Should I eat McDonalds?

Options

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Ok, so here's the deal. I am a reformed fast food addict and I say no to McDonalds. What I have found is that even the healthy choices at fast food joints are loaded with calories and sodium. The last time I ate at McDonalds, it left this greasy feeling in my mouth and this heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach which my body promptly ejected! If you gotta eat out, make it subway.

just playing Devil's advocate here, but you are aware of the amounts of sodium Subway contains? It's honestly not a heck of a lot better (or worse).

It's a craving she's having, not something she said she wants to eat daily.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Ok, so here's the deal. I am a reformed fast food addict and I say no to McDonalds. What I have found is that even the healthy choices at fast food joints are loaded with calories and sodium. The last time I ate at McDonalds, it left this greasy feeling in my mouth and this heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach which my body promptly ejected! If you gotta eat out, make it subway.

No offense intended -- but have you ever checked out the fat and sodium content at Subway? And you *do* realize that their food isn't always as "fresh" as they claim? http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-44040122/at-subway-customers-really-arent-eating-as-fresh-as-they-think/

OMG yes! The sodium content at Subway is off the chart!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

just playing Devil's advocate here, but you are aware of the amounts of sodium Subway contains? It's honestly not a heck of a lot better (or worse).

It's a craving she's having, not something she said she wants to eat daily.

I'll add that IMO, it smells bad too. I can't be the only one!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    If you gotta eat out, make it subway.
    Yes, because Subway's sammiches come straight from the Garden of Eden and have absolutely no sodium or calories.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I eat there almost daily. Being a single guy it is a challenge for me to always eat at home. Typically I have a Large Light Lemonade and an Ice Cream Cone as a daily snack. For breakfast sometimes I get their fruit and yogurt parfait or their new Oatmeal with Fruit. Once a week I treat myself to a Daily Double if I have been really good that day and fries without salt. If it is in your calories and it doesn't impact the other things you are monitoring such as salt and fat then it should work. It has worked for me so far. I am down 24 pounds as of today! : )

Ok. Dude. This might be TMI but I REALLY want to encourage you to find other ways to eat. Buy a table top bbq and some ground beef and make your own at home. It's a million times healthier. The reason I say this is because my brother ate there daily as well....and he passed away at 24 from a heart attack. His veins were completely clogged. I wish my brother had found other ways to get food, too. Please.

My 21 yr old skinny skinny cousin ate there daily- sometimes twice a day. He almost died one day when his body went into major diabetic shock. No one knew he became diabetic because he was so skinny no one thought to check. It was from the terribly unhealthy diet. He was driving when it happened also, so it was twice the risk. Not worth it!

It's really not. My brother was exercising as well. Its such a shame. Really, don't eat at McD's daily. Please stop.

My 100 year old great grandma ate there almost daily too,and died in perfect health
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

OMG tacos are gross and bad for you!

They are not "bad for you" if made with fresh veggies and grass fed organic beef that's 1/2 the fat of factory farmed.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I know that I get a super strong craving for a Quarter Pounder and fries when my period comes, and I'm going to go ahead and eat it. I'm just planning ahead for it, so that I can eat it without feeling that I'm abandoning my weight loss plan.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Actually Subway is not a good choice.

They put the same ingredient found in fertilizer to make their bread "appear" brown and healthy.
  • susanne181818
    Options
    The chicken nuggets don't seem so bad. They are all white meat and are not fried. They are heated...."nuicked". Last time I checked, the calories didn't look so bad.
  • Joyounette
    Joyounette Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In my mind, it's better to plan ahead and eat something you normally wouldn't than deny yourself and end up binging on something worse later on because you're craving it.

THIS
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating like this for the rest of my life, and it shouldn't be a punishment. If I want McDonald's, then I will fit it into my calorie allowance. Of course, I wouldn't do it every day, but once in awhile isn't going to hurt. Of course, that is just my view..and what has worked for me so far. Other people do it differently....it really depends on what you want to do.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I eat there almost daily. Being a single guy it is a challenge for me to always eat at home. Typically I have a Large Light Lemonade and an Ice Cream Cone as a daily snack. For breakfast sometimes I get their fruit and yogurt parfait or their new Oatmeal with Fruit. Once a week I treat myself to a Daily Double if I have been really good that day and fries without salt. If it is in your calories and it doesn't impact the other things you are monitoring such as salt and fat then it should work. It has worked for me so far. I am down 24 pounds as of today! : )

Ok. Dude. This might be TMI but I REALLY want to encourage you to find other ways to eat. Buy a table top bbq and some ground beef and make your own at home. It's a million times healthier. The reason I say this is because my brother ate there daily as well....and he passed away at 24 from a heart attack. His veins were completely clogged. I wish my brother had found other ways to get food, too. Please.

My 21 yr old skinny skinny cousin ate there daily- sometimes twice a day. He almost died one day when his body went into major diabetic shock. No one knew he became diabetic because he was so skinny no one thought to check. It was from the terribly unhealthy diet. He was driving when it happened also, so it was twice the risk. Not worth it!

It's really not. My brother was exercising as well. Its such a shame. Really, don't eat at McD's daily. Please stop.

My 100 year old great grandma ate there almost daily too,and died in perfect health

I know some people who smoked and lived well into their nineties. Your point is that there are always outliers??
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    The chicken nuggets don't seem so bad. They are all white meat and are not fried. They are heated...."nuicked". Last time I checked, the calories didn't look so bad.

I think that is this real problem...people actually believe that the chicken is "all white meat". It does have some white meat, but it also has so much "crap" that it just isnt worth the convenience and low cost to me
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options

I know some people who smoked and lived well into their nineties. Your point is that there are always outliers??

Yep always outliers but I think the point of the story is just because somone appears healthy they might not be and it would be my guess that several of the folks mentioned probably didn't visit their doctor recently. If you wanted "super size" me you can clearly see the adverse affects of McDonalds however there are folks that have also "lost" weight only eathing McDonalds. There is a dude that eats a Big Mac every day saw him on TV the other day and he was thin and looked healthy. Everybody is different and everybody processes food differntly. If you have high cholestoral then clearly you shouldn't be eating McDonalds daily.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    You may be right that smoking and making jerky is a decent preservative that is natural (as is some other things, like dehydrating, freezing, jaming, canning, and even some spices can prevent bacteria growth) but that doesn't explain why the bread doesn't mold. Or the french fries.
    I invite you to read the article.

Well, they failed to test organic buns so your comment about organic vs. nonorganic food is irrelevant. But I get your point about moisture. My point was about preservatives in non-organic foods.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options

Also, no one dies in perfect health.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

lightening bolt? gun shot?
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I'm really craving it! Hahaha

If I do choose to have it, it won't be until tomorrow for lunch (planning ahead!). I'll just have a small chips and a McChicken burger with no mayonnaise, and I can easily fit it into my calorie intake (1,250).

I'm torn between my "within calorie goal = okay" mentality (as I want to live like this forever, a lifestyle change) and that little voice in my head that's like "NO. People on MFP will hate you because you're trying to lose weight and eating junk! BAD" Hahaha

I suppose this also applies to other areas of my diet... should I work in some chocolate/treats every day into my daily intake? I think that as long as its within my target calories its okay, but that just can't be right! I can't possibly lose eating junk....can I?

To eat McDonalds or to not? That is the question...

If you really want this to be a lifestyle change and permanent you really should NOT give up everything you love. You can have anything that fits your macros once in a while.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

If you really want this to be a lifestyle change and permanent you really should NOT give up everything you love. You can have anything that fits your macros once in a while.

no law says you cant change the things you love. quit loving crap food and problem is solved
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options

lightening bolt? gun shot?

Ok. Point taken. :) But when people say someone died of old age, that's just a nicety,