Sad day.. Putting my dog to sleep

Options

Replies

• Steve_FromThe_Rock
    Steve_FromThe_Rock Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear that...Stay strong my friend....
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post. Obviously you have such a strong bond with Kevlar. Pets can be such a part of your soul that losing one is like losing a part of you, too. I am sure that once he is out of pain, he'll continue watching over you and your family while enjoying running around and eating more munchkins.
  • high5girl
    high5girl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how emotionally connected we are to our pets. They really are like a memeber of the family. I'm sorry for your loss.
  • snix1024
    snix1024 Posts: 81
    Options
    I am so very sorry. I am been there and it is tough. Hold on to those memories.
  • HaleyJoAnn
    HaleyJoAnn Posts: 50
    Options
    I had my dog for 16 years... when we had to put her too sleep, I seriously cried for 2 weeks nonstop...

I really do feel so sorry for you....
  • jlong7774
    jlong7774 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry to hear this. My yellow lab is 10 and starting to slow down. It is going to happen before I know it and I am not looking forward to it. Hang in there.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Stay with Kevlar until the very end. Let your family be the last people he sees before he falls into his peaceful sleep.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to read this :-( I have 2 dogs myself that I love so dearly. It's never an easy decision to make but you just have to remember all the memories you and your family have with Kevlar.
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear the sad news. It truly is hard having to put pets to sleep and I've had to do that twice so far. It will be hard for you and your family. Do of course, talk. talk to each other about how he enriched your lives and the fun things you do with him. It takes time to heal. Thank you for sharing, I had to respond after going through this myself. The first time was hard enough, but then it happened again and second time round we had kids dealing with the loss also. Do whats best for Kevlar hey. You are so fortunate to have him live a long life. That is one blessing for you all. I will think of your Kevlar when I wear my 'kevlar' lined motorbike jeans and go cruising. If Kevlar liked sticking his head out the window, like our dog does, it'll be an enjoyable cruise thinking of him doing just that hey riding in the wind. Chin up matey. It is hard, it is a sad part of life, so let him live on by celebrating the good time and the memories in your family hey. cheers.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    :(

I went through this exact thing a year ago Friday with my shep Gunner.
    I'm so sorry you and your family are having to experience it, it's so heartbreaking.
    Sending healing vibes to you and your family.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My dog is truly a part of my family as well. You should be proud you gave your dog such a happy life. So many dogs do not have this luxury. I understand your pain! HUGS!
  • jwshmoe75
    jwshmoe75 Posts: 119
    Options
    So sorry. I was in your shoes last yr. June 9th will make it a yr since my baby Jazz has been gone. Your dog sounds like he was wonderful and very loyal to you all. As much as it break you inside your doing the right thing and ending his suffering. I hope you find the comfort and peace you need through this.
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Aww......I'm sorry. Putting a pet down is one of the hardest, but one of the most important things you can do. A life of constant pain is no life at all. Hugs!!!!!
  • allysabee
    allysabee Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your doggy :( We had to put our 2 year old poodle down last July because he had liver disease. It was a really hard time and in only 2 years we honestly felt like he had been in our family forever. I love you Joey <3

My thoughts & prayers are with you and your family and your pooch! Stay strong :) And just remember that time heals all.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your pain. We had our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Pip, put to sleep only 8 days ago so I understand completely what you are going through. They are your companions, never judging, giving unconditional love and loyalty.

My heart breaks for you. We are lucky to have two other dogs (Jack Russell Terriers) who have been a great comfort to us in the past week. To be able to bury your face in their fur and feel their warmth is a true blessing. About 6 years ago we lost our 2 dogs in the space of 5 weeks, from a personal viewpoint I can only say that coming home to a quiet house was awful, and though we swore we'd never have another dog we somehow ended up with another three.

I hope that you and your family you can take some comfort in the fact that Kevlar owned people capable of returning the love and loyalty he gave to them :cry: :heart:

And by the way, I have held all three of ours while they've been put to sleep, but my husband hasn't been able to come with me as he was just too upset. I just felt that I wanted them to be with their family at the end and couldn't let them be on their own x
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Aw I'm so sorry!! It's such a hard decision, but it sounds like he's in a lot of pain :(. I feel for you, and for your son. I was his age when we had to put my dalmatian down due to cancer. It's rough.
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    It's the hardest decision. Sucks to play God. For this I truly think I will not bring another pet home. We had to put our Corgy down in October....I was devastated and stopped all forms of exercise and just ate out of boredom and sadness... She's still just around the corner for me. It takes time to heal, as it does for any forever parting. I now enjoy watching and listening to the birds that share our garden. They come and go free as the birds they are and I'm grateful to be able to be there to enjoy it.
    Big hugs to you and your family.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My heart aches for you. My Missy is 15. One day, I'll have to make this same decision.

If It Should Be

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    And pain should keep me from my sleep
    Then you must do what must be done
    For this, the last battle, cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand
    Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
    For this day, more than the rest
    Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years
    What is to come can hold no fears
    You would not want me to suffer so
    The time has come, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
    Only, stay with me til the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will see
    It is a kindness you do to me
    Although my tail its last has waved
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve it should be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do
    We've been so close we two these years
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    That is probably one of the hardest decisions we have to make for our furbabies. It's the final act of love that we provide for them. Thoughts are with you.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. You're making the right decision, even though it's heartbreaking. May you and your family find peace in all of this.