. I guess it really depends on the person, but so far the carb cutting has worked well for me, and has given me a chance to reinvent my wheel with a different assortment of protein healthy foods!
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have tried this a number of times. I cannot maintain it. I measure carbs to monitor portion-size (because I really like them and I'd over-eat if I didn't) and enjoy them daily. I like fruit. I like rice and I like bread, so I have them.

I realized that I need to eat in a way that I can do for the rest of my life. Low-carb isn't it.
  • NeverEverEasy
    Options
    If anything I eat high carb because it works for me and I can't make it throughout the day without them.
    :))
  • AKBD10
    AKBD10 Posts: 5
    Options
    I started low carbing on April 2nd, mostly because I was told by a Paleo friend that it would basically get rid of my acid reflux for good. I figured I'd give it a shot because I was having bad side effects from the PPI I was on for the reflux. Since April 2nd, my reflux has been gone (except on the few days that I have "cheated") and I have not taken a PPI since March 31st. I do have a history of kidney stones, and just had another one on May 23rd. I'm not sure if LCing brought this one on or not, but I don't plan to stop LCing anytime soon. Not only has it gotten rid of my acid reflux, but I've also lost 20lbs since I started.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I try to stay between 100-120 grams a day. I cut back when I discovered skin tags and darkish patches under my arms, which I've heard are signs of insulin resistance. Oddly enough, though, I find my weight drops faster when I eat at the higher range of my carb goal. I don't like the high fat aspect of most low carb diets. High fat makes me feel like junk.
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If anything I eat high carb because it works for me and I can't make it throughout the day without them.
    :))

Lol, same
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Me. Under 50g a day. Was told to eat this was by my endocrinologist, and it is the way I feel best (most energetic and in control of my eating, not tired and craving ALL.THE.TIME. Works for me :)
  • mittyerica
    mittyerica Posts: 13
    Options
    50-100, but I am wondering if that is enough while doing Kickboxing and Insanity (separate days!). I got run down this week.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I aim for roughly 100 g carbs and 80g protein. I do insanity and P90X on alternating days plus dance 3-4 times per week so super low carb leaves me feeling lazy and in a brain fog. I also work and I'm a full time student so brain fog would be a disaster!
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do. I've been trying really hard to stick to 50g/day, but some days I just can't do it and end up around 100g. However, as an Italian, all my life I've been eating 200-250, so anything under that is better for me. I definitely feel better when I'm low carbing, and I'm a lot less hungry. My weakness (and what I usually "spend" 1/2 of my days carbs on) is slow churned ice cream. I stick to a small portion a few nights a week.
  • heathersantiago
    Options
    I am keeping my carbs between 20 and 30 grams a day... with working out at least an hour a night... 5 days a week.. working so far!
  • caitles14
    caitles14 Posts: 89
    Options
    Nope...I love me my carbs, and I don't really see how that's a bad thing. Most of the carbs I eat are whole grain, complex carbs...the "good for you" kind so to speak. Now bring on my bowl of cereal! ;)
  • PaulJRaymond
    PaulJRaymond Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Used to do low carb, but eventually the cravings were too much and found I was hungry all the time. Now I try to limit carbs a bit, but mainly have swapped to brown rice, brown pasta and wholewheat bread. Would only have 50 grams of pasta or rice at a sitting, so lower than the recommended portions. Apart from this I get a lot of my carbs now from fruit and during summer this is easy and enjoyable. This regime is working for me, sticking to 1500/1600 calories per day with 3/5 hours of exercise a week and not getting hungry at all.
  • BigPapaGato
    BigPapaGato Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I eat paleo/primal and have my carb limit at Just under 100g per day. I stay awayfrom grains, breads and rice and it's been getting easier day by day.
  • preferthebeach
    Options
    I try to eat low carb most of the time. I have found that by just giving up the processed products....bread, white pasta, white sugars, I can get by really well. Seems if I eat them, I just lose control and eat and eat and eat! So for me it is better to avoid them. I get the carbs that I do eat thru either fruits or veggies. I try to keep it less than 50 grams a day, but if I go over that's okay!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I went low-carb as an experiment (came across Mark's Daily Apple). I removed grains, legumes, most fruit, sugars, most dairy. I increased my fat - especially saturated fat! - and I removed processed/packaged foodlike substances and products. Best thing I ever did. The only oils I use are coconut, olive, butter (pastured), bacon fat (uncured bacon) and avocado oil.

I used to eat oatmeal and an apple for breakfast and within 90 minutes my blood sugar would skyrocket and then crash and I would end up shaking like a leaf and "starving" (wasn't hunger. it was the crash). now I eat bacon and eggs (or eggs and leftover meat) usually for a late, late breakfast and don't need food until dinner.

Unfortunately I managed to do some damage to my metabolism (diabetes in my family) before I got healthy (first 6 months on the Standard Amercian Diet eating low-calorie and low-fat didn't fix me) so the experiment turned out to be the exact thing my body needed.
    And the grain proteins (gluten and gliadins) were destroying my gut and stopping my body from getting the necessary nutrients. Primal Blueprint is what it took for me to lose my belly and get my body back. I was pretty sick.

My daily fat intake is around 60%-70% of my calories. I get around 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass - sometimes more, sometimes less. I am slowly trying to incorporate more starchy veggies back. I don't eat carbs on their own because the fat is what slows down the response (fat is slow to leave the stomach), not the fiber. Brown rice hits my blood the same way as white rice - there is just a delay in the response.

Sorry, I rambled...:blushing: