Sad day.. Putting my dog to sleep

Options

Replies

• speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. I know how horrible it feels, but you took the right decision.

I had to put down my son's horse 3 years ago. It was heartbreaking, but there
    was nothing that we could have done... it was the only thing to do.

And still to this day, I know I've made the right decision, even though we still
    miss him, every day. The pain had slowly been replace with good memories.

I salute your courage. You thought of him, and not of you. A lot of people can't
    do that.

My condolences to you and your family. :heart:
  • znm100
    znm100 Posts: 148
    Options
    I'm so sorry... that is one of the toughest things in the world to do. But it's the right thing. You don't want him to be in pain.
  • stevepierson
    stevepierson Posts: 119
    Options
    I understand how you feel. The only time that my kids have really seen me cry is the day I had to put our 14 year old dog down.
  • gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't sound rude in asking this.. but I want to see pics of Kevlar.. Let's all remember him together.. I have a beagle who is 15 now.. and she's really slowing down so I suspect i'm getting to your point soon.. but her face is all white and grey.. i love old dogs.. they look like they've lived a full life..
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you and your family. It's the most heartbreaking and yet the kindest act we can do for the unconditional love they give us. Kelvar sounds like a great dog. Be with your wife and family today and say goodbye and see you later to your beloved friend.

I have a 3 year old lab mix and my heart aches for when this day will come. But, for the gifts they give us, it's the least we can do.
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Words cannot express how sorry I am for your loss. You can see my shepherd/chow mix (Jack) in my profile picture and I can't imagine not being able to wrap my arms around that giant fur-ball and get the best hugs in return. He can chase and catch his tail like no other and even manages to sneak up on it! Our stories are so similar with the night shift and the gentleness of taking treats, but the Dunkin Doughnuts is all yours, what a special routine you guys have :) My thoughts are with you and your family.
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss, sometimes that is the best way to keep them from suffering, We have a 19 year old cat that neither my wife nor I can bring ourselves to take her in. She was the same way, she would go outside when the kids were young and sit on our car in the driveway and watch the kids play and when they were done she would be right on their heels coming back into the house. We know the day is coming, we have to do what's best when the time comes
  • LaxJac
    LaxJac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. For someone that has the luxory to work in the Pet Business and take my best friend (Eli) to work, it was hard for me to find out last month that he had Stage 4 Lymphoma. He is currently going through his Chemo treatments, but I am starting to mentally prepared myself for the day you are facing today. Like your dog, mine preceded my wife, and three children and we have a incredible bond. In the end, you provided Kevlar with an incredible life, and a peaceful passing.
  • KennyGJr007
    Options
    Sorry to hear. Hang in there.

I've had to put my cat to sleep, and it's not an easy thing to do. I know it's not the same kind of pet, but the pain of having to put to sleep any animal you've had for a long time, is hard.

Remember the good times, and I hope you guys get through this together.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    SO VERY SORRY!!! I know how hard this can be! Thoughts to you and your family!!!
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My condolences. Losing a pet is very, very hard.
  • BG10708
    BG10708 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You lost a treasured family member - I am sorry for your loss. :-(
  • IllianaIman
    IllianaIman Posts: 131
    Options
    So sorry :cry:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    So sorry! They are family members. I had to put my special friend to sleep, too. God bless you!
  • pitbulllover
    pitbulllover Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    That was so beautifully put and made me cry. I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I'm so very sorry. But you are an awesome friend to him to see that he gets the care he needs and to be with him on his final day. Kevlar had a wonderful home. God bless.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I had a mini daschound for 13 and a half years. He was high maintenance and I wouldn't trade those years for anything. Major back surgery gave him an extra 5 and a half years. Finally his body just couldn't handle any more pain. I had him cremated and he sits on my nightstand shelf with his sweater, a bag of dog hair from the sweater I wore the day I took him in, and a picture.

I now have four cats so no more dogs for now. But one day I will own a Rottweiler.

Thoughts go out to you. It's rough but sometimes is the best thing you can do for your pet when it is suffering.
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    My heart goes out to you, it is such a horrible decision to make. Warmest thoughts sent your way. No more suffering for your best friend, though I know it won't ease your heart ache.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I've been there. :( It was about 12 years ago, but I still remember how it felt.

The best advice I can give you is to know this is something good you are doing for your dog. We don't want our loved ones to suffer and you are ending the suffering.
    It doesn't make the pain of loss any less, but it helps a with the process to remember this.

Just be there and hold your dog. It happens very quickly so be prepared for that.
    The last advice I can give, and this sounds strange, is not to look into your dogs eyes when it happens. This is something I wish I hadn't done. I also wish someone had told me how quickly it happens. But as I said, you are doing the right thing.

Take care.
  • NKolhar
    NKolhar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that I have always dreaded such situations and its really unfortunate its happening to you but it seems like ur doing the right thing.MY condolences. Its hard to loose a family pet.