Should I eat McDonalds?

Options

Replies

• direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am torn as well. Personally I would probably end up doing it, regretting it and moving on. I can't deny I did love the food there.

However if it is a matter of cravings you can choose to satiate them or have you ever seen the "if you are craving this... eat this...? Here is a link:

http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php

I can guarantee it isn't infallible because darn it when I want chocolate I don't want nuts and seeds, legumes, fruits but it is worth a try for a lot of constant cravings. I am not one for the holistic approach but still thought it was a great resource.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as its within my target calories its okay, but that just can't be right! I can't possibly lose eating junk....can I?

It sounds like you that you can, but you're just being superstitious or something. Have the McDonald's for chrissakes.

^^^What he said.

If it fits in the calories then go for it. You need ot have rewards here and there to keep going as others have said if you don't take a reward here and there you may just take one GIANT reward and be sorry after.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, as i don't think one meal will change much on your body.
    But eating it could cause later cravings for it. Hope this makes sense. I find this happens for me.
    But if i go a long time without say carbs or even Mc****s then i don't crave it.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • BecomingElle
    BecomingElle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as its within my target calories its okay, but that just can't be right! I can't possibly lose eating junk....can I?

It sounds like you that you can, but you're just being superstitious or something. Have the McDonald's for chrissakes.

You're right I'm being a bit petty hahaha

My mind is just trying to figure its way around the fact that if the portion is small enough, I can basically eat what I want... Very different approach to weight loss than what I've been used to! :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    so many more tasty choices...why settle for less?
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Wow. Nobody's posted the pink slime pic yet? Where are the McParanoid folks?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    If you can't find a place selling real burgers then have the McDonalds.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    FYI, if you look in my diary, last Friday I had McDonald's.

I had two cheeseburgers, medium fries, diet coke (lol), a packet of Hot Mustard sauce, and four packets of ketchup. I ate EVERY. SINGLE. BITE. And I enjoyed it too. Yummmmmmmmy!!!!!!!

I didn't log my dinner that night but I had some steak and shrimp lolipops and a few pieces of fried shrimp as well. I made sure to drink TONS of water that day. The next day, I had a pretty significant weight loss. I'm not saying that this is typical for everyone, I was suprised myself that I had not gained some water weight. What I'm trying to say is that one day of indulgence is not the end-all of your weight loss progress. As long as it does not become a habit, I think you should eat what you want.

We need to learn self-control here, while still eating the things we love. Just my two cents...
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm really craving it! Hahaha

If I do choose to have it, it won't be until tomorrow for lunch (planning ahead!). I'll just have a small chips and a McChicken burger with no mayonnaise, and I can easily fit it into my calorie intake (1,250).

I'm torn between my "within calorie goal = okay" mentality (as I want to live like this forever, a lifestyle change) and that little voice in my head that's like "NO. People on MFP will hate you because you're trying to lose weight and eating junk! BAD" Hahaha

I suppose this also applies to other areas of my diet... should I work in some chocolate/treats every day into my daily intake? I think that as long as its within my target calories its okay, but that just can't be right! I can't possibly lose eating junk....can I?

To eat McDonalds or to not? That is the question...
    This is a lifestyle change not a diet! Can you never again eat Mcdonalds? If not then have it in moderation.....everything in moderation! If it fits in your goals then yes have it otherwise you will obsess over it and begin to hate the process! DO NOT DEPRIVE YOURSELF OF ANYTHING! Just be smart about how often you have it.
    Now enjoy your Mcchicken and fries :)
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Wow. Nobody's posted the pink slime pic yet? Where are the McParanoid folks?

Someone already mentioned it.

I take my pink slime with extra ketchup and still lose weight *shrugs*
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

My mind is just trying to figure its way around the fact that if the portion is small enough, I can basically eat what I want... Very different approach to weight loss than what I've been used to! :)

It's a different approach to weight loss because it's actually an approach to life. If you deprive yourself totally, one day you're going to cave, and it won't be planned ahead, and it won't fit into your calorie budget, and you won't make up for it with some exercise, and it could be the start of a very slippery slope. I say, eat at McDonald's because you want to, you've planned it, and it fits into your daily nutrition goals.

That being said, I wouldn't eat the McChicken. I'd get a quarter pounder with cheese or something similar. But that's just me!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Eat McDonalds today, just don't eat it today, tomorrow, and everyday for a week straight.

Personally speaking, when I want McD's what I really want are the fries (and no, no one else's compare IMO). So now, when I want the fries, I get fries and skip out on the rest which I don't really want and don't have nutritional value. So I think you should figure out what item you are really craving, and just get that!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I'm sure the Mcdonalds haters will be along shortly to say you are going to die from it.
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it and you're not going over your calorie intake, why not?
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    NO!
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If you want it, have it, but it kind of knocks everything else out of the ball park calorie wise. Plan around it if you can, never eat it on a whim.

Personally I can't stand the stuff, but I'm not going to preach
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    If you do, it will kill you before you get out of the parking lot. Eat whatever you want to, it is YOUR life.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

Exactly! A calorie is a calorie. A chicken breast on a bun and some potatoes cooked in oil are not evil or what made you fat. Eating too much of them does, but so does eating too much quinoa and broccoli. Eat for yourself and to hell with what anyone thinks, especially 'net nutters.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Sure why not, I strongly feel that is has a longer term effect other than just the calories though.

I used to eat it along with other fast food once a day and even 3x a day sometimes.

Fast food is evil and not everyone is strong enough to "enjoy" it in moderation.

One of the biggest reasons I have stopped eating meat is to put another obstacle between me and the convenience of this poison. Sorry I sound harsh, if you talked to me last year it would have been an entirely different attitude.

Good luck :)