Sad day.. Putting my dog to sleep

Options
digitalbill
digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
I picked up my mixed breed (German Shepard/Chow) puppy from the Palm Beach animal rescue on April 4th, 1998.
I named this little bundle of red fur "Kevlar" and presented him to my fiancé (now my wife), as an engagement gift.
As the years went by, he became a wonderful pet, protector, and companion. We always felt safe knowing that Kevlar would growl if there was something strange going on. He somehow knew the difference between someone simply walking past and someone looking to start trouble.
I felt safe working the night shift. I knew Kevlar would protect my wife.
I would take him to the beach and, our little routine was to hit the Dunkin Donuts drive thru for a cup of coffee. The lady at the window would hand him a munchkin every time. Kevlar always was very careful NOT to bite whoever was feeding him. In 14 years, he never once bit anyone even on accident while hand feeding.
As we all got a little bit older, we eventually moved from that crappy neighborhood and into a nicer one where we had our Son.
Kevlar insisted on sleeping under his crib. When people would come to play with the baby, Kevlar would walk over to the door and just stand there. Almost like a bouncer.
As my son and later, my daughter, got a bit older, they would play with Kevlar out in the yard. Typically it was a tug-o-war with an old towel.
For much of this year, he has really started to show his age. He moves slow and is in obvious pain.
Monday night, we came home to him being unable to get up off the floor. We were finally able to lift him up and take him outside (he could not navigate the Doggy door). He was in a massive amount of pain and, I seriously contemplated putting him out of his misery that night. We were up with him all night and thought that he was finished. My wife gave him some Children’s Motrin and that seems to have helped the pain.
Last night, we talked about it and the decision was made to take him to the vet to finally put him to rest. In looking at him this morning, it is the right decision. His breathing is labored. He is in pain. My wife is taking care of this later this morning.
It sucks.

Replies

• cyoung6621
    cyoung6621 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am soooo sorry. This brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful dog he is. I am a huge animal lover and feel that they are a four legged part of the family too as I can see you do as well. I often wish that dogs would out-live the owner as I look at my aging dog. I wish you the best of memories with your fury companion. Take care
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry :( I'm nearly in tears

I have a cat who I love to pieces and I'm dreading about that day!

Hope you and your family stay strong through this difficult time xx
  • Salamanda425
    Salamanda425 Posts: 358
    Options
    So sorry for your loss! Losing a family member (which they are) is so tough! Best wishes to you and your family!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. We had to put down our 16 year old Irish Setter 2 years ago, and it was the hardest thing we had to do. You should go and be with your wife and Kevlar when he's at the Vet. Sending my positive vibes to you and yours.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    They get so deeply embedded into our hearts and lives it's almost as though we gave birth to them ourselves. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family today.... you are making the right decision, when you take an animal into your life you are also agreeing to doing the right thing when the time is right.... the time is definately right... *hugs*
  • iwillrideagain
    Options
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
  • TimN1974
    TimN1974 Posts: 32
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. I had to do this some years ago with a 16 year old family pet that we had gotten when my kids were pre-teens. It was mid-April, so I took her to the vet on April 15th, figuring that day was already a sad day, and we could remember Tammy Dog each year on that day. It is a hard decision to make, but you need to do what is best for the pet. A life in pain in suffering is not what they sign up for when they give so many years of love and joy.
  • Notorious_T
    Notorious_T Posts: 384
    Options
    hugs to you
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    We decided to give our Son (now 11 years old) a heads up on it last night. He took it hard.
    This morning he asked me about getting another puppy.
    I am not sure it is the best idea right now.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Truly a sad day for you and your family. I have had to make this decision three times, most recently in April. It wasn't easy but I know it was the right thing to do.

Kevlar will always have a special place in your hearts and all dogs do go to Heaven.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I have found with our family a new puppy makes a big difference, the house will seem so "empty" when he is gone.... a puppy adds life again.... we have had to part with 3 dogs in our household, and we tried each time to live without a dog, it just seems too quiet and too clean and too hair free LOL

A new puppy always seem to lift my kids spirits and my husband and I's as well.......
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear this, stay strong.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    So sorry, pets are such a big part of our lives, and it's such a void when they are no longer there. ((HUGS))
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I'm so so sorry for you. I had to make just this decission when my Yorkie's health failed. It's tough, but it would be a whole new level of tough to watch them suffer.

Hugs to you & your family.

XX
  • VaporsWorld
    VaporsWorld Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you. This brings back memories of just over a year ago when I made this decision. Not that I don't think of him every day any how. Still haven't gotten another, just can't. I am sorry.
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    FollowThatUnicorn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

I've had to do this before and I have 2 dogs now that are my kids. I understand how tough it is.

As far as a new dog, things will happen as they are meant to. If you are meant to have another dog, somehow things will work out and one will find you :)
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to make that decision! :frown:
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
    i love this, thankyou so much...i had to recently put my puppy to sleep at the age of nearly one year old.
    im so, so sorry for you and my thoughts are with you...its a hard time.
    my dog i have now looks after me whilst my patner works nights, in a similar situation to you, he was the brother to the puppy i lost..
    sending you and family big cuddles. animals mean so, so much.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    My heart breaks for you and your family. I had to make this tough decision for my kitty, Ruin, last year. He had a stroke and became paralyzed. I couldn't bear to look at him anymore, knowing how miserable he was not being able to get up and play and chase our other cat. He was only 2 years old, too soon :(
    Sometimes we have to love our pets more than our own happienss, and put our selfishness aside to do what's best for them.
    Good luck.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Sorry too hear about your loss. I can only imagine how upsetting it is.