Should I eat McDonalds?

Options
I'm really craving it! Hahaha

If I do choose to have it, it won't be until tomorrow for lunch (planning ahead!). I'll just have a small chips and a McChicken burger with no mayonnaise, and I can easily fit it into my calorie intake (1,250).

I'm torn between my "within calorie goal = okay" mentality (as I want to live like this forever, a lifestyle change) and that little voice in my head that's like "NO. People on MFP will hate you because you're trying to lose weight and eating junk! BAD" Hahaha

I suppose this also applies to other areas of my diet... should I work in some chocolate/treats every day into my daily intake? I think that as long as its within my target calories its okay, but that just can't be right! I can't possibly lose eating junk....can I?

To eat McDonalds or to not? That is the question...

Replies

• MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    No. I haven't had McDonalds in years ... don't do it!
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My view is that if you really want to eat something, and it's within your calorie allowance, then it's better to have it and enjoy it than to start to obsess over it. I let myself have junk food once or twice a week if I really want it, also a high calorie meal can boost your metabolism.... provided that you're not having them too often and you're staying within your calorie allowance and eating healthy the rest of the time. i.e. the 90% rule... if 90% of what you eat is healthy then the other 10% won't hurt.

The exception would be if someone can't have one thing as a treat because then they're unable to stop eating treats/junk, or if you're allergic/intolerant to the food in question. In those situations never having those foods would be a better option. But IMO if you can have a treat meal/snack without it making you ill or messing up your eating for the rest of the week, then go for it.

For me it wouldn't be McD's though, there's better and more filling junk food out there!!
  • simatif
    simatif Posts: 32
    Options
    I do it now and then. I try to keep it within my cals for the day, and i know i will notice it on the scale for a few days after ( sodium) There are quite a few cheats I have from time to time, you're allowed ;) But, if you think it will open a pandora's box, wait until you are ready.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    The last time I ate there I got the worst tummy ache! It fit into my calories, but I still regretted it.
    If you are really craving it then do it. You may notice how gross it seems to you now and you wont crave it again.
    I mean I cant even look at the chicken, it is so processed and nasty. I dont know how I use to eat there so much before.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Yeah, why not? Make it fit into your daily calorie allowance.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Only if you like it. Have the cals for it eat it. Not difficult.
  • moea432
    moea432 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    if your craving it i would say do it otherwise you could indulge on other things to fill in the craving....but do it minimally and maybe even exercise a little more that day!
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    In my mind, it's better to plan ahead and eat something you normally wouldn't than deny yourself and end up binging on something worse later on because you're craving it.
  • geo4314
    geo4314 Posts: 6
    Options
    I would eat it,,,and occasionally I do,,,everything in moderation,,,and have never noticed a difference on the scale:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calorie goals, eat it if you want it.

/endthread
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    There are no wrong answers if you can fit it into your caloric intake and you concentrate on filling the rest of your calories that day with very healthy food. Also, watch the sodium - it'll probably kick you up an extra pound or two the next day. Don't panic.
  • dodgersprincess
    Options
    I love McDonalds too, but what I would do it put it in the diary 1-4 days in advance (I am going to do this too since I am going to Carrows on monday and it worked this year for my birthay) and plan the other meals around it. Then make sure you head to the gym each day afterward and before. My TOPS pals just say to plan your day accordingly.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    for me, I am not on a diet ..so unless I plan on never having mcd's again .. then yes, I eat it and fit it into my calories
    it doesn't mean I eat it every day .. but every now and then is fine ...

enjoy your meal
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Never try to fit a lifestyle change decision to what you think MFPers (or anyone else really) will think of you. Unless you live the rest of your life based on whether or not random people approve of what you're doing.

Enjoy the McDonalds if you can work it in.
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My view is that if you really want to eat something, and it's within your calorie allowance, then it's better to have it and enjoy it than to start to obsess over it.

I totally agree with this, however I don't eat at McDonalds. If I have fast food its usually Subway or grilled chicken w/no mayo on a wheat bun at Sonic.
  • cwatson1214
    cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Can you choose another fast food place to help satisfy your craving???? Chik-fil-A is ,uch better, Wendys next. McDonalds is the worst. I know it is tasty but what about pink slime?????
  • tnmomof3
    tnmomof3 Posts: 177
    Options
    no mcdonalds for me jus gross
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as its within my target calories its okay, but that just can't be right! I can't possibly lose eating junk....can I?

It sounds like you know that you can, but you're just being superstitious or something. Have the McDonald's for chrissakes.

edited to fix typo
  • psideon
    psideon Posts: 24
    Options
    I say eat it. Satisfy your cravings (maybe reduce the portion size so you get the emotional fix and less of a calorie hit) and move on. One meal a week is fine. God willing, you'll probably find that after not having it for so long, it no longer holds as much satisfaction as your remember. Diet Coke and fast food burgers now taste strange and funky for me after just 2.5 weeks of eating healthy.

Work through it and Good Luck!
  • BecomingElle
    BecomingElle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I guess it all really comes down to myself and what I can live with, like you're all saying :) hahaha

But on a side note, I live in Australia so McDonalds isn't quite as bad and/or big as it can be in the U.S! Hahaha Of course it's still fatty fast food