Why are you here? No, for real...

Options
Merithyn
Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
Okay, so a confession: In 13 months, I'll be going to a family reunion where I'll get to meet up with two of my first cousins who are almost exactly my age (all of us were born in December 1969). One of them regularly runs half-marathons and looks fantastic. The other just lost 50 pounds and is 110 lbs. soaking wet. All three of us look very much alike, though one is blond, one is brunette, and one is a redhead (that's me!). We're all of a similar height, similar build, and similar personality.

I do NOT want to be the ONE that looks fat and frumpy when we're all three standing together. That is why I'm finally so very serious about losing this damn weight. I know, shallow reason, but it's my reason and it's getting my butt in motion. :angry:

There. I feel better admitting that. I mean, sure, sure, I want to be healthy, too, and I want good blood pressure and blood sugar, and blah blah blah - but really, I just don't want to be "the one" that let herself go. :blushing:

Now, pass the wine. :drinker:

So, what finally made YOU take the plunge? Not the one you tell everyone ("I wanted to get healthy!" "I wanted my kids to look up to me!") I mean the other reason, the one buried deep inside that you know is shallow as hell but it worked. (I have nothing against the public reason, it's just... public. I'd rather hear the other reason(s), that's all.)

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I was getting chubs and felt uncomfortable. I wanted to be comfortable enough to walk around in the nude.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    About 12 years ago, I failed an FAA medical exam and almost lost my chance at my pilot's license, which would have wasted a great deal of training money I had pre-paid for. I basically failed it because I was fat - my blood pressure was high, my fitness level was low, and I was basically a train wreck who had avoided doctor's offices for over a decade. I worked really hard and got the blood pressure under control, then started work on the weight.

I'm here now because it took me 12 years to understand the concept that starvation diets do not work long-term. I've been yo-yoing for too many years. It's time to start eating back exercise calories and do it slow and steady this time. I'm well over 40 now, and I've wasted 30 years being fat.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Initially, I wanted to be able to run a 5k and do the Warrior Dash with my brother and my niece... and be able to keep up with them. I was at my heaviest weight, but still fairly comfortable with how I looked. I really didn't think I would or could lose weight, since every other weight loss attempt ended in failure and disappointment. I'm glad I was wrong. :happy:
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I got very chubby after having my baby and not exercising at all. needed to kick my own butt and get back into it. so glad i did!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Because I want to be hot and smokin' sexy.

There, I said it. I feel better now. :smokin:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Right now? I'm the chubby friend *sigh* I kinda don't like being the chubby friend...
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I was FAT and was disgusted by the sight of myself in a mirror.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    MFP in general - get an idea of what I eat/drink

Forums - to pass the time while at work
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    diabeetus_cat.jpg
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I was disgusted by last years holiday pics. :sick: I didn't realise how fat I was until I saw myself photgraphed in a pair of shorts and sleeveless T-shirt :blushing:

I was the biggest I'd ever been and decided enough was enough. Plus, I'll be turning 40 in Sept and I refuse to be a fat middle aged woman! :laugh:
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Wanted a hot bod.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I started because my sister was getting married and she was already losing weight. I didn't want to be the fat bridesmaid. I looked good even though I didn't make it to my goal.

I also did it to get the attention of a man who already had a girlfriend. They've broken up now, but he still isn't interested so I guess it wasn't meant to be. But I firmly believe that me in a healthier, firmer body IS meant to be so I'm not going to give up.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of me at Christmas time and I was like oh no, no, no!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I started because my sister was getting married and she was already losing weight. I didn't want to be the fat bridesmaid. I looked good even though I didn't make it to my goal.

I also did it to get the attention of a man who already had a girlfriend. They've broken up now, but he still isn't interested so I guess it wasn't meant to be. But I firmly believe that me in a healthier, firmer body IS meant to be so I'm not going to give up.

I love you sweetheart *smooches*
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I love you sweetheart *smooches*

Thanks, dear! :heart:
  • yeahihavewillpower
    Options
    I want to convince myself that I'm not a person who keeps on starting to do things and not finishing it well. I'm actually below 18 (sorry for that but I just want to lose weight REALLY) and I'm starting to worry about my future. I want to look good and fit those beautiful clothes and I want to fulfill my dream of being an idol (like the ones in Kpop hehe). I don't really know why I wanted that kind of dream but those kind of dreams are the ones you just feel inside :D Soooo, I guess I'm here for that :D
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I started here because I was at my heaviest and was experiencing health issues. I stayed because of all the crazy innapropriate friends I found.

This place would be boring if all we talked about was what type of running shoes to buy and good fat vs bad fat.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    diabeetus_cat.jpg

hahaha

I am here because I hated how I spent last summer....covered up and sweating bullets! haha Plus, my wedding in Vegas is just around the corner and I wanted to look smoking hot for my big day!
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    I feel uncomfortable and constantly worry about whether I look fat, I'm here to lose weight and be happy with myself
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Im fat. I dont want to be fat. I am losing said fat.